Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Accustrut

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2014, 09:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Default Accustrut

Hello everyone, I just recently purchased a standard ruger mini 14. It has a serial number beginning with 186 and after talking with a ruger representative, determined that the rifle was made in 1993. I hear great things about these Accustruts and would like to put one on my mini. My question is, can an accustrut fit into this mini 14 that I have? Also, what model?

I was on the accustrut website and I see exceptions as to what rifles can properly use the accustrut, but it can be a bit confusing. My final questions is, what side mounts would you recommend if I wanted to put a scope or red dot sight onto the rifle? Remember, my rifle is not a ranch version and so the only two possible ways to mount any sight would be to have the receiver professionally drilled and tapped (too expensive) OR to use the side mount. Thank you in advance!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-04-2014, 01:03 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1073 Times on 694 Posts
Likes Given: 1992

Sorry but I'm not familiar with the specifics of that model but I do recommend you check out the mini section of this forum. Lots of great information there.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:40 AM   #3

Liked 349 Times on 200 Posts

Go to www.accu-strut.com. they make one that fits the old ones and the newer 580+ series. If they are out of stock go to amazon.com and look. They always had a ton whenever the gun sites were out of stock. You can find them multiple places. It will say in the product description whether it fits pre or post 580 series. Yours is a pre 580 series with the pencil barrel. The newer ones have a tapered heavier barrel. For yours. I'd go with the two clamp 6" accu strut. The two clamp version has been very effective at shrinking groups on older minis.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:43 AM   #4

Liked 349 Times on 200 Posts

If you want to mount optics get an ultimak rail and mount optics in the scout position. If you want to go over the reviever, but want a rail, there are companies that make picattiny rails that mount to the factory dove tails. As far as the accu strut, you want the one that fits the thin profile barrel. I actually think the newer accu struts are adjustable to fit both styles.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:35 AM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1714 Times on 935 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Evening the space on both sides of the gas block and torquing the screws helps. The Accustrut helps but the Amega or Ultimak forward rails help more. The newer models dont need the accustrut. I had an older Mini 30 that I tuned up. 1st I did the gas block and it helped. Then I did the Accustrut and it helped a some more. the Amega rail helped the most. My new model Mini 14 was 2 MOA out of the box from a rest with the stock peep sight and good ammo. Surprised me. With an Ultimak installed and a 2x pistol scope it was running 2-3 MOA with surplus ammo and a little under 2 MOA with some commercial PMC and 55 grain soft points. that was with 5 shot groups. The surplus always seemed to get a flyer or 2. I just put a Strikefire on the rail and have not had a chance to take it out since I am babysitting my wife after surgery. I really like the way the Strikefire set up.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Newest Threads