Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Cryo Treating

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Cryo Treating

I don't know about others, but having my barrel and action Cryo treared is one of the best improvements I have made to my rifle.
Even when the barrel is so hot you can't touch it for more than a couple of seconds, it's still not stringing shots and I believe more accurate.

There are different prices. I've seen them from $35.00 plus paying return shipping to $80. including return shipping.

The $80. place is the best, they invented the process. That is where I sent my barrel to. When I mentioned the $35. place, he dropped the price to $70.00.
In my opinion, the original place is by far the best. They take the barrel down to 320 below, not just 300 below like the other companys, which is better treatment. It is kept at that temp for a full 24 hours and all computer controlled as the temp changes go.

When done, he heat treats the barrel three times. The others don't.

I have no financial interest in this company, but figure if you are going to take the time and trouble to strip and send out your rifle, you might just as well get the best. Turn around was 10 days of less from when I sent it. Excellent customer service also.

When I find something exceptional, I like to pass it on to you guys. Can't figure out the name of the place, PM me.

You will find your rifle shoots much better groups after Cryo, cuts the stringing down to almost none and my barrel does not foul as quickly.
It's some of the best money you can spend.
Send it to a company that does it right. If one place is $35.00, by the time you pay return shipping, for just a little more money, you can get the best.
I've done the research on different company's for you already, use the best, it does not cost much more and is worth every dime.

Best Regards, John K

Last edited by rifleman55; 01-25-2011 at 08:01 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-25-2011, 07:08 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

While everything I've read agrees that cryogenic treatment will improve the wear resistance of the steel (and maybe harmonics too), there is still some disagreement whether it makes the steel more brittle or not. Explosives and brittle steel does not suit me well and is my only concern.

In this regard, I agree with you that if one elects to have it done, send it to the experts who know what they are doing. God forbid a fly by night company treats your barrel and subject it to extreme thermal shocks.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:31 PM   #3

I have not heard of Cryo making the barrel more brittle.
Every custom barrel maker cryo treats their barrels.
I have shot some warm loads through my Mini, no problems. I try to keep all my loads reasonable as most of the time, little is gained by using the maximum loads. I have found my Mini get the best groups with load towards the max.
One of the best powders to use with the mini if you can get it to make accurate loads is TAC. It has a very low pressure curve. Even max loads won't show any pressure signs in any gun I've loaded rounds using that powder. It gives good FPS with far lower pressure than any other powder I've used. It works best with th 60 grn on up bullets in the mini from what I have found.

John K

Last edited by rifleman55; 01-25-2011 at 08:02 PM.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've been thinking about doing it with a couple of my own weapons but I haven't yet. Thanks for the report.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-25-2011, 07:59 PM   #5

There is no down side to having the process done, that's why both of my Mini's have been treated.

John K

Old 01-25-2011, 10:48 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

BTW, I read a poor man's treatment just using dry ice. It will not bring it to -300 (just around -120) but supposed to be sufficient enough to improve the steel wear resistance by 1.2 - 2 times as compared to 6.6 - 20 times improvement with real Cryo treatment.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:40 AM   #7

I've never heard of doing it that way. I know when cryo is done, the taking it down in temp as well as bring it back to temp is critical as to timing for the Cryo to be effective.

I doubt it would hurt anything, but I think it would just be better to get it done right. By the time you buy all the dry ice you would need, you might as well as just get it treated.

John K

Old 01-26-2011, 01:17 AM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

John, go ahead and post up the name of the place you used. There's nothing wrong with naming a company that did good work for you. The only time people gripe (legitimately) is when people pimp their own goods without becoming a sponsor.

I've been seriously considering cryo treatment for my LR308. I hesitate because I've read that the gains in stainless steel are nothing near what they are in carbon steel.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:23 AM   #9

It's "300 Below" Fantastic people to work with, great service and very fast turn around. They treat the barrels on mondays so get it there as close to monday as possible.
They also do military barrels from machine gun to tank barrels.
Good people to deal with.
Not sure about the S/S barrels, call them, they seem very honest.

John K

Old 01-26-2011, 02:40 PM   #10

Liked 85 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman55 View Post
It's "300 Below" Fantastic people to work with, great service and very fast turn around. They treat the barrels on mondays so get it there as close to monday as possible.
They also do military barrels from machine gun to tank barrels.
Good people to deal with.
Not sure about the S/S barrels, call them, they seem very honest.

John K
The company I use is "300 Below" also. They originated the process and also do military contract work up to and including tank barrels.

Jim......