581's first time out on the range...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > 581's first time out on the range...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
KMO
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default 581's first time out on the range...

I've never owned a firearm for a month before getting the first rounds fired through it, but I bought this 581-series Ranch so we could use it in the shop while developing a new Mo-Reaper to fit the flanged barrel. So, finally, I got some time to get out & play with it yesterday. I only modified it in 4 ways before this first time out on the range. MasterPsmith did another superb trigger job for me, a Mo-Rod was installed, our new Mo-Reaper was installed (perfect fit), and I loosened the 4 gas block screws so I could torque them equally. On that last item, I was surprised at the uneven gap (forward to back and side to side) in the gas block halves, and 2 of the 4 screws were barely tight at all. Usually, one gets a distinct "snap" when loosening the staked screws for the first time, but these seemed almost hand tight only. No worries, though, as the gap was corrected and the 4 screws torqued to 30 lbs. before I got out to the range. The results were just great. This Mini is equipped with Ultra Dot's Match Dot Red Dot sight mounted on Quick-Detach Warne 30mm rings. Nice. The rifle sighted in very fast, and I quickly moved from the paper target to a metal spinner target from Do-All Outdoors. I had no trouble plinking the metal target with every round until the target broke. I have yet to find a metal target that really can handle .223 rounds for very long. Anyway, a great morning out at the range, and I was very pleased with the results the new Mini turned in...

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-01-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Glad to hear that you finally got it out to shoot it and it's doing well. I don't buy crappy targets, I fabricate all my own. Have everything I need in my shop, which includes all my welding equipment and a CNC Plasma Cutting Table. Steel prices have gone way up though....Nothing I can't make as far as steel targets go............

Jim.......

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks