Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Wrong to open carry at a range?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 02:26 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

My range rules are very clearly posted, so I follow them. With one deviation that's been clarified by the range master.

Open carry onto the range, slide back, empty chamber is fine. Once guns get to the firing line, flag is inserted and it stays on the bench during prep time or range cold.

When the gun leaves the firing line, such as to replace it on the firing line with another, it's shown clear to the range officer and stowed in a bag or case. If you don't have a bag or case, it just stays on the line with a flag in it.

(The only deviation from the posted rules) Carrying a loaded gun with a round chambered OFF/FROM the range (NOT downrange) is fine. They understand that people come and shoot, and then carry on about their day. Loading on the range and holstering it there is safer than doing so at your car.

I'm not too worried about someone going postal at the range. The range I go to is the sheriff's office range, and it's almost over staffed with deputies who volunteer their time, and regardless of the fame, it'd a small town. Plus, I shoot steel, so I have no need to go downrange, meaning my gun is always within arm's reach with a loaded mag on hand.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:27 AM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20856 Times on 11856 Posts
Likes Given: 52395

partner, my suggestion isto find another range to shoot at. these people seem like class A douchebags. probably because your not in the inner circle or something.

it's not against the rules, but is frowned upon for doing it? where is the logic in that statement? there isn't.

personally i have not one problem with follwing rules when i am on someone else's property, but if it's frowned upon, but they don't have a rule against, tough! if they don't like it and frown upon someone doing they need to make a rule applying to it. then IMO they have a leg to stand on when they say something to someone for doing it.

People Like This 
Old 11-26-2013, 02:45 AM   #13

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55
partner, my suggestion isto find another range to shoot at. these people seem like class A douchebags. probably because your not in the inner circle or something. it's not against the rules, but is frowned upon for doing it? where is the logic in that statement? there isn't. personally i have not one problem with follwing rules when i am on someone else's property, but if it's frowned upon, but they don't have a rule against, tough! if they don't like it and frown upon someone doing they need to make a rule applying to it. then IMO they have a leg to stand on when they say something to someone for doing it.
This.
I'd take my money and gun elsewhere, like stated there's no reason to approach you if you're not breaking any rules by their own admission.

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-26-2013, 03:05 AM   #14

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The club I go to had to install overhead material about 25 feet away from the firing line toward the targets. Buffering is what they called it. It was explained that the insurance company required it a few years ago to prevent stray rounds from leaving the lanes. They also explained that insurance requirement further restricted drawing from the hip on the range and shoot and move type activities. I'm not saying they don't go on there during competitions but they will put your card for doing it any other time.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:05 AM   #15
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2986 Times on 2032 Posts
Likes Given: 632

At Our range it's simple: no loaded guns un cased or un holstered. Un case at the firing line only. Full time LE's may carry their duty gun into or out of the range area.
So whatever I'm carrying, Goes into the case with the others until I get inside.

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 11-26-2013, 07:26 AM   #16
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 908 Times on 599 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Every range has range rules. Suggest to them, to add their preference to the clearly stated rules, so everyone can follow them.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #17

Liked 203 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 40

You made a point to mention that you are 18. Maybe you sense there was a little profiling going on. It wouldn't be the first time somebody got hassled over their age.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #18
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1355 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
partner, my suggestion isto find another range to shoot at. these people seem like class A douchebags. probably because your not in the inner circle or something.

there it is. we frown on it. yeah well frown this

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous
People Like This 
Old 11-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #19

Liked 374 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
As soon as they said it isn't against the rules, you should have told them to go frown somewhere else.
C'mon RJ. Their range, their rules, (posted or not), and your advice is to tell them to pound sand? The young man didn't have anything to carry in but a holster? I've seen guys come to the range/LGS with their weapon in a plastic grocery bag. Not very elegent, but it worked. Or, vote with your feet. Point is, there are better ways to handle something like this than going right to Def Con 1

Old 11-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #20

Liked 2075 Times on 1222 Posts
Likes Given: 445

The range near me has a strict policy if no handling of invaded firearms at the firing line or behind it while the range is in "cold" condition which is the only time shooters are allowed down range. The range has a series of blue LED lights that are activated from any one shooting position by flipping up a switch. Any one switch will turn the lights on, but they all have to be turned off for the lights to go out. Each shooter has a badge that they hang near their switch once the range is called cold and they go down range. The range is 200 yds long with several sets of berms that could make folks down range not visible for periods of time on their way to and from the targets. Range isn't made "hot" again until all the switches are off. And all the badges are back on the shooters.

During that whole cold range period firearms are on benches or in cases with actions open and mags out.

That's just the way they roll there, but they don't want anyone accidentally shot. That is the rifle side of the range. Pistol side is similar, except you can holster, and draw from the holster once the range is hot. Cold range still equals all guns on the bench or in a closed case and no handling uncased firearms during a cold range.
This is a large range, well staffed, and well monitored.

The range I used to go to in Georgia was a public range on DNR land and had no range master. I always had a loaded, holstered pistol with me. Lots of places to dump a body for the gators and hogs out there. I didn't want to be their next meal. But the general rule was the same, that you don't actively manipulate a firearm while people are down range.