You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum >

Bore solvent

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2016, 10:54 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Bore solvent

I have been using Butch's Bore Shine, but after getting a bottle of Montana X-Treme, it's all I'll ever use. The Montana X-Treme has a very potent ammonia smell, so don't expect roses when it's opened. I took this stuff over to a buddy's house, that has been bench rest shooting for many years. All he ever used was the Butch's Bore Shine, but after one patch with the Montana X-Treme he was sold. This stuff removes powder fouling, and copper fouling like nothing I've ever seen. We even tried some Sweet's 7.62, and it didn't hold a candle to the Montana X-Treme. If you do try the Montana X-Treme, be sure to use a good nylon brush instead of a brass brush.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2161714637/montana-x-treme-bore-cleaning-solvent-liquid

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-22-2016, 11:02 AM   #2

Liked 8039 Times on 4404 Posts
Likes Given: 13731

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod98ban View Post
I have been using Butch's Bore Shine, but after getting a bottle of Montana X-Treme, it's all I'll ever use. The Montana X-Treme has a very potent ammonia smell, so don't expect roses when it's opened. I took this stuff over to a buddy's house, that has been bench rest shooting for many years. All he ever used was the Butch's Bore Shine, but after one patch with the Montana X-Treme he was sold. This stuff removes powder fouling, and copper fouling like nothing I've ever seen. We even tried some Sweet's 7.62, and it didn't hold a candle to the Montana X-Treme. If you do try the Montana X-Treme, be sure to use a good nylon brush instead of a brass brush.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2161714637/montana-x-treme-bore-cleaning-solvent-liquid
any bore solvent that contains ammonia is usually very good at removing copper fouling, but you never want to leave it in the bore too long. most recommend no longer than 15 minutes at the longest.

I have been using Kroil for many years now, and it works even better than the bore solvents containing ammonia, and it won't hurt the bore of the rifle if it's left in it. lots of benchrest shooters have been using it for years.

COSteve Likes This 
Old 03-22-2016, 11:27 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My buddy that is the bench rest shooter also uses Kroil, and it would not clean near as well as the Montana X-Treme did. He was rather surprised, and is switching over to the Montana X-Treme. Any worries about this product are addressed here, and it looks like they did very thorough testing with their product.
http://www.montanaxtreme.com/faqs/

Old 03-24-2016, 01:21 AM   #4

Liked 3615 Times on 2135 Posts
Likes Given: 2792

i like this as a bore cleaner. makes it a breeze. no ammonia. but be careful on nice wood stocks.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/784639/sharp-shoot-r-wipe-out-brushless-foaming-bore-cleaning-solvent-5-oz-aerosol
Misfire51 Likes This 
Old 03-26-2016, 03:11 PM   #5

Liked 39 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I also use the Wipe out and find it to be very good. As I dont scrub the boar at every cleaning it should awhile before I try the Montana X product. Thanks for the heads up..
Old 03-26-2016, 03:41 PM   #6

Liked 4690 Times on 2689 Posts
Likes Given: 1215

I've used Shooters Choice for years and found it to be pretty good, better than Sweets 7.62. It smells like ammonia too. Whatever gets the fouling out.