Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Mini-14 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/)
-   -   Bolt does not lock back. Is there something wrong?? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/bolt-does-not-lock-back-there-something-wrong-101306/)

kott 12-08-2013 03:09 AM

Bolt does not lock back. Is there something wrong??

Hey guys, earlier tonight I was doing drills, because, thats what I do when I got too much time. :)

I normally use expanded shell casings in the magazine when I do dills, aside from assembly/disassembly, so that the gun cycles normally as it would with a live round (besides bad feeds that happen). But today while I was running clear malfunction and transition drills I did it with out a casing in the mag and the rifle still cycled as if there were rounds in the magazine.

I took it out back to a berm and cycled it about 40 times with live rounds and got about 5 failure to feed malfunctions, a couple failure to extract, and a couple double feeds :eek:. Before now, I fired about a total of 130 rounds through the rifle and didnt have a single problem.

What can be the issue? Im kind of at a loss because I took the weapon apart and assembled it same as I did before for cleaning but something just seems wrong when it cycles. Hopefully its my error any ideas? :confused:

Cheever 12-08-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kott (Post 1452345)
I took it out back to a berm and cycled it about 40 times with live rounds and got about 5 failure to feed malfunctions, a couple failure to extract, and a couple double feeds :eek:. Before now, I fired about a total of 130 rounds through the rifle and didnt have a single problem.

Typically a failure to lock open on an empty mag is a mag issue and not a rifle issue (typically it is a damaged follower). The above is a concern, but if this was hand cycled issues you were encountering I would have to say first that you may need to go shoot it to diagnose it. It may be a mag issue (possibly damaged follower and damaged feed lips). Try another mag would be my suggestion.

TheSadPanda 12-08-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheever
Typically a failure to lock open on an empty mag is a mag issue and not a rifle issue (typically it is a damaged follower). The above is a concern, but if this was hand cycled issues you were encountering I would have to say first that you may need to go shoot it to diagnose it. It may be a mag issue (possibly damaged follower and damaged feed lips). Try another mag would be my suggestion.

This ^^. Almost guaranteed to be a mag issue.

sandog 12-08-2013 03:01 PM

Bolt not locking open with an empty magazine sounds like a damaged tab on the back of the follower or mag spring getting weak, so it's not raising the follower up all the way. Failure to feed, double feeds could be your mag feed lips got tweaked. Does it do all of these things with a different magazine ? Failure to extract doesn't sound like a magazine problem, maybe weak extractor spring or chipped extractor. You aren't shooting crap steel case ammo out of your Mini, are you ?

Rick1967 12-08-2013 03:10 PM

When is the last time you disassembled and cleaned that mag? A little dirt or grit can keep the follower from coming all the way up. Whenever I have a malfunction of any kind the first thing I do is clean.

kott 12-08-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick1967 (Post 1452612)
When is the last time you disassembled and cleaned that mag? A little dirt or grit can keep the follower from coming all the way up. Whenever I have a malfunction of any kind the first thing I do is clean.

Actually never... :rolleyes: Maybe this should be the first thing I try.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheever (Post 1452462)

Yeah, I thought it was most likely the magazine, but the failure to extract is what kinda threw me for a loop. And, yes - it was hand cycled.

And, no, I only shot brass cased ammo. I am not so sure about the previous owner, however. I checked the bolt face and all moving parts against close-up pictures and it all looks like it has nothing obviously wrong.

Sounds like a good magazine cleaning session is in order :)

kott 12-08-2013 09:10 PM

Well, looks like you guys were right. Cleaning the magazines made the rifle cycle flawlessly. However, it seems like one magazine work every time and has absolutely no issues, however the other one still fails to lock back the bolt on empty. Kind of a sad day. I guess I didnt notice the issue in the past because I just magically happened to grab the good one both trips to the range.