You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum >

Brushed or Bead blast ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2017, 03:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Brushed or Bead blast ?

Ok, I have a older SS mini, I recently acquired a high polished SS flash suppressor for it. My problem is I don't like the polished look and want to match as close as possible the brushed or bead blasted matte type finish on the mini. Anyone done similar ? Is it something I can just do myself with sandblaster or just let gunsmith do it ?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-12-2017, 08:15 PM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

use a vibratory type power sander like black & decker mouse, and use green scotch brite

Radman Likes This 
Old 03-12-2017, 08:40 PM   #3

Liked 5001 Times on 2880 Posts
Likes Given: 8262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radman View Post
Ok, I have a older SS mini, I recently acquired a high polished SS flash suppressor for it. My problem is I don't like the polished look and want to match as close as possible the brushed or bead blasted matte type finish on the mini. Anyone done similar ? Is it something I can just do myself with sandblaster or just let gunsmith do it ?
yes and no! you could bead-blast it with fine glass bead, which would leave it in a satin or matte silver finish.

don't use sand. it's way to coarse, and will pit the metal too much. also use a very low air pressure setting. it doesn't take that much to get the results you are looking for.

know the difference between highly polished blued and matte black metal parts on guns?

same blueing solution, and procedures are used. the difference is the polishing, or the glass bead blasting that creates the final finish.
"the hate which we all bear with the most Christian patience, is the hate of those who envy us."
Viking Likes This 
Old 03-12-2017, 10:10 PM   #4

Liked 460 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 2155

Back when we lived in Colorado I built a .50 cal. Thompson Hawken Rifle and I had the barrel glass bead blasted and I browned it. The bead blasting is a great finish as in knocks down any glare. On the other hand, I have used what Ruger recommends for stainless steal, real fine sandpaper, I use that on areas of my Redhawk that get shinny from holstering.