Any way to keep the Mini from slinging brass 100ft - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum >

Any way to keep the Mini from slinging brass 100ft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Simple enough...

When your bench rest shooting your mini just place a light cloth over/drape the action... You may want to come up with a "tie down" method ie Velcro.. The cloth will deflect the brass down to the table, and it will not effect accuracy. For all other shooting positions just occupy the lane on the farthest right...

Become steel or get cut.

Last edited by Steel_Talon; 11-01-2013 at 07:00 PM.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:23 AM   #32
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2649 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 14619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyclaw View Post
I have no idea what the torque specs are or I would put them in. I did 'pretty firm' hand-tight. The key is to do them all several times because when you do one, the other ones loosen.

If anyone has the torque specs, please feel free to post them!
30 to 35 inch pounds. Had to look that one up myself, never had the block off of mine. I just make sure I am to the far right when at the range. If someone is inatentive enough to walk to my right, they deserve to get brass slapped.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:41 AM   #33

Liked 102 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39 View Post
Keep in mind I have an older mini with the fixed rear iron sites. I havent had much luck trying to modify in other areas. I feel bad at the range showering the guy next to me with hot brass.
Problem solved
sidways.jpg  
People Like This 
Old 11-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #34
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3387 Times on 2291 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter
as mentioned get to the far right if you can, if bench rest shooting, set a backpack up on the right side, a hard gun case with the lid open works for me w/ my AR.

We are all big boys/girls here. No one goes to the range expecting not to get hit with a .223 case or twelve
Heck I get hit with casings every time out to the range. Ours has the "lanes" which box you in. My brass hits off the barrier and comes flying, and so does everyone else's. Wearing a hat, glasses, and tell my wife not to let her cleavage stick out(wear a high necked shirt hon. Thanks)....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 11-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #35

Liked 204 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post

Heck I get hit with casings every time out to the range. Ours has the "lanes" which box you in. My brass hits off the barrier and comes flying, and so does everyone else's. Wearing a hat, glasses, and tell my wife not to let her cleavage stick out(wear a high necked shirt hon. Thanks)....
The cleavage idea is wonderful. Cant motorboat if shes got brass burns.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2452 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball
Suckiest range in-service lately involved brass somehow landing in my shirt on bare skin on my chest and getting stuck there by my vest. It was just sizzling there until the course of fire was over and I could holster up and dig it out. That same day one landed in between my ear and my head. And my buddy cycled the crap out of a shotgun next to me at the wrong time and hit me in the same ear with a loaded buckshot shell. It felt like getting punched.

Now I always go for the #1 spot. So everybody catches my brass but I don't have to worry about theirs.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #37
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3387 Times on 2291 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF
Suckiest range in-service lately involved brass somehow landing in my shirt on bare skin on my chest and getting stuck there by my vest. It was just sizzling there until the course of fire was over and I could holster up and dig it out. That same day one landed in between my ear and my head. And my buddy cycled the crap out of a shotgun next to me at the wrong time and hit me in the same ear with a loaded buckshot shell. It felt like getting punched. Now I always go for the #1 spot. So everybody catches my brass but I don't have to worry about theirs.
The Only time it's really a "Major PITA" is when It hits my Glasses or facial area during a practice run(series of shooting at specific targets). Since I put the "Accuracy Systems" gas block on my Mini, It happens much less with THAT gun,..But I still get a lot of flying 22LR brass with our rimfire plinkers...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 11-19-2013, 09:47 PM   #38
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2884 Times on 1582 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Mine only throws brass about 25 feet.