Buying a Mini Tac
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Buying a Mini Tac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 03:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Buying a Mini Tac

I'm going to be buying a mini 14 Tactical and I was wondering of there are some things I should look out for? Or better yet to look for before I buy it so I don't get a lemon. I went and looked at it the other day and its a 581 series.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-31-2012, 03:52 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If going new, make sure you get the tapered barrel. Stainless is a bonus. Do not pay full retail.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:57 AM   #3

I have a good buddy that works at my local sporting goods store. He said he would sell me the aforementioned rifle at 675.00. Stainless is cool but 'm not sold on it. It is tapered all though i noticed the taper is only past the gas block? not tapered from the receiver to the point past the gas block?

Last edited by Kenter90; 01-31-2012 at 04:02 AM.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:34 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

That's a little high for a blued gun in my area. A clean near NIB or gunshow NIB blued gun is closer to $600, though that might take some negotiating at a gun show. I paid $550 for mine in very good condition, little prior use, but no box, papers, etc. The stainless is a matte finish that seems more like raw steel. No shiny to it. Easy to clean.

You are correct on the barrel taper. That is the stiffest available from Ruger, aside from the target model.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #5

Well I bought it the price may have been high but the owner of the shop wanted to charge me with retail of the gun not the 675. So I think its a good buy. I was cleaning it last night and I noticed it cycles with very little resistance. So I was thinking of my CETME and how when I first got it it was a stiff ole some beach. So I took a peice of emery cloth to my CETME bolt and got rid of a good portion of the paint that the factory applied to it. I was thinking of doing the same with my mini. I was going to sand the paint off in the ares outlined in yellow. Pretty much wherever the bolt slides-

Last edited by Kenter90; 02-02-2012 at 04:55 AM.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:38 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1232 Times on 794 Posts
Likes Given: 2485

I would just run a few rounds through it and let it wear all by itself. My buddy just got a mini tactical and loves it. It's a great rifle and I'm guessing you'll be just as pleased. I wouldn't worry about the price either. It's Murphy law that no matter what you buy you'll see it somewhere else for a little less, but only after you buy it.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:54 AM   #7

Damn Murphy and his law! lol Ya I just figure I could run a few rounds threw it and get everything loosened up that way or just polish those areas a little bit and save the ammo. Are there any see through thirty mm rings for these?

Old 02-03-2012, 12:03 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

There are see through mounts for the mini but everything I've read said they were not very good. They still sit too high and obscure your view with the peep sight? The side mount B-square will let you use your peep sights but I'm not a fan of that either. I just installed one for another buddy and I was not impressed with it. I've been trying to find a good mount that will let me use the iron sights or a quick detach with return (that will also let me remove the bolt) but I haven't had any luck.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:42 AM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1982 Times on 1073 Posts
Likes Given: 592

If you are willing to go to a scout configuration, Amega makes a scout rail. Weigand makes a picatiny base that goes over the action and attaches to the Ruger mounts. It can be removed and retain zero if you follow their directions. The rail allows the use of Weaver style rings. NC Star and UTG also make bases that go over the action but they do not compare to the Weigand. Joe Bob has the best price I have found on the Amega.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 02-04-2012, 02:01 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
If you are willing to go to a scout configuration, Amega makes a scout rail. Weigand makes a picatiny base that goes over the action and attaches to the Ruger mounts. It can be removed and retain zero if you follow their directions. The rail allows the use of Weaver style rings. NC Star and UTG also make bases that go over the action but they do not compare to the Weigand. Joe Bob has the best price I have found on the Amega.
Thanks, that Weigand looks pretty good. I'll be trying it out soon.