Accu-Strut Placement?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Accu-Strut Placement?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 03:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Accu-Strut Placement?

Guys I just finished paying for the Mini this week!
I got it for $600 which INCLUDED: an Accu-Strut, 2 - 20rnd mags and 380 rounds of ammo! WHAT a deal!

Anyways, my post is to ask for advice on the way the previous owner installed it and i think he put it on incorrectly? (See my pics) I think he put it too far back towards the barrel taper.

Look at the pics and tell me what you guys think.
thanks in advance,
Glen

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-25-2011, 03:56 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yep, I think it's too far back. Loosen the bolts on that rear clamp some and move it forward some so that the taper isn't so sever. The benefits of the struts on the newer Mini's with the tapered barrels aren't as drastic as in the older thin barreled ones. You'll be just fine by moving the clamp forward off of the taper.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:15 PM   #3

Do you think I need the back clamp at all???
Thanks,
Glen

Old 07-25-2011, 03:34 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother_COM View Post
Thanks,
Glen
Probably not, but take your wrench with you to the range when you go and you can experiment some with it and some without it. I suspect you'll find that your newer Mini-14 will shoot just fine without the rear clamp on the Accu-strut.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:31 PM   #5

Liked 3136 Times on 1872 Posts
Likes Given: 2185

it really doesn't look too far back to me. the back of the clamp is supposedly made to "flex" a little bit for the taper.

here is the installation guide from the accu-strut page. it shows 3/4" away from the block, which isn't much. i think i put mine SLIGHTLY farther away form the block than that.

but the proff is in the shooting....see how she shoots before you go to the trouble of removing and replacing it. it is probabaly locktite(ed), so removing might be a little bit of pain (cleaning it all up). shoot it...if you get nice tight groups (2"-3" or so), leave it alone.

that's my 2 cents. click below for the accu-strut installation page.

Accu-strut for Mini-14

Last edited by hawkguy; 07-25-2011 at 08:41 PM.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother_COM View Post
Thanks,
Glen
in talking to kevin, the creator of the accu-strut, i think the answer is yes, you need the back clamp. the 2 clamp accu-struts are the only ones that have been proven in testing to improve accuracy. plus, the extra clamp should help draw heat away from your barrel.

accu-strut on tapered barrels doesn't get as much improvement from accu-strut as the old barrels, but i really think mine improved some. also, the benefits of keeping the barrel cooler is an added bonus.

again, i say shoot it, before you tamper with it.

btw, seems like you got a pretty good deal!

Old 07-25-2011, 10:35 PM   #7

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts

duplicate post = please delete

Last edited by jismail; 07-25-2011 at 10:38 PM.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:38 PM   #8

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts

wouldnt the strut with only one clamp perform at least as good as the SOCOM strut which comes with only one clamp? Why would it be any different - especially if your clamp is in the same location as the SOCOM would have been....

SOCOM installed with tapered barrel:

Old 07-25-2011, 11:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jismail View Post
wouldnt the strut with only one clamp perform at least as good as the SOCOM strut which comes with only one clamp? Why would it be any different - especially if your clamp is in the same location as the SOCOM would have been....

SOCOM installed with tapered barrel:
it may very well perform the same. but i think the only answer is "who knows?" to the best of my knowledge, the only strut that was tested for improvement of accuracy was the 2 clamp version. and the 2 clamp version posted like 50-75% group improvement for the lighter barrels & up to 30% improvement for the tapered barrels.

in short the way i see it, the 2 clamps are PROVEN to work. the single clamp hasn't really been proven (due to no testing), unless there is some independent testing out there i am unaware of. and i still think keeping the extra clamp on will help contol barrel heat.....so no real advantage to removing it that i can see. aren't the short 5" 1 clamp models designed for the shorter barrel, tactical models? if you have a standard barrel, i think the 2 clamp model is the way to go.

just my opinion, i'm not an expert.

Last edited by hawkguy; 07-25-2011 at 11:58 PM.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jismail View Post
You have a SOCOM Strut on a REGULAR length barrel. The SOCOM is supposed to be for the SHORT barrel that is too short for BOTH clamps.

Thanks again for the thoughts guys!

Kevin from Accu-Strut also got back to me this morning and he said the back clamp is OK where I had it. Just like most guys say... "Don't worry about it... It's MADE to do that!"

Over n' out!
Glen