Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Cartridge Dent

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 03:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Cartridge Dent

New owner here with a tactical series picked up last week. Put 10 rounds downrange at 50 yds with surprising accuracy on irons. After picking up ejected brass 15-20 feet away, noted small dent about midway up and scratching/minor goughing at cartridge base edge. Anything I need to be concerned about?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-08-2012, 03:35 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5129 Times on 2671 Posts
Likes Given: 311

sign of a couple possible things. overgassed (possibly), underweight buffer (very likely), light weight bolt carrier (not liekly), understrength recoil spring (possible).

whats happening is the bcg is cycling so fast the brass is thunking the rear of the ejectio port or brass deflector really hard. the scratches are a sign of that as well as the brass is being ripped from the chamber before pressure has dropped enough.

you can correct overgassing by heavier buffers and fullauto bolt carrier groups.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-08-2012, 04:32 AM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Or it is still a little too new and needs more rounds through it.

I get a few dents from my charging handle as the brass is ejected. You will also dent the top cartridge if you load the magazine with the bolt closed.

I just checked 5 random cases from my last outing I too have minor scratches and light gouges at the cartridge base

The gouges have to be from the extractor, the scratches, not sure.

For completeness my mini is a regular old ranch rifle had 1k rounds before it went to Gundoc for TLC and about 1k since.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #4

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

The gouges may be from the mag feed lips, new ones have sharp edges, I sand mine down with emery cloth or touch with a file.

Dents can be cause from hitting the scope turret or receiver on ejection.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 12-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #5

Liked 83 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
sign of a couple possible things. overgassed (possibly), underweight buffer (very likely), light weight bolt carrier (not liekly), understrength recoil spring (possible).

whats happening is the bcg is cycling so fast the brass is thunking the rear of the ejectio port or brass deflector really hard. the scratches are a sign of that as well as the brass is being ripped from the chamber before pressure has dropped enough.

you can correct overgassing by heavier buffers and fullauto bolt carrier groups.
JonM, He's shooting a Mini-14 not an AR, no bolt carrier and no buffer.

Your problem is too much gas pressure, causing marring on the cartridge rim, denting the case midway on ejection and sending the cases into the next county. The problem is a common one with the Mini-14. The problem can be solved with using reduced sized gas port bushings or an adjustable gas block.

Jim.....................

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:51 PM   #6

Thanks guys for the responses. I am new to the Mini-14 and I already like the weapon. I plan on reloading, so I need to get the brass annoyances controlled. As mentioned, I need to put more ammo downrange, do some mag sanding, and bushings.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:15 AM   #7

Liked 180 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 128

The brass is still reloadable. Most of the time the dent will disappear when you resize the case. If it doesnt, oh well its still reloadable and when you shoot the dented round it will go away then for sure and probably create another dent.

Dont sweat the dents.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:28 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Mine does it to ammo also the top round currebtly in my home defense mag has a big scrape down the side.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #9

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

The scape could be caused by sharp edges on the mag lips, I sand mine a little for smooth feeding.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-08-2013, 05:05 AM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri70
The scape could be caused by sharp edges on the mag lips, I sand mine a little for smooth feeding.
I just bought some of the newer tapco mags ill see soon how that works out