You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum >

Burris AR-536 on Mini 14 forward rail, not over action?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2014, 04:55 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 107 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Default Burris AR-536 on Mini 14 forward rail, not over action?

I'm just $215 from bringing home my Mini 14 and Mini 30. Not long now!

I am seriously considering a Burris AR-536 for the Mini 14. I want to mount it on an Amega or Ultimak rail just forward of the receiver. Has anyone done this with this particular scope or type of scope. Will eye relief be a problem? I don't want to mount a scope over the receiver.

I have looked at and through the Burris AR-536 on a dummy stock at Academy and I really like it. Anyone have this scope in any configuration? How do you like it?

(I already have an Aimpoint Comp M3 for the Mini 30.)

Hawkguy, I bet you have some insight on this one. What do you think? And anyone else, too.

Last edited by LocoTonyF; 10-04-2014 at 04:58 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-04-2014, 05:12 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3876 Times on 2132 Posts
Likes Given: 1146

I dont believe it has enough eye relief (2"-2.5") and is heavy. It was designed for the AR. It takes about 7" minimum to 9". I am using a Burris Scout EER extended eye relief scope.
http://swfa.com/Burris-275x20-Scout-Scope-P2020.aspx

Last edited by JTJ; 10-04-2014 at 05:57 PM.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:01 PM   #3

Liked 1131 Times on 748 Posts

Red dot or scout scope would be my suggestion. My Aimpoint works well on mine. It just depends how and where you will use it.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Old 10-04-2014, 08:41 PM   #4

Liked 93 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 16

No way it would work as mounted with a 2.5" eye relief.

I'd agree that in the position you want to mount a red-dot is probably your best bet.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:13 PM   #5

Liked 3440 Times on 2049 Posts
Likes Given: 2626

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoTonyF View Post
Hawkguy, I bet you have some insight on this one. What do you think? And anyone else, too.
sorry, loco....i don't have much to offer here in the way of advice.

my experience with red dots is limited. from high quality to el-cheapo...they don't play well with my eyes.... open reflex sights like the burris fast fire seem to work better for me....so i might use something like that if i pursue another mini.

i have no experience with scout scope set ups. i find the concept intriguing, but i have yet to get any experience with them. i probably have more questions than you do, as i have been casually looking at bolt action scout scope set ups recently.

i agree with the others that it seems the scope you listed doesn't have the eye relief to be used as a scout scope.

i have never minded a scope/optic over the action of the mini. never been a prob. for me at all, but everyone has their preference. i heard the new minis comes with rings AND a rail mount? guess you can report back on that...

Old 10-04-2014, 09:38 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 107 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 130

I've heard that too. Maybe I'll try the Burris over the action of the Mini 14. It seems like it would cramp matters there to me. But you say it's never been a problem for you, huh?

I'll post about the included mounts and if rails too, when I bring them home.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:40 PM   #7
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The scout system is very fast. It allows you to keep both eyes open and still use magnification. I found that a 2X-3X fixed power EER scope is easiest to use. The scope mounts very low so it does not require stock padding for a good cheek weld. It is a battle rifle concept not a target set up. It would be very good in a fast shooting situation like hogs. The low magnification and both eyes open allows for very fast target acquisition but still gives good accuracy from a rest. It is not meant to be a long range sniper but should be able to handle anything out to 300 yards. Mine is on quick release rings. If I were hunting close cover, I would go with a red dot. I did have a Strikefire on it and it worked well but the 4 MOA dot is on the large side. If you sight in 3" high at 100 yards your rounds should hit inside the dot out to 300 yards. I would prefer a 2 MOA dot though. An Aimpoint PRO would be ideal.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:00 PM   #8

Liked 1131 Times on 748 Posts

I think it might be a good idea to get some quick release rings if you are going to mount over the action. It seems like it would make cleaning easier, and let you use irons also if you want. Like I said before it just depends how and where you will use it. You could also use a flexible cleaning system like the Otis to ease your efforts if you mount a scope over the action.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk
hawkguy Likes This 
Old 10-04-2014, 11:39 PM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The main problem with mounting over the action is cheek weld. The higher sight line needs a higher stock. In order to switch you would need an easy to install removable cheek pad. The Ruger factory rings will return to zero but for the 536 you would need a rail adapter. You have to lock up one side of the rail adapter to make it remove and return to zero. The Weigand rail is probably the best one out there but it may have to be modified to clear the rear sight. Bsquare also makes one but it is even more money. Dont waste your money on the cheap ones. The Weigand is about $50.
If I were going over the action I would go with the scope I have on my AR or a similar one. It is a Bushnell Trophy XLT 1-4X24 with a 1 MOA illuminated dot centered on a 4A reticle. There are quite a few similar ones out there. An interesting one is the Primary Arms 1-6x24. Ruger will swap your unused 1" rings for 30 mm rings.
https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_1_6X_Scope_with_Patented_ACSS_Reticle _p/paps1-6x.htm
http://swfa.com/Bushnell-1-4x24-Trophy-XLT-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P48386.aspx
http://swfa.com/Bushnell-1-4x24-AR-Optics-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P61352.aspx

Last edited by JTJ; 10-04-2014 at 11:55 PM.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:57 PM   #10

Liked 3440 Times on 2049 Posts
Likes Given: 2626

i incorporate warne QD rings, as Cardiac suggested previously. if you're your going to mount over the action of a mini, it is likely the best way to go. the warne are a bit pricey, but rugged and hold zero time after time you remove them. you can get them specifically for mini scope scallops, which might simplify matters. they come in 1" and 30MM for scopes or dots with traditional type optics.

i'm sure the scout scope rail/set up is a very good way to go as well....it is very popular, and seems to be successful with all who use it. i just personally have no experience with it.

upon a bit of research, some posters are saying you can remove the bolt with the new included rail!!!! if so, this presents mini 14 owners with a another nice option for attaching optics over the action. hope!

GG&G also makes some good mounts. i'll see what i can find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoTonyF View Post
I've heard that too. Maybe I'll try the Burris over the action of the Mini 14. It seems like it would cramp matters there to me. But you say it's never been a problem for you, huh?

I'll post about the included mounts and if rails too, when I bring them home.

Last edited by hawkguy; 10-05-2014 at 12:02 AM.