why does my local range? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > why does my local range?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
I bought some swishers the other day at a convenience store I don't normally frequent, and they swiped the ID to verify my age. I didn't like it, and I told them so. They assured me that their system did not record the information.

Perhaps the range uses the swipe to record your name & info as a record of who was on the range, for use in the event of a shooting or damage to the facilities, like an automated sign-in sheet with no allowance for aliases. I seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriously doubt they are running it through NCIS as if they were doing a 4473 for a firearms sale.
That probably makes more sense. I don't know if they check members' i.d.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:10 AM   #12

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Back in "allthenoise" (Illinois) we had a FOID card. That is what you had to show at the range. But to get a FOID card you already had to have a state police criminal background check. Here in the show-me state. "we don't need no stinkin' ranges". Many of us in the rural area have 5 or more acres so we shoot at home. There are times when it sounds like a range outside....if you can hear anything over the tractors and cicadas.

Never waste time deciding between two guns....buy both of them.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:42 AM   #13
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaCapt

I live in Az and I've never had them clip my ID to the shooing lane. Was that an indoor range? They used to make me sign a waiver before I got a membership.. Love Az..
Mine takes your ID and puts in on a clipboard with a list of your time and charges. The only thing they Swipe is your credit or debit card.

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 09-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #14

Liked 5007 Times on 2428 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy View Post
What part of Washington? There's only one range Near me and the next closest range is at least two hours away. And even still the liberal cry babies tries to get the only range in town shut down! I think they added the I.d thing after they opened back up but I'm not sure. Maybe as a way to bow to the people who wanted them gone.
Vancouver area, Clark County.

I'm a member and RSO for Clark Rifles Gun Club and we allow the public to shoot on Sundays... Never had a requirement to check ID's

Old 09-06-2013, 05:43 PM   #15

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Is it a private range, on private property, or public ?

Old 09-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Vancouver area, Clark County.

I'm a member and RSO for Clark Rifles Gun Club and we allow the public to shoot on Sundays... Never had a requirement to check ID's
[scribbling notes for bobthefed]

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #17
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1337 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Misuse and mismanagement is a huge deal these days, however, not everyone asking for your driver's license is into identity theft! There are valid reasons for requesting it, and usually it's to save resources and make life easier for you and the clerk.

The only information in the stripe of your license is the information that's on the front. Name, address, height, weight, age - everything but the photo. No driving citations, criminal record or anything else is carried on your license. Many Point of Sale (POS) systems, ESPECIALLY in adult-only industries (guns, alcohol, adult entertainment), scan your license and check the age to make sure you can rent guns, buy ammo, buy pistols or rifles, etc. and this is an INTERNAL check done by the software. It then marks a software "flag" that your State I.D. Has been checked and you are an adult, but no record of birthday is kept.

Some POS systems will record your address and name for marketing purposes. Some will keep all of your information to be able to fill out an online 4473 for future gun purchases. Some record only your zip code for marketing area purposes. Except for the last one (zip code only), you MUST sign a consent form for the store to save any info in their system OR run it against ANY database (credit, NCIC, marketing, etc.) and the fines for misuse of your information come with some very stiff penalties - too high for a retailer to violate them. This has been done to avoid making a form to fill out (a waste of our natural resources), having a clerk explain it to every customer (a waste of time), having the customer fill it out, possibly with errors or filling it out wrong (another waste of time), and then throwing the form out (extra trash) after the clerk transfers all the information into the computer (more time wasting). You should be asked to sign a form allowing them to save and/or run info, if that is their intention - no form = not able to save info, just used for adult check and saving zip code.

Everyone has a right to secure their info, and BEFORE anyone gets handed your driver's license, you should always ask the question: "what information are you using, how, and are you saving it?" If the clerk doesn't know, tell him to get someone who does. Also, any responsible store will have a printed policy of their use of personal information. Any of you that have already turned over your card to scanners, call them, ask the same question, and DEMAND that your information be removed from their system if you did not give permission for its use. You have complete control over your private info and how others use it. Contact your state Department of Consumer Affairs on any business that does not follow your instructions IMMEDIATELY.

Finally, NEVER let your license go out of your sight! It can be photocopied, a picture taken of it with a cell phone or scanned by a reader not owned by the store owner. It should never be slid in a reader not on the counter and part of a POS or BATFE system. Small, handheld scanners can be carried in the pocket by clerks bent on identity theft. If a clerk tries to walk away, stop him and take your license back. Waiters also fall in this category: It's okay to check your name against credit card, but there is no reason to leave the table with your license.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 09-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #18

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

In Illinois, all ranges will ask to see your FOID (Firearms Owner Identification Card). It isn't needed to shoot actually, but is needed for you to be in possession of a firearm or ammo. I can have my wife, children or a friend shoot without one as long as I am supervising their use of my firearm.

Most will have you record your FOID number and sign a waver of liability form. As to having to deposit your drivers lic., I am aware of only one range that requires that because the Chief of Police of the city they are in request it. I told them to kiss my butt since it is against State law for them to do so. I can see it if you are renting their equipment (firearms) but outside of that NO.

It is your choice to do so or not, you do not need to use their facilities if you feel that your are being abused.

Jim

On the same note, when purchasing a firearm the seller will make a photocopy of your Driver LIC. and FOID card that they attach to their copy of the 4473 form this is standard practice here.

Last edited by bigjim; 09-06-2013 at 10:05 PM.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:25 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2443 Times on 1340 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg
Misuse and mismanagement is a huge deal these days, however, not everyone asking for your driver's license is into identity theft! There are valid reasons for requesting it, and usually it's to save resources and make life easier for you and the clerk.

The only information in the stripe of your license is the information that's on the front. Name, address, height, weight, age - everything but the photo. No driving citations, criminal record or anything else is carried on your license. Many Point of Sale (POS) systems, ESPECIALLY in adult-only industries (guns, alcohol, adult entertainment), scan your license and check the age to make sure you can rent guns, buy ammo, buy pistols or rifles, etc. and this is an INTERNAL check done by the software. It then marks a software "flag" that your State I.D. Has been checked and you are an adult, but no record of birthday is kept.

Some POS systems will record your address and name for marketing purposes. Some will keep all of your information to be able to fill out an online 4473 for future gun purchases. Some record only your zip code for marketing area purposes. Except for the last one (zip code only), you MUST sign a consent form for the store to save any info in their system OR run it against ANY database (credit, NCIC, marketing, etc.) and the fines for misuse of your information come with some very stiff penalties - too high for a retailer to violate them. This has been done to avoid making a form to fill out (a waste of our natural resources), having a clerk explain it to every customer (a waste of time), having the customer fill it out, possibly with errors or filling it out wrong (another waste of time), and then throwing the form out (extra trash) after the clerk transfers all the information into the computer (more time wasting). You should be asked to sign a form allowing them to save and/or run info, if that is their intention - no form = not able to save info, just used for adult check and saving zip code.

Everyone has a right to secure their info, and BEFORE anyone gets handed your driver's license, you should always ask the question: "what information are you using, how, and are you saving it?" If the clerk doesn't know, tell him to get someone who does. Also, any responsible store will have a printed policy of their use of personal information. Any of you that have already turned over your card to scanners, call them, ask the same question, and DEMAND that your information be removed from their system if you did not give permission for its use. You have complete control over your private info and how others use it. Contact your state Department of Consumer Affairs on any business that does not follow your instructions IMMEDIATELY.

Finally, NEVER let your license go out of your sight! It can be photocopied, a picture taken of it with a cell phone or scanned by a reader not owned by the store owner. It should never be slid in a reader not on the counter and part of a POS or BATFE system. Small, handheld scanners can be carried in the pocket by clerks bent on identity theft. If a clerk tries to walk away, stop him and take your license back. Waiters also fall in this category: It's okay to check your name against credit card, but there is no reason to leave the table with your license.
DL info can be found pretty easily if you have the right tools or friends in the right places. Just don't put your social on it and don't worry about it too much. ;-)

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Old 09-07-2013, 07:54 AM   #20

Liked 5007 Times on 2428 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
[scribbling notes for bobthefed]
Asphinctersayswhat???? asphinctersayskissmebobthefed!