Wrong to open carry at a range? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report >

Wrong to open carry at a range?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
The range near me has a strict policy if no handling of invaded firearms at the firing line or behind it while the range is in "cold" condition which is the only time shooters are allowed down range. The range has a series of blue LED lights that are activated from any one shooting position by flipping up a switch. Any one switch will turn the lights on, but they all have to be turned off for the lights to go out. Each shooter has a badge that they hang near their switch once the range is called cold and they go down range. The range is 200 yds long with several sets of berms that could make folks down range not visible for periods of time on their way to and from the targets. Range isn't made "hot" again until all the switches are off. And all the badges are back on the shooters. During that whole cold range period firearms are on benches or in cases with actions open and mags out. That's just the way they roll there, but they don't want anyone accidentally shot. That is the rifle side of the range. Pistol side is similar, except you can holster, and draw from the holster once the range is hot. Cold range still equals all guns on the bench or in a closed case and no handling uncased firearms during a cold range. This is a large range, well staffed, and well monitored. The range I used to go to in Georgia was a public range on DNR land and had no range master. I always had a loaded, holstered pistol with me. Lots of places to dump a body for the gators and hogs out there. I didn't want to be their next meal. But the general rule was the same, that you don't actively manipulate a firearm while people are down range.
Went to a public range close to my home last year and a fella walked up and talked to us about coming on the range and shooting with his family, said he wanted the kids to understand firearms and firearms safety. So we clear our weapons and step back so he can get his stuff situated. After a short period of time he gives us the all clear and we resume our purpose for being there. I look over at these folks after I empty a mag and his kids have their little pink rifles pointed every which way and dude isn't paying any attention to them. That being his children and seeing how some people act when you approach them about what their kids are doing wrong we decided to pack up and leave. That's just one of the several reasons I joined a private club.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post

C'mon RJ. Their range, their rules, (posted or not), and your advice is to tell them to pound sand?
Donn,

In my opinion frowning on something is different than it being prohibited. The range employee even stated it wasn't against the rules.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 837 Times on 526 Posts
Likes Given: 257

I would say if you don't like it go to another range. As for covering I am sure one of these would not break the bank. $15.99. I personally take a range bag that I can keep the firearms ammo targets cleaning kit etc, makes sense.
untitled.png  

Last edited by manta; 11-26-2013 at 06:03 PM.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #24
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3382 Times on 2288 Posts
Likes Given: 710

If anything I OVERDO it when it comes to safely storing and transporting my gear. A dry Box with lock for the ammo and emergency tools, a Range bag for 2-3 Handguns, and a second Bag for long guns, Plus a third carried by Mz. Green for "her" guns that day...and a Re-Useable Tote bag for the Targets(yes the range sells Targets, and we do buy some,..but i get a better deal using the Birchwood Casey shoot N 'C Targets!)...
as good as our range is, 8 out of 10 people DO NOT call when they are shooting, where as I ALWAYS call OUT " RANGE GOING HOT", Shooting (and if i'm shooting Rimfire or Centerfire!!). To Me, it's just common courtesy.

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 11-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #25

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin1995 View Post
I prefer to carry at a range for similar reasons as cllowe. While I was there I had a full magazine in my back pocket that stayed there the whole time. And their RSO was open carrying. If they can open carry, shouldn't I be allowed to? And he didn't have his slide locked back either. I guess it's okay for them to feel safe and carry, but not their customers.

John: I really don't feel like I should have to do that. The laws here in Florida allow me to open carry if I'm engaged in lawful shooting activities at a range, and on my way to and from the range. I paid abit for my holster, so why not use it? Plus I like training with it, drawing and taking the safety off and putting a couple rounds down range. I just don't understand why people that work at a gun range/store seemed so afraid of me carrying a gun on my side.
A range bag is just a way to prevent your equipment from getting damaged or lost. Open carry is legal and I don't blame you for exercising your right to open carry. But driving down the road with all your gear on is uncomfortable. I can't draw a gun from a holster on my hip while belted in a vehicle. Ammo falling out of a plastic bag forcing you to play 100 round pick up is no fun.

Having a case is a way to protect your investment. A $10 case to protect a $500 gun is a wise investment.

I wouldn't care why they don't like you carrying your gun on your hip. They singled you out for no good reason. One thing I have learned in life is I can't make people like me.
People Like This 
Old 11-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

It was impossible to verify from all angles that your holstered firearm was in fact empty. People standing on the same side as your holster could see the firearm and verify that the slide was back and the magazine was out, people on the opposite side could not. For the safety of the entire range I side with the staff. It's their job to make the range as safe as it can possibly be. Help them to do their job.

By the way, quit your whining. It's not like they threw you out. All they wanted to do was ask you to help make their job easier.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:52 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1341 Times on 793 Posts
Likes Given: 250

Several ranges in the Detroit area have no OC policy, every single one of them is run and/or owned by LEO.

The only comment I received at my fav range and firearm accessories store, was the range officer on duty saw me eying holsters and requested I have him clear my firearm before trying the holsters with my carry firearm. Fair request.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:00 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 486 Times on 269 Posts
Likes Given: 970

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
A range bag is just a way to prevent your equipment from getting damaged or lost. Open carry is legal and I don't blame you for exercising your right to open carry. But driving down the road with all your gear on is uncomfortable. I can't draw a gun from a holster on my hip while belted in a vehicle. Ammo falling out of a plastic bag forcing you to play 100 round pick up is no fun.

Having a case is a way to protect your investment. A $10 case to protect a $500 gun is a wise investment.

I wouldn't care why they don't like you carrying your gun on your hip. They singled you out for no good reason. One thing I have learned in life is I can't make people like me.
I've got a thigh holster, so it is actually pretty easy to draw while i'm sitting in my truck. And I understand it's their range, their rules, but comeon. And this range doesn't go cold. It's a indoor shooting range and you are not allowed the line for any reason, ever.

Yes, I know $16 dollars isn't much, but that's two hours of pay, and that's a box of 50 rounds that I could be training with instead of buying extra gear.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:04 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 486 Times on 269 Posts
Likes Given: 970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
It was impossible to verify from all angles that your holstered firearm was in fact empty. People standing on the same side as your holster could see the firearm and verify that the slide was back and the magazine was out, people on the opposite side could not. For the safety of the entire range I side with the staff. It's their job to make the range as safe as it can possibly be. Help them to do their job.

By the way, quit your whining. It's not like they threw you out. All they wanted to do was ask you to help make their job easier.
I didn't realize I was whining. I'm just trying to see if I did something wrong, or if the staff was over reacting. Regardless, I think i'm going to stick with my usual range. It's a little bit more of a drive, but their staff seems much more friendly.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:16 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin1995 View Post

I didn't realize I was whining. I'm just trying to see if I did something wrong, or if the staff was over reacting. Regardless, I think i'm going to stick with my usual range. It's a littlew bit more of a drive, but their staff seems much more friendly.
I personally don't think you did anything wrong. And I agree maybe sticking to your normal range is the best move.