Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > bipod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 10:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default bipod

looking for a bipod for my mini , don't really want to do a rail just looking for a way to put a decent bipod on my gun , have looked for threads on the subject and only find either rails or clamping on a barrel strut , looking for ideas , here is the gun I am working with

100_0397.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-08-2014, 10:31 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 762 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 786

If your not looking for competition ,big bucks, style,
I can recommrnd this one. Ive got a few of these ,and for range shooting,or even varmint hunting, they take abuse and are sturdy, easy to attach on swivel stud, and easy to adjust.

http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Tactical-OP-Bipod-Adjustable/dp/B0035L35A8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1389223533&sr=8-2&keywords=utg+bipod

Jim

Old 01-08-2014, 10:31 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1345 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 453

You have two choices with your rifle, either find a bipod that screws on a sling stud or a bipod that clamps on the barrel. The bipods that clamp on the barrel are not that great - You can only get off a few shots before you have to re-position the bipod.

You might want to consider a shooting stick.

http://www.shootingvoodoo.com/index.php/articles/field_expedient_shooting_techniques/

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 01-08-2014 at 10:33 PM.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:54 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1320 Times on 917 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Harris bipods have adapters that clamp onto sling studs.

The Mini-14 is too short and light to seriously benefit from a bipod. I bet you will be just as accurate in any self-supporting position, especially with a sling. On a hard surface the bipod will shift around constantly. You will be quicker on target with a steady two-hand grip. Standing or kneeling, you will find the bipod a nuisance. From the bench, a sandbag is better. Just something to consider, unless you have made up your mind.

People Like This 
Old 01-08-2014, 11:26 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 862 Times on 577 Posts
Likes Given: 1135

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stmini View Post
looking for a bipod for my mini , don't really want to do a rail just looking for a way to put a decent bipod on my gun , have looked for threads on the subject and only find either rails or clamping on a barrel strut , looking for ideas , here is the gun I am working with
You can adapt, by removing your front sling ring and attach a bipod there. You could also mod in a sling stud to your minis fore end to support a bi-pod/

Other than "cosmetics" a mini 14 really isn't a bi-pod rifle. (IMHO)

Become steel or get cut.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:05 PM   #6

Liked 180 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 128

My mini-14 has a Tapco stock with a bottom rail and I use a grippod. I also use it with my AR and 10/22 with a tapco stock.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:55 PM   #7

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I'd use this

http://www.harrisbipods.com/HB14.html

and this

http://www.harrisbipods.com/HBRMS.html

I find, the Harris bipods out performs most all other bipods for preload characteristics and quick deployment.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:10 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
I'd use this

http://www.harrisbipods.com/HB14.html

and this

http://www.harrisbipods.com/HBRMS.html

I find, the Harris bipods out performs most all other bipods for preload characteristics and quick deployment.
have looked at those mounts and some people seem to not like them , I asume you like yours and it works well ? am looking for one mostly just for cosmetics but have one on my AR and like it , just worried that with such a small rifle it will get in the way or look to big for the gun [ like my scope choise LOL ] any pics would be great , thanks for all the help

Old 01-09-2014, 08:12 PM   #9

Liked 99 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 122

I think there was a thread here about installing a sling swivel in a mini stock, I would do that way before the Harris bipod adaptor. I had one installed when Gundoc did the rest of one of my minis, but I use mine for a sling since the Arms Room light mounts get in the was of stock sling mounting. Having had a bipod on a non target mini add me to the people that think you will lose interest fast.

If I write a post and it sounds like I'm trying to tell you what's best for you, it's because I write like crap.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:24 PM   #10

Liked 314 Times on 182 Posts

I have a Harris bi pod for my mini 14. It clamps to the gas block sling swivel. It made the gun too front heavy and like other posters said, it just jumped around a lot when I shot with it. No need for one on a mini 14. Mine came with one when I bought it and I would've never purchased it seperately. But, if you must have one, the Harris ones are high quality and they mount up easily.