1911 Buffer on Mini-14
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > 1911 Buffer on Mini-14

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2010, 02:57 AM   #1
KMO
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default 1911 Buffer on Mini-14

After having poor luck using recoil buffers that are marketed for use on the Mini-14, I took some advice from a friend and tried a buffer made for a 1911 pistol instead. Not only was it a cheaper way to go, they work great. The buffer goes on the guide rod where the “tongue” end of the guide rod & recoil spring meet the receiver. To install one, just pull back slightly on the spring & rod together until it is free of the cross pin. While doing so, be careful to observe which side of that cross pin the “tongue” was on (the top side). Inverting the guide rod will turn your Mini-14 into a single action shooter. The older Mini’s don’t have this tongue, but a centered insert into a recess instead. Anyway, just insert the 1911 buffer onto the guide rod with the ears toward the barrel, and release the rod & spring back into the receiver. Done! My friend took some good pics of his install...keep in mind the action is laying upside down...

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-20-2010, 03:28 AM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Good tip, I'll have to try it on my Mini!!

Great pics too!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:33 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What are the advantages of doing this?

The truth will set you free, but first it's going to piss you off.

"Time to nut up or shut up." - Tallahassee

"Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid." - The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:44 AM   #4

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Explained here http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/tips-accurizing-mini-14-part-two-24614/

People get the government they deserve.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:45 AM   #5

Liked 311 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 27

In my experience, I've seen no gain or benifit of a recoil buffer in either my M1A or Mini-14. I've tried them in the past and they usually 'eff' up the functioning action of the rifle.

My experience is limited with the use of these things but in both cases they were not good.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:57 AM   #6
KMO

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
My experience is limited with the use of these things but in both cases they were not good.
Well, in this case it's a minimal investment. You can buy a whole bunch of these on ebay for a pretty cheap price. My own bad experience with a buffer on my Mini-14 was when I used a commercial product. It was just too thick, and it wouldn't allow my rifle to cycle completely. I've also not had much luck with a second buffer in the front (gas block) either. Just too much heat up there for anything to last, and I got tired of prying out the molten goo from failed experiments. I'm convinced that having one in the rear will help preserve optics. I blew out two scopes before I started finding ways to tone down the recoil.

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com

Old 04-20-2010, 04:04 AM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I actually like them in the M14.

I run Superior Shooting Systems Chrome Silicon springs, and Sadlak NM guide rods in all my rifles, but tried a shock buffer that was given to me. It dramatically decreased the oprod impact against the receiver. The impact was quieter and less jarring. So I bought a bunch of buffers and put them the rest of my rifles.

My M25 now deposits the empty brass in a neat pile about 1.5' to 2' to the right of the ejection port. I could catch it all in a hat. That was not the case before the shock buffs.

A couple of my M14's have over 2,000 rds through them with the shock buffs in place and there is no sign of damage or wear to the buffers.

I think they could help Saigas and AK's a lot, too.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:05 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
Thanks.....hmm I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the info KMO

The truth will set you free, but first it's going to piss you off.

"Time to nut up or shut up." - Tallahassee

"Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid." - The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:16 AM   #9

Liked 311 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
I actually like them in the M14.

I run Superior Shooting Systems Chrome Silicon springs, and Sadlak NM guide rods in all my rifles, but tried a shock buffer that was given to me. It dramatically decreased the oprod impact against the receiver. The impact was quieter and less jarring. So I bought a bunch of buffers and put them the rest of my rifles.

My M25 now deposits the empty brass in a neat pile about 1.5' to 2' to the right of the ejection port. I could catch it all in a hat. That was not the case before the shock buffs.

A couple of my M14's have over 2,000 rds through them with the shock buffs in place and there is no sign of damage or wear to the buffers.

I think they could help Saigas and AK's a lot, too.
My M1A thats up an running still throws brass back at about a 45 dgeree angle 10 feet.

I have a little story that goes along with this: In 1998 at the shooting range, when I was shooting rapid fire, a woman with a low cut blouse, and she was well endowed up top, was walking down the fireing line with her husband. As she got close to my area a hot brass flew down her clevage. My god!!! The dance began and out the corner of my eye I saw it and knew what happened. I had to bite a hole in my lip to keep from laughing. I appoligized and then she she asked her husband, who was also biting a hole in his lip to keep from laughing as well, what kind of gun I had. He replied; It's the kind of gun he wanted. Sorry, after he said that, I broke out laughing. I ended up letting this woman fire 20 rounds through my M1A. She absolutely loved it even with her blistered tits. What else could I do?

Old 04-20-2010, 05:35 AM   #10

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
My M1A thats up an running still throws brass back at about a 45 dgeree angle 10 feet.

I have a little story that goes along with this: In 1998 at the shooting range, when I was shooting rapid fire, a woman with a low cut blouse, and she was well endowed up top, was walking down the fireing line with her husband. As she got close to my area a hot brass flew down her clevage. My god!!! The dance began and out the corner of my eye I saw it and knew what happened. I had to bite a hole in my lip to keep from laughing. I appoligized and then she she asked her husband, who was also biting a hole in his lip to keep from laughing as well, what kind of gun I had. He replied; It's the kind of gun he wanted. Sorry, after he said that, I broke out laughing. I ended up letting this woman fire 20 rounds through my M1A. She absolutely loved it even with her blistered tits. What else could I do?
Haha. You did the only reasonable thing, of course.