Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Mini-14 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/)
-   -   Accurizing the mini14 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/accurizing-mini14-20418/)

slowryde45 11-25-2009 12:33 AM

Accurizing the mini14

xxxxxxxxxx

dunerunner 11-25-2009 02:38 AM

No, but I'd like to dump $800 into this: Custom Ruger Mini 14 30 Rifles Accuracy Systems Gunsmith

masterPsmith 11-25-2009 01:40 PM

The Accu-Strut works very well and there are a few other off-shoots of the Accu-Strut as well that also work. It helps to practically eliminate barrel whip and harmonic problems for tighter groups. I machine my own clamps and struts in my shop.

Jim...........

Dr. Marneaus 12-01-2009 09:50 PM

do not buy an accustrut unless you are an anti-do-it-you-selfer. You can make a comparable strut for about 25 bucks.

Go here, and read your little heart out! Do some research on the homemade struts, some people over on perfectunion.com sell them for 20 or 30 bucks.

Mini-14 - Accurizing - PerfectUnion BBS

Homemade Strut, Great Results - PerfectUnion BBS

New guy with an old Mini and homebuilt strut. - PerfectUnion BBS

KMO 04-03-2010 05:21 AM

3-Point Anchoring Best for Stabilizers

I would never discourage a do-it-yourselfer from doing great things, but nearly all of the homemade barrel stabilizers I have seen have only a 2-point anchor, the two points being the clamps attaching it to the barrel. Finding a way to achieve 3-point anchoring (2 barrel clamps + 1 gas block connection) will give superior results over just the 2 barrel clamp connections. My own barrel stabilizer project initially began with a 2-point system, but ultimately morphed into a much better 3-point design. It's not all that easy unless one is equipped with at least an end mill. My partner & I are now cranking out a variety of our stabilizers to fit the variety of Mini-14's & Mini-30's on the market. Long live the do-it-yourselfer, but sometimes it's nice to capitalize on someone else's prior efforts by avoiding all the trial & error.

Lik2race 10-02-2011 01:16 AM

Barrel Stabilizers-Wish I was as smart

Quote:

Originally Posted by masterPsmith (Post 190529)
The Accu-Strut works very well and there are a few other off-shoots of the Accu-Strut as well that also work. It helps to practically eliminate barrel whip and harmonic problems for tighter groups. I machine my own clamps and struts in my shop.

Jim...........

I do wish I had the knowledge & equipment to do as you have done,
I understand these stabilizers work very well,
but $80-$95 is way too much for me.
Do you make these for "others" ?
I would be interested I think.
Thanks

I stand corrected; I got an amazing deal on a set of Mo-Rods & the Grim Reaper..Just could NOT pass it up..http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...Rifle_Logo.jpg

Snakedriver 10-02-2011 01:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by KMO (Post 263116)
I would never discourage a do-it-yourselfer from doing great things, but nearly all of the homemade barrel stabilizers I have seen have only a 2-point anchor, the two points being the clamps attaching it to the barrel. Finding a way to achieve 3-point anchoring (2 barrel clamps + 1 gas block connection) will give superior results over just the 2 barrel clamp connections. My own barrel stabilizer project initially began with a 2-point system, but ultimately morphed into a much better 3-point design. It's not all that easy unless one is equipped with at least an end mill. My partner & I are now cranking out a variety of our stabilizers to fit the variety of Mini-14's & Mini-30's on the market. Long live the do-it-yourselfer, but sometimes it's nice to capitalize on someone else's prior efforts by avoiding all the trial & error.

Mo-Rod works for me! The best accurizing thing I ever did to my Mini-14.

hawkguy 10-02-2011 02:10 AM

hmmmm

1 Attachment(s)
i can't read the original post, but it seems the thread has shifted towards struts, so i'll add my two cents.

DIY struts are a great idea. i have no doubt that they work as well as any of the ones produced by the various companies.

but one thing you might consider is LOOKS. i have seen very few DIY struts that looked good. in fact, many of the ones i have seen, however effective, look downright ugly and i personally wouldn't put them on a $600-800 gun, just to save maybe 40-50 bucks. and when it comes to $, i'm pretty much a tightwad.

the stainlees on the accu-strut is a CRAZY perfect match. it looks like it came from the factory. nice to have something that works & looks good. the mo-rod looks clean and sheek and awesome when in combo with mo-reaper. these companies do great work!

also, consider time and investment in reasearch. kevin at accu-strut spent a lot of time & money testing his struts. he is still running tests on his newer line to give great service to his customers.

i think my accu-strut actually makes my mini look BETTER, and it has tightened groups and reduced barrel heat. i think it was a great investment.

Lik2race 10-02-2011 07:34 AM

LOL..Just purchased Mo-Rod & Mo-Reaper.
I believe this will do just fine
:cool:

Jeff_F 10-02-2011 11:59 AM

I think a trigger job and a strut are the two mods that will bring about the most accuracy with the Mini 14.