Can I use a Lee Loader in a mini-14?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Can I use a Lee Loader in a mini-14?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Can I use a Lee Loader in a mini-14?

I want to shoot my Ruger Mini-14, model 180..."made in the year 1976, the 200th year of the USA"...I am retired and work part time for $7.25 an hour to make ends meet so money is tight.
I have used a Lee Loader for years to shoot my Springfield 30.06. It works. However, after I received a Lee Loader in 223 cal from Midway...the instructions say,,..." for auto loaders you need to full length swage the brass...this die does neck re sizing only". Also the instructions say to crimp the case mouth, only on bullets with a cannelure. I bought some bullets, cheap, from Midway and they DON"T have a cannelure....
QUESTIONS:1) Does any one have experience using a Lee Loader for a mini-14? Will it work?...with out the full length re sizing...2) Should I crimp the bullets I have...( no cannelure) any way? I don;t want the bullets to get loose going up the feed ramp of the mini-14. I have added reduced sized gas port...to reduce the slamming of the bolt via the recoil spring. I am aware that the original gas port slammed the bolt and some users have claimed the model 180 could have the roller shear off. I also have place recoil buffers on the recoil spring rod...ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED...IF I CAN'T USE THE LEE LOADER AND NON CANNELURED BULLETS WILL RETURN THEM TO MIDWAY...Thanks...barbuto@optonline.net

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #2

Liked 2617 Times on 1183 Posts
Likes Given: 2537

Best to full length size semi auto ammo. Otherwise you'll have chambering and feed issues.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #3

Liked 146 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 71

I have used several different types of BTHP Match bullets in Mini's and AR's and have had no problems with bullet set back, but prefer a cannelured bullet that I can put a slight crimp into when I can get them. All of the 55 gr. and 62 gr. FMJ's have a cannelure, and for expanding ( violently expanding varmint bullet) those that can be had with cannelures are the Hornady 55 gr. and 60 gr. V-MAX, and the Nosler 60 grain Ballistic Tip Varmint. As rjd said, you should full length resize for a semi auto. Years ago people would tell you that you needed a special small base sizing die, but this was not found to be necessary and seldom is even mentioned anymore. One thing I do for any semi auto ammo, whether it be a 1911 pistol, AR or Mini is buy a case gauge ( some competition shooters call them a cartridge checker). They are a cylinder of steel with a SAAMI spec chamber cut into them for the specific caliber. I drop all the rounds I load into them, and if they don't go in and fall back out easily, I put them aside to use for fouling rounds. If they are really tight in the case gauge, they probably had missed the resizing stage, and get the bullet pulled and the case resized ( happened once in 35 years of reloading) My gauges are a mix of L.E. Wilson and Lyman. For hunting or self defense, I would run factory loads through the gauge also, I have found some that were oversized or had other problems( primers put in upside down) etc.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:08 PM   #4

Liked 1912 Times on 1064 Posts
Likes Given: 1263

You can get set up pretty cheap to do real reloading. Lee makes a hand press that you don't even need a bench to use.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/665540/lee-breech-lock-hand-press

And a set of dies.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/554943/lee-rgb-2-die-set-223-remington

Once you buy the press you can buy additional dies for other calibers. I own both of the items I have listed here. They are what I started out with. The dies are $18.79. The press is $32.99. If you have already been reloading you probably already have something to measure powder. If not, the Lee dies come with a powder dipper in them.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Steel_Talon Likes This 
Old 12-08-2013, 11:41 PM   #5

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

using a Lee loader might work but you would have to use brass that you previously shot in that exact gun. some auto loading guns are very fussy about ammo. so no one can say with any certainty whether your mini will work with lee loader reloads or not. just try them. those bullets are pretty light and you might not need a hard crimp to hold them. again I would just try a box and see how it works for you.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:33 PM   #6

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

I use a Lee turret press for my mini 14 reloading with no problems. Some guys only neck size and have no problems. I use full length dies for my set up.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 12-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

I have never used a lee loader but I would think if the brass was fired in that exact same gun it would probably work. You would just have to try and see if your gun is picky or if it will gobble up anything.

If your bullets don't have a cannelure then don't crimp them. Just kinda squeeze the mouth enough to straighten out any bell and let it go. Trying to crimp it will either deform the case or the bullet or both.

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 12-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 536 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 165

I can appreciate limited budgets. I used a lee loader years ago for 38 special. I was cautioned to only use brass shot out of my gun for reloading because the Lee loader does not resize the entire case. All that being said, Lee has a single stage press that is less that $30 and a set of dies for $35 or so. You'll have to get a shell holder for a couple of dollars, but you'll be good to go. To save money you can still seat your primers with the Lee loader tool. Check out Titan Reloading and good luck.

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 12-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 989 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Search for a used Lee (or any) single Stage Press the Lees tends to be very cheap. Even a used turret press will do you wonders.

Amazon with Prime free ship. NEW $29.99 http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Reloading-Press-Md-90045/dp/B002SF4X5I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386879313&sr=8-1&keywords=lee+single+stage+press

Become steel or get cut.