Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Mini-14 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/)
-   -   Dude! Mini!!! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/dude-mini-65123/)

TooStrongTerry 05-25-2012 10:09 AM

Dude! Mini!!!

I've been on thia forum for awhile now and have nevergbeen on this thread. I've been debating between a Mini 14 and an AR of some sort. Leaning way towards the mini. I know there's probly 1000 posts like this but what do you like about em? I want a wood stock mini I think they are GORGEOUS. I rly want IT for coyotes and HD and plinking and truck gun and...my go to tool. How reliable is it? I've heard they hold their own and are a great SHTF gun. That's what I want. Any comments?

steve4102 05-25-2012 11:39 AM

If you want a reliable "truck" gun I would go with the Mini over the AR. If you want precision accuracy I would go with the AR.

After you purchase the Mini, come back here with a range report. These guys will be able to help with improvements if needed.

tri70 05-25-2012 12:06 PM

I love the carbine style of the mini platform over the AR, we can do a few simple mods to them and they will shoot 2''-3" @ 100 out of the box. It is a fun gun to shoot and very reliable, I own 3 and always thinking I need that mini 30 tatical model for the 4th!

hawkguy 05-25-2012 01:09 PM

i really like this video i came accross on youtube. it just shows me what i like about the mini, its just such a fun gun to shoot. for practical accuracy, as this video shows, you will be happy. put some work & TLC into it, and as tri said, you can make them pretty good shooters.

i prefer a traditional rifle stock and wood and steel myself, something an AR can't offer. i also like the op/rod charging handle far better on the mini and i am not quite as comfortable with the AR's overall function. as everyone has mentioned, if putting super tight holes into paper off a bench is a major concern, the AR may make you happier. but if practical accuarcy , like displayed in the video is enough for you, the mini will make you very happy.

i have a min and an AR, and i like both. i like my mini better overall so far. not saying the mini is a bettergun, just my preference.

the only REAL downside of the mini imo. is how ruger requires it to be sent back to fix certain parts & restricts the sale of a few parts. terrible policy.

Snakedriver 05-25-2012 02:41 PM

I've got an older thin barreled Mini-14 that I've had for years and years. It's been 100% reliable and is minute-of-man accurate out to 200 yards or so. It's been a blast to shoot over the years and has killed countless numbers of beer cans.

I finally gave in to the temptation and bought an AR recently and must confess that I really like it too. I especially like the "big boy erector set" feature about it that allows me to be able to modify it myself to suit any whim I may have for it. It's been very accurate and reliable as well.

The new model Mini's have greatly enhanced accuracy, but it is still somewhat of a concern that Ruger will not sell certain parts, but rather requires it to be returned to the factory. Somewhat odd considering that every single part of the Ruger 10/22 can be bought through an independent vendor.

They are both unique rifle in their own way. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. You can always do like I did and get one of each! :cool:

TLuker 05-26-2012 03:04 AM

I was in your position about 6 months ago. I wanted a .223 carbine to keep handy, shoot some hogs with, tinker with, and have just in case the SHTF. I was trying to decide between and AR and a Mini. Three things finally convinced me to go with the mini. First, I guess I'm just old fashioned because I like the action on the mini. It's based on the same action as the M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, and M14. Second, a buddy of mine has had a mini for over 10 years. His idea of cleaning a gun is beating it against something solid to knock the rust off and I've watched him just go through magazine after magazine with out ever having a problem. I can't put into words how impressed I was that his gun could function like that after that sort of neglect. Finally, reading about mini accuracy in this section made up my mind. My biggest concern with the mini was accuracy compared to an AR. I learned here that accuracy on the new mini's has been greatly improved and there are a lot of modifications you can do to tune a mini. That made me feel better about the mini's potential for accuracy.

Now that I've had mine for a few months I can say that I made the right decision for me. I've got as much in it as I would have in a quality AR because of all the tinkering I've done, but I feel like I've got a better gun? The only failure I've ever had was today while trying some new reloads. I put an adjustable gas port on my mini and my loads were too weak for where I had the port set (and I was worried about the loads being too hot). I adjusted the setting and commenced to firing with no other problems. As for the accuracy, I have no problem doing 1" groups at 100 yards with factory ammo. I'm expecting to have groups at 3/4" or less after I find the right load. I absolutely love my mini. :)

TooStrongTerry 05-26-2012 06:03 AM

See around me I don't think id have to go over 100 yards. If I can hit the vitals I'm happy. If I can rapid fire to mess around I'm happy. If the gun looks bad sas I'm happy :) I don't shoot paper too much. I get bored real quick. I have a easier time hitting steel or moving objects than amazingly close groups. I think I'm gonna go with it. And get a warranty JIC LOL

steve4102 05-26-2012 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TooStrongTerry (Post 814696)
See around me I don't think id have to go over 100 yards. If I can hit the vitals I'm happy. If I can rapid fire to mess around I'm happy. If the gun looks bad sas I'm happy :) I don't shoot paper too much. I get bored real quick. I have a easier time hitting steel or moving objects than amazingly close groups. I think I'm gonna go with it. And get a warranty JIC LOL

Go for it. The Mini is not without it's likes and dislikes, bring it here and these guys will fix you up if need be.

hawkguy 05-26-2012 03:11 PM

if you want a stainless or tactical, they can't be had from factory with a wood stock (except one exclusive model). if you end up with a (cheap imo) poly stock, midway usa sells the old curved butt style wood stocks, which i love. very easy to switch out (just remember to get extra hardware) and then you can have both stocks like me. :)

personally, i think the stainless models and tacticals look so good in the wood stocks.....idk why ruger doesn't offer them from factory. :confused:

JTJ 05-26-2012 03:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have an AR and a Mini 30. The AR can be adjusted to fit my wife and she has a S&W M&P15-22 to practice with. I like shooting the Mini. Mine is an older 189 series and is set up as a scout. This way I can field strip it without removing the scope.