WOW! What a Concept!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > WOW! What a Concept!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 12:08 PM   #1

Default WOW! What a Concept!

I was at the range yesterday. The guy next to me, on my left, was shooting an AR of some kind. I noticed that his empty brass were not flying in my direction. I wondered why so I closely watched him. He had some kind of cloth bag shell catcher on his rifle that caught the empty brass as it was flung out the gun. I told him that I appreciated the fact that he was using this device and he responded that he tried to be safe and respect the other shooters around him. Now if all of the other semi-auto shooters would do that the range would be a nicer place to visit.
cottontop

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5678 Times on 2965 Posts
Likes Given: 375

those are sweet. ive been using basscatchers of some type on my AR15's for years. i got my first one back in the 80's. its was hard plastic only held 60 rounds of brass and was a bit of a pain to empty. the little baggy version work great and adapt to a wide variety of semi auto not just AR15

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts

He's full of crap! He doesn't care about the shooters around him. He is a reloader!

Old 09-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #4

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy00 View Post
He's full of crap! He doesn't care about the shooters around him. He is a reloader!

My thoughts exactly.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-15-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 72

The Rifle Club range here has brass catchers that you can use when firing semi-auto weapons.They look like a drawer standing on it's back with heavy canvas cloth loosely attached to where the bottom would have been.There is a catch box where the expended brass ends up after sliding down the cloth

I stole their idea and made one of these to attach to my portable shooting bench.Now I don't have to search all over for my brass anymore.It's great!!!

Old 09-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #6

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotenator View Post
The Rifle Club range here has brass catchers that you can use when firing semi-auto weapons.They look like a drawer standing on it's back with heavy canvas cloth loosely attached to where the bottom would have been.There is a catch box where the expended brass ends up after sliding down the cloth

I stole their idea and made one of these to attach to my portable shooting bench.Now I don't have to search all over for my brass anymore.It's great!!!
I need to make something like that for my CZ-82. Unfortunately, it would probably end up being the size of a kiddie pool. For a smallish pistol, the thing throws brass at least 25 feet into a 10 foot circle.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #7
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1986 Times on 1076 Posts
Likes Given: 592

I use a couple of long wood working clamps and attach a beach towel to stop the flying brass. I even use it with steel case and 22lr.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 09-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #8

Liked 1739 Times on 898 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

I've started spreading a cheap 8x10 tarp on my right for the brass to fall on to. I put spikes through the corner grommets into the ground holding it taut. It makes it real easy to collect almost all of the brass after a session.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:47 PM   #9

Liked 718 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Shooters have been using brass catchers for way over 50 years

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:47 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1816 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine
I've started spreading a cheap 8x10 tarp on my right for the brass to fall on to. I put spikes through the corner grommets into the ground holding it taut. It makes it real easy to collect almost all of the brass after a session.
That's what we do at my cousin's house. It is definitely a time saver.