Wrong to open carry at a range?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Wrong to open carry at a range?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 419 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 865

Default Wrong to open carry at a range?

Hey guys, I've got a quick question for you. Is it wrong to open carry my pistol when I go to the shooting range? I was at a local range last weekend with my beretta m9 sitting in my thigh holster, magazine out and slide locked back. I was immediately confronted by multiple staff members telling me that it wasn't a smart idea to wear my pistol in a holster. They said it wasn't against the rules, only it was frowned upon. I don't have a case for it, and don't really feel like dishing out the money for one (i'm a poor 18 year old). Has anyone else ran into something like this, or am I just not aware of proper gun range etiquette?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-25-2013, 11:22 PM   #2

Liked 304 Times on 215 Posts

No magazine and slide locked back is the rule at our local range. If there is no rule against it I'm not sure why people are upset. It is a GUN range after all. Confused.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:26 PM   #3

Liked 1834 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 1209

If it is not against the rules I don't know why it would be frowned upon. If I ran a range and didn't want people doing something, I would make a rule against it. I would post the rules at the entrance of the building.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

People Like This 
Old 11-25-2013, 11:33 PM   #4

Liked 980 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 628

I don't see anything wrong here. OP, I think you should go back and ask what the SPECIFIC problem is, and report back to us.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:50 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1565 Times on 1066 Posts
Likes Given: 540

I wouldn't go back to that range. I have found when I have a bad experience from the start at a range things are not going to get better.

You can use an old computer bag for a range bag. I have a nice leather computer bag I got at the goodwill for $5. You can get soft pistol cases for under $10 almost anywhere. I like the computer bag because it doesn't look like a gun bag sitting on the seat. With ammo and my cover garment in the computer bag it looks innocuous. All the slots in the computer bag keep my magazines, glasses and other necessities in order.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 11-25-2013 at 11:55 PM.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:58 PM   #6

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I joined a shooting club here in Chattanooga. Their rule is, if you carry you can carry but if you unholster you have to clear and go cold and stay that way. I never, ever go to the range without my loaded carry weapon on my person. While the other members I have met seem like nice folks, I don't know them so I don't trust em.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:26 AM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

I always carry at the range. Call me crazy but I don't want to be down range putting targets up and some wacko start shooting. I at least want a fighting chance. But hey that stuff don't happen does it. Crime rate is at a all time low.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:53 AM   #8

Liked 419 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 865

I prefer to carry at a range for similar reasons as cllowe. While I was there I had a full magazine in my back pocket that stayed there the whole time. And their RSO was open carrying. If they can open carry, shouldn't I be allowed to? And he didn't have his slide locked back either. I guess it's okay for them to feel safe and carry, but not their customers.

John: I really don't feel like I should have to do that. The laws here in Florida allow me to open carry if I'm engaged in lawful shooting activities at a range, and on my way to and from the range. I paid abit for my holster, so why not use it? Plus I like training with it, drawing and taking the safety off and putting a couple rounds down range. I just don't understand why people that work at a gun range/store seemed so afraid of me carrying a gun on my side.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:03 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

While I don't go to that kind of range (mine is basically several open lanes in a field with dirt backstops and no employees on site, and yes I do open carry at it), I don't see a problem with it if it's not against the rules. Your in a place full of guns, with people actively shooting and handling guns. How could wearing an unloaded gun on your hip cause problems?

Old 11-26-2013, 02:22 AM   #10

Liked 2486 Times on 1115 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

As soon as they said it isn't against the rules, you should have told them to go frown somewhere else.