Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Wife's new savage ruger 44 carbine and vaquero's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 02:36 AM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5102 Times on 2652 Posts
Likes Given: 309

Default Wife's new savage ruger 44 carbine and vaquero's

Today the wife and i went out to the rifle range. we took the savage model 10 fcp-sr with nightforce nxs f1 suppressed with a surefire fa762k. it was her first time shooting that rifle at 200 yards. she also told me in no uncertain terms i no longer owned that rifle scope and suppressor... its now her's lol. she did VERY well holding sub moa consistantly with one 3 shot group coming in at .4 inches

here she is shooting the rifle

http://www.firearmstalk.com/video/fcpsr-1-23.html

http://www.firearmstalk.com/video/fcpsr-2-24.html

i also brought my ruger 44magnum carbine for site in and had purchesd some magtech 240grain softpoint with some gift certificates i had. magtech primers either really suck or the firing pin is super beefy. i normally load with 300 grain softpoints and cci primers at near max loadings

i got more than a few pierced primers with the magtech!!

also got to shoot my new ruger vaqueros a bit with 45colt ammo. loading was 250grain lyman molded round nose lead over 6.5 grains of unique.

distance was 10 yards from a rest.

accuracy was very good one gun was the two right hand targets the other the two left hand ones and the center group was rapid fire. so each gun was shot at two targets. im not sure if the guns are shooting left or if it is me.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

vincent Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-28-2012, 03:27 AM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1647 Times on 899 Posts
Likes Given: 527

It is interesting how the wives lay claim to your best guns and all you can say is yes dear.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-28-2012, 03:30 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
It is interesting how the wives lay claim to your best guns and all you can say is yes dear.
yes but at least she likes to shoot. she doesnt like harder hitting rounds and wont touch that rifle without the suppressor soaking up 90% of the recoil. my 458 winmag is totally safe!!

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-28-2012, 03:58 AM   #4

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Considering both guns were shooting left, I'd say it was probably you. How do you do with other handguns? You have other SA revolvers?

Old 10-28-2012, 04:08 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Considering both guns were shooting left, I'd say it was probably you. How do you do with other handguns? You have other SA revolvers?
im thinking its me as well. this is the first time ive ever fired a SA revolver at an actual target that wasnt bare dirt on the side of a hill. ive got a colt python

this is typical of my semi-auto shooting

ive got a colt python that ive shot very very little and you can see its also off the left

i think i need to do a lot of dry fire sa revolvers are a new animal to me.

Last edited by JonM; 10-28-2012 at 04:13 AM.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:12 AM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19475 Times on 11063 Posts
Likes Given: 49082

Jon, the Vaquero's are really, really nice! other than the POI to the left a bit, thsoe were pretty good groups. nice shooting!

Old 10-28-2012, 04:18 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

thanks. im wondering if velocity has anything to do with left right drift. the 45acp i shot out of one of em was dead on when i fired one of the guns last weekend. the 6.5 grains of unique is nearer minimum loads than max for 45colt. i dont have a lot of experience with sa revolvers or revolvers in general but im not a horrid pistol shooter.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:22 AM   #8

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4283

Great report Jon...+1!!

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 10-28-2012, 04:26 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19475 Times on 11063 Posts
Likes Given: 49082

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
thanks. im wondering if velocity has anything to do with left right drift. the 45acp i shot out of one of em was dead on when i fired one of the guns last weekend. the 6.5 grains of unique is nearer minimum loads than max for 45colt. i dont have a lot of experience with sa revolvers or revolvers in general but im not a horrid pistol shooter.
with the other pistols, no i would not say your a horrid shooter! could be just a different type of technique is needed shooting a SA pistol. another easy solution is to try your next loads a little hotter to see what happens. i am curious now to see what happens.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:34 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
Great report Jon...+1!!
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
with the other pistols, no i would not say your a horrid shooter! could be just a different type of technique is needed shooting a SA pistol. another easy solution is to try your next loads a little hotter to see what happens. i am curious now to see what happens.
i will for next weekend. i will load minimum loading and some close to max. ill also bring some 45acp for the extra cylinder. most likely though its me.

Last edited by JonM; 10-28-2012 at 04:37 AM.