Brown Bear Ammo?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Brown Bear Ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 15

Default Brown Bear Ammo?

I recently purchased a few rounds of Brown Bear .223 and was curious if anyone had any luck or problems with this ammo?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #2

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

A few as in how many? I have not personally used BB. But I also have not heard anything bad. Just your average cheap ammo.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #3

Liked 2395 Times on 1401 Posts
Likes Given: 538

You already bought it, so go ahead and tell us how it works for you.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:03 PM   #4

I was just asking how many you bought bc most people buy in bulk when buying stuff like BB.
Just in case you don't know. Before you buy in bulk if buying for a SA, buy 2 or 3 boxes first. Just to see how it runs in your gun. I would hate to see you wast money on 1,000 rounds of ammo that won't run on your gun.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

It runs fine in my SKS. I have heard that the laquer coating can accumulate in super-hot chambers; i haven't noticed a build-up yet, but i don't just dump twenty rounds for fun very often.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
It runs fine in my SKS. I have heard that the laquer coating can accumulate in super-hot chambers; i haven't noticed a build-up yet, but i don't just dump twenty rounds for fun very often.
I've never used bb but I have used lacquer coated stuff before in my AR. Never had any kind of build up. The only problem I had with lacquer was a problem from the factory. A unfired round was stuck in my chamber. A good smack of the fwd assts. knocked it lose. After measuring the casing I found that there was so much lacquer on it that it made the casing to big for my chamber.

Only happened once tho.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 796

If you are concerned about lacquer build up in your chamber silver bear is zinc plated. Silver bear is the same ammo as brown bear in a zinc plated case.

I shoot brown bear ammo in Mosin Nagant 91/30. The 203 gr SP is much more accurate than milsurp ammo and the thump of it's expanding bullet will put game down with a single shot. The downside is brown bear shoots considerably higher than milsurp ammo. Be prepared to grind and sand the ramp of the rear sight. Some people alter the front sight with a screw in sight. This is a tedious process that requires a drill press and a proper tap. If you search the internet you can find front sights that have been drilled and tapped for a reasonable price.

I use wolf ammo to break in new guns. After 100 rounds you can see that the metallic case is indeed polishing any surface, such as the feed ramp that it comes in contact with. Wolf ammo was instrumental in getting a Kel Tec P11 running right that I picked up at a bargain price. The P11 would not empty a magazine without malfunctioning when I got it. After a two hundred rounds of wolf ammo and some judicious polishing the P11 will shoot all day without a malfunction. It shoots the often maligned WWB ammo without a hitch.

Another thing you need to consider is your warranty. I know the use of steel case ammo will void the warranty of some weapons. The Ruger P95 owners manual clearly states that steel case ammo will void the warranty. It's up to you to determine if this is true for your firearms.

Last edited by John_Deer; 12-04-2012 at 09:49 AM.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #8

Likes Given: 15

By few rounds I meant 500. Was too good of a deal to pass up. Next up is to see if i can get my Mini-14 set up for small groupings and be ready to drop hogs.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #9

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

In a Mini 14 you shouldn't have any issues at all. I shoot it in my ar with no problems and the 14's are more forgiving from what I have heard

Old 12-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #10

Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 62

I've had my Mini now since 9/11 (great day to pick up an awesome American-made classic, yes?) and I've run about 500 rounds of Brown Bear through it with no issues whatsoever. In fact, my Mini will chew up and spit out any ammo you put in it. PMC, Winchester, Tula, Brown Bear, Federal, Freedom Munitions, 556, 223, whatever. That's the beauty of the Mini.

Shoot it and enjoy it. If it gets a little dirtier, then clean it. The savings is well worth the extra time spent cleaning.

Three old hunters were walking through the woods one day. The first looks over at the others and says, "Windy isn't it?" The second says, "I was sure it was Thursday." The third says, "Me too! The heck with hunting, let's go get a beer!"