Accurized 183 Woody
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Accurized 183 Woody

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2009, 11:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 90 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default Accurized 183 Woody

Got another one done this week and it's ready to go back to it's rightfull owner.

Took it out yesterday for test firing, and sighting. Fired about forty rounds to settle it in and sight it for 50 yards. Once sighted in, I fired three rounds for group @ 50 yards using the bench and no artificial rear support. Ammo used was Winchester white box 5.56, 55gr supplied by the owner. I measured the groups two outer most edges at .341" and subtracted .224" bullet diameter for a group size of .117" for the 3-round group. During testing, I had no vertical stringing or fliers of any kind. All brass were landing approx. 3' to my right and rear. There were no FTF or FTE of any kind. The factory iron sights were used for all testing and target work............................

Mods done to rifle:

One of my barrel struts.
One of my .060 gas port bushings.
Gas block torqued to proper specs.
Match trigger job. Trigger breaks clean @ just over 3 pounds.
Front and rear buffers.

I welcome any and all questions on accurizing the Mini-14, or any questions you may have about the Mini-14 or the Mini-30 or their histories.

Below are photos of this rifle and target:

183woody.jpg   woodytarget.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-17-2009, 12:19 AM   #2

Is this Chuck's?

glenthoughts
http://glenthoughts.blogspot.com

My .45 is a part of me, I trust it with my life, and train with it. First one to the giblets wins. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 12-17-2009, 12:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenthoughts View Post
Is this Chuck's?
Yes it is..............

Jim.........

Old 12-17-2009, 12:36 AM   #4

He is gonna be stoked...

glenthoughts

My .45 is a part of me, I trust it with my life, and train with it. First one to the giblets wins. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 12-17-2009, 12:56 AM   #5

He said he was going to send me a scope that he wanted on it, but never did. I will call him tonight or tomorrow night and let him know it's done.
If you talk to Chuck before I do, show him the thread so he knows what he's getting back.

Jim..............

Old 12-17-2009, 01:01 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Well done, well done.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-17-2009, 01:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterPsmith View Post
He said he was going to send me a scope that he wanted on it, but never did. I will call him tonight or tomorrow night and let him know it's done.
If you talk to Chuck before I do, show him the thread so he knows what he's getting back.

Jim..............
Done,

Just called him, he is very happy, will be looking at this post tonight.

I just talked to him, he is beside himself with joy after seeing this thread. He said the rifle was all over the place when he shot it.
I am sure more to follow. I figure he and I need to make a trek up to see you for a day of shooting. We shall see.

glenthoughts

Last edited by glenthoughts; 12-17-2009 at 02:33 AM.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenthoughts View Post
Done,

Just called him, he is very happy, will be looking at this post tonight.

I just talked to him, he is beside himself with joy after seeing this thread. He said the rifle was all over the place when he shot it.
I am sure more to follow. I figure he and I need to make a trek up to see you for a day of shooting. We shall see.
That would be a good way for him to pick it up. Better than shipping.

Jim............

Old 12-18-2009, 05:35 PM   #9

Quote:
That would be a good way for him to pick it up. Better than shipping.

Jim............
How about we show up around noon to 1pm sat? (tomorrow?)

Is that ok for you Jim?

glenthoughts

Old 12-18-2009, 11:06 PM   #10

Liked 327 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Got another one done this week and it's ready to go back to it's rightfull owner.

Took it out yesterday for test firing, and sighting. Fired about forty rounds to settle it in and sight it for 50 yards. Once sighted in, I fired three rounds for group @ 50 yards using the bench and no artificial rear support. Ammo used was Winchester white box 5.56, 55gr supplied by the owner. I measured the groups two outer most edges at .341" and subtracted .224" bullet diameter for a group size of .117" for the 3-round group. During testing, I had no vertical stringing or fliers of any kind. All brass were landing approx. 3' to my right and rear. There were no FTF or FTE of any kind. The factory iron sights were used for all testing and target work............................

Mods done to rifle:

One of my barrel struts.
One of my .060 gas port bushings.
Gas block torqued to proper specs.
Match trigger job. Trigger breaks clean @ just over 3 pounds.
Front and rear buffers.

I welcome any and all questions on accurizing the Mini-14, or any questions you may have about the Mini-14 or the Mini-30 or their histories.

Below are photos of this rifle and target:
I have a couple of questions about accurizing the mini. I purchased a new 580 series mini-14 last year in .223. So far I've had a tirgger job done (now pulls just a tad over 3#) and I had a bedding job done to it. Both these mods increased the accuracy slightly as it was shooting constant 1-1/4" groups at 100 yards. With these mods it now shoots just at about 1"+ at 100 yards.

The one thing about the trigger job is that it still has alot of creep and the 2 stage feature is practically nill. I'm somewhat spoiled with Jewell triggers.

What can be done to eliminate the creep of the trigger and restore a noticable 2 stage feature of this trigger? (I want to take it down to 2#)

What improvement will a barrel strut give me on this 580 series rifle that already shoots this good? (I feel that the 580 series is quite an improvement over the older 180 series I had in the late 1970's for accuracy)

Also, I'm about to start dinking with the ammo I reload for it in the areas of clearance of bullet to throat and the shoulder of the brass clearance to the chamber (COAL). I want to "tighten" these clearances up to see if it further improves accuracy. What would be good clearances to start with on this rifle?

Last edited by mrm14; 12-18-2009 at 11:10 PM.