any spring failures due to keeping it loaded?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > any spring failures due to keeping it loaded?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 11:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default any spring failures due to keeping it loaded?

I have 2 of the newer Mini-14 rifles... and have to say that I am totally stoked about them.
Any way, I have one of them setup for hunting and what-not with a scope, and the other one left with the iron sights. I keep the iron sighted one loaded with 20 rounds of hollow points for home defense, and an extra magazine near by.
I was wondering if anyone has seen any magazine or other spring failures due to the rifle staying loaded all the time. I figure the cops that use them always keep them loaded, and I keep my auto pistol loaded.
I used to rotate the magazines out on all of my guns, and let them rest, but stopped doing that. I also would unload my hunting guns and release the tension on the firing pin.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-10-2010, 12:03 PM   #2

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Springs wear from repeated compression & decompression cycles - not from just being compressed. I've left mags loaded for years and they function just fine...

Old 03-10-2010, 12:26 PM   #3

Cool...thats kind of what I thought