Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Cocking handle inoperable

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 06:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Cocking handle inoperable

I'm inspecting a mini-14 that was include in a bulk LE trade-in, and found that I'm unable to pull the locking handle to the open position - it is locked tight closed for some reason. Any advice on why/how this can occur, and how to possibly resolve?

Thanks in advance!
-don

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Be careful. My father left a round chambered in his for over a year and it had the same signs. This lead to an accidental discharge inside his house. Everyone was ok. Everyone learned a lesson.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #3

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

They may have stored the rifle without cleaning and closed the bolt. This will carbon seize after a while on the gas piston and op rod. I always store my minis bolt open with an empty mag. You may have to disassemble and spray a cleaner like brake cleaner, around the gas piston to free up the action. Also check to see if the guide rod was assembled upside down, this will make it hard to operate as well. The tang on the guide rod should be on top of the holding pin, closest to the barrel.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-23-2013, 03:49 AM   #4
jyo

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

^^^^This---the oprod can rust over the gas port---seen this a bunch on Minis not maintained well---easy fix, just grab a hunk of wood and apply to operating handle with firm rap---this will usually break it free to be taken apart and oiled. For safeties sake, make sure rifle is pointed in safe direction! Be safe...