Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Wife's new Walther PK380

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 03:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Wife's new Walther PK380

Went and picked up the wife's new Walther PK380 on friday. After getting all the paperwork out of the way we immediately stepped out on the range to see just how well it would perform.

Target #2

This was the first target we shot, and we both shot this target so its kinda hard to tell how well each of us did. However I clearly remember that her first shot was dead center of the orange circle. So not much else to say other than she did pretty well right off the bat.

Target #3

She shot this target all by her lonesome. She is left eye dominant but right handed. At first I asked her to see if she could switch eyes, which she attempted, aiming at the "bad guy" on the left. After a clip, and a few errant shots, she decided to go back to her normal shooting style.

She did pretty well when she switched back and had some pretty good groups on the right side, I especially was impressed by her very last shot on this side which dead center of the face.

Target #4
She wanted to take a break, so I pulled out my XDm9 and very quickly shot up a box of 50 in about 4 mins. All of which were aimed at the mid torso section. I then got out all of my hollow point ammo to try out. I had only shot target ammo out of the XDm up until now, cause "i'm cheap."
1st up was the Hornady critical defense 115gr FTX
5 shots all within the middle of the head. Felt really good.

2nd was PMC Gold 124gr SFHP
4 shots first shot was a good 10 inches to the right, next 2 were just right of the lower jaw area and the last was dead center of the neck. not really impressed with this ammo and it had more recoil than anything i've put through the xdm.

3rd was Winchester Luger 147gr JHP, 5 shots at the head, 3 were touching and the other two just to the left. By far the best performing of the three in my opinion. and now has replaced the hornady as my home load of choice.

Target #1
Her last target. This target I asked her to fire as quickly as she could to see how well she could stay on target. From what I could tell standing behind her, she would get two shots very close and then her aim would drop about and 1 1/2 to 2 inches, then two more close and she would drop again. Still overall, I felt pretty comfortable with her handling of the weapon and her firing it. I definitely feel better about her being home alone.

We both had a blast, cant wait to go back again this friday!!!
Please chime in and let me know whatcha think.

380-001.jpg   380-002.jpg   380-005.jpg   380-006.jpg   380-008.jpg  

Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun, You might meet'm both if you show up here not welcome son...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-09-2009, 03:08 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just a couple more pics. The other pistols are my XDm9 and her Walther P22. Just so you can get an idea of the size and scale. The P22 was her first gun but a 22 just doesn't cut it, nice plinker though.

380-007.jpg   380-009.jpg   380-010.jpg  

Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun, You might meet'm both if you show up here not welcome son...

Old 11-09-2009, 03:30 AM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Nice shooting, Both of you!! Thanks for the report!

What distance were you shooting?

People get the government they deserve.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:34 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
Nice shooting, Both of you!! Thanks for the report!

What distance were you shooting?
I guess thats pretty important, 7 yards. Cant believe I left that off. Thanks.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:09 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Good shooting. It's a good thing to make it a family affair.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-09-2009, 11:14 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Nice collection of guns you got there. Glad to hear your wife enjoys it too. My wife and I have spent many afternoons shooting together, it's a good way to have fun and build your relationship.
How hard has it been for you to feed that 380?? I've shot the Walthers and I like they way they feel in my hand and wouldn't mind having a 22 like yours just for fun. The only thing I can't get past is the location of the mag release, just can't get used to it. If I got one it would only be for play and nothing else.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-09-2009, 11:25 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've gotten used to the mag release pretty well, i just use my thumb and middle finger together. as far as feeding it did fail to feed twice on friday, both times the wife had it, and it was the last round in the mag. the round was verticle so it definitely grabbed it but didn't finish the feed. I wasn't sure if it had anything to do with her, or if it was due to the lubrication from the factory. We shot it straight out of the box, so that is something i'm going to look at this friday and see if it happens at all with me, now that i've cleaned and lubed it up. I'll keep up updated to let you know.
There are a couple differences between the P22 and the 380.
1- the P22 wont fire without the mag in, the 380 will
2- the 380 has a small gap that allows you to see the round inside the chamber without opperating the slide
3- you cant lock the slide back on the 380 unless the magazine is in place

Old 11-09-2009, 11:36 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I actually was curious about the availablity of 380 ammo down your way. I haven't seen a box of that stuff in months!!

You mentioned something else I didn't like about the Walthers, they need the mag in to fire. If the 380 goes off without it in, no problem then.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:41 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The range had a decent ammount of target ammo, but it was strictly for range usage and he was currently out of HP but was expecting some in this week I think. As far as anywhere else, I called 7 walmarts, 2 dick sporting goods, and gander mountain(all from burlington to greensboro) no one had any 380. My dad picked me up 4 boxes(50 count) of HP at a gun show in Wilson on saturday, and I went home to get that. I figured I needed something for her, because throwing it at a bad guy wouldn't really do her any good. It was some brand I'd never heard of and it was out of mexico. I'm definitely on the look out though.

Oh a better note, I caught some federal 9mm target ammo at wally world the last two times i checked, picked up the max ammount both times. hard not to when its only 9.97 for 50 rounds.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:49 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Your walmart doesn't have any 45 do they? I haven't seen a single box of that in months either. I might know where there is some Hornady Critical Defense for your 380...not sure if they still have any or not.