30 mm scope extension/offset Ruger rings low
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > 30 mm scope extension/offset Ruger rings low

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2015, 11:47 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 105 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Default 30 mm scope extension/offset Ruger rings low

Can't find anyone who makes these!

Anyone know where 30 mm scope extension/offset Ruger mount type rings low can be found?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-17-2015, 02:32 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6724 Times on 3580 Posts
Likes Given: 504

No one that ive ever heard of.

What are you trying to do??

Ruger's weird scope mounting is a big reason ive never purchased a m77 action.

I would suggest emailing ruger. If it exists they will almost certainly know and it cant hurt asking them. They tend to go above and beyound on customer service.

Of course someone here may know as well
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 01-17-2015, 01:52 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I'm mounting a Bushnell AR 223 1x4 24 mm scope on my Mini 14. (I tried a Nikon 3x too.) I'm using some excellent medium Warne QD rings but the brand of rings are not the problem. It is impossible to get the scope mounted as far rearward as it needs to be, due to the constraints inherent in scope design. This present setup is doable but another half inch or so would be perfect. On mounting this scope, I also discovered that low rings would be doable and would give a more natural cheek weld. It may require removing the year iron sight but that's no problem. Why not get it perfect?

Ruger makes 1" offset rings but not 30mm. I've scoured the web, to no avail.

If I can't get an answer here, I'll call Ruger on Monday. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited by LocoTonyF; 01-17-2015 at 02:02 PM.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:36 PM   #4

Liked 3242 Times on 1936 Posts
Likes Given: 2328

i dunno about the rings, but i'll do some looking.

one thought...can you incorporate your picatinny rail with standard off set rings?

on another thought? what a bout a stock change/adjustment? you could switch to an older style curved butt wood stock (which i love) as they are much shorter than the standard poly stock. also, and you probably don't wanna hear this, but a pistol grip stock w/ an adjustable butt stock would be an option as well.

other than that, i'd suggest selling this scope and getting a scout style scope for use with your rail?

just throwing out ideas....sorry if i'm wasting your time.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:09 PM   #5

BOOM! i think i got your fix. of course i am hesitant to recommend after your warne rings didn't work out.

it gets sketchy reviews (ncstar doesn't have the best rep), but i have this mount on my AR and it has been solid for me. it is a really flexible mounting piece for the price. you can off set the rings, adjust the spacing, and its QD. i would think it will work with your rail.

i'll try it on my new mini to see if it fits (but sorry, i ain't gonna change the ring set up )....too lazy for that).

for 29.99, worth a shot imo....if it fails, return it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/919685/ncstar-1-piece-quick-release-scope-mount-weaver-style-with-integral-30mm-rings-and-1-inserts-flat-top-ar-15-matte

Old 01-18-2015, 11:22 PM   #6

well, it will definitely work. and the back ring can be reversed to get the desired off set. but the set up will not be low.
File Type: jpg mount.jpg (29.9 KB, 41 views)

Old 01-18-2015, 11:26 PM   #7

ok....and if all that was a waste. here is a link to a "curved butt" older wood stock. you may not want this exact one one (appears a bit damaged), but these stocks are quite a bit shorter than the standard poly.

and the wood is sexier.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RUGER-MINI-14-RANCH-RIFLE-BARE-WOOD-STOCK-SEE-DESCRIPTION-/151530140584?pt=Vintage_Hunting&hash=item2347e673a 8

Old 01-19-2015, 03:02 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Hawk, you're never wasting my time. I'll look at these options. Of course, I already tried too high. Somehow or another, I want it as low as possible and back enough. I may have to go back to the rail with the lowest standard offset rings I can find. I do like having the scope weight over the action rather than forward like a scout setup.

I'm athinkin' on it. :banghead:

Last edited by LocoTonyF; 01-19-2015 at 03:07 AM.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:04 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

OK... I decided the solution with the most flexibility is to ditch this scope and go with a similar but 1" tubed scope instead. So, I went and got a Leupold VX Hog 1x4 20mm, which has a 1" tube. I'll try the 1" Ruger rings that came with the rifle. I can swap them to Ruger for the 1" offset, if need be.

NOW, I HAVE TOO MANY SCOPES, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! I've had them too long to return them. I'll have to try and sell the others on here or on Texas Gun Trader.

I'll post again when I get this new scope mounted...

Here is the new one...

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/hog-riflescopes/vx-hog-1-4x20mm/

Last edited by LocoTonyF; 01-20-2015 at 02:43 AM.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:47 AM   #10

dang that sucks about your scope dilemma! the first scope i tried out on my mini worked ok, but imo...never fit the rifle right (too big) and i have to sell it at a slight loss......live and learn.

now...i research scopes like crazy, but that is still no guarantee. i always take out and mount a scope practically the day i get it, and then see if it is what i think it should be. if its not, i send it back.

i went through this with my AR as well. i researched a scope i thought would be perfect, then i got and realized i didn't like anything about it. i sent that baby back at no charge. the scope i settled on, i like most things about it, but it still isn't what i'd call "perfect."

here is one more you might consider. good price, good reviews. nice, compact 1-3 scope, 1" tube. kinda wish i had tried for my AR. though its hard to go wrong with leupold from what i here.

http://swfa.com/Weaver-1-3x20-Classic-V-Rifle-Scope-P2864.aspx