why does my local range?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > why does my local range?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 04:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default why does my local range?

Quick question, is it normal for my local range to swipe my drivers license? I've never had this done before at other ranges. I'm in California so who knows what kind of crazy %*#& they're up to. Just curious if anyone knows about this. Do they have the authority to run my I. D. ?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-05-2013, 04:39 AM   #2

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

My range scans it and has it in their system. Whether or not they have that authority is a good question, but I do know that I can't shoot there unless I consent to it. I'm assuming they have to do it to make sure there aren't any felons in possession of firearms using their range.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:42 AM   #3

Liked 158 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 42

ooooh Komiefornia -- probably tracking what evil weapons you dare to own. shoot or rent there. j/k, that does sound crazy. Here in the free state of AZ, they just clip your ID to the lane you are assigned to, and ooooh and ahhhh if you bring a pretty awesome weapon to the range.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:52 AM   #4

Liked 4819 Times on 2334 Posts
Likes Given: 1502

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenGlamis View Post
ooooh Komiefornia -- probably tracking what evil weapons you dare to own. shoot or rent there. j/k, that does sound crazy. Here in the free state of AZ, they just clip your ID to the lane you are assigned to, and ooooh and ahhhh if you bring a pretty awesome weapon to the range.
Wow... AZ sounds about as Commie as Commifornia.

I've never been asked to show ID in Washington State or Oregon to use a range.

Tack
Old 09-05-2013, 05:02 AM   #5

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1

Wow... AZ sounds about as Commie as Commifornia.

I've never been asked to show ID in Washington State or Oregon to use a range.

Tack
What part of Washington? There's only one range Near me and the next closest range is at least two hours away. And even still the liberal cry babies tries to get the only range in town shut down! I think they added the I.d thing after they opened back up but I'm not sure. Maybe as a way to bow to the people who wanted them gone.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:05 AM   #6

Sooooo, if they're checking for felons then they're running my dl correct? Just seemed weird because no other range that I've been to has done this. They keep track of enough without tracking WHEN and WHERE I'm shooting! Gotta move.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:40 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Hasn't happened to me, been living in Kalifornia for about a year and a half.

Of course, I have an Ohio driver's license. But they never swiped my wife's DL either, and her's is from here.

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #8

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenGlamis
I live in Az and I've never had them clip my ID to the shooing lane. Was that an indoor range? They used to make me sign a waiver before I got a membership.. Love Az..

Old 09-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

There are two ranges near me that do that. One takes your driver's license and a phone number if you're renting the use of a plate rack. There's a padlock on the racks, and having your license and phone number helps them make sure they get the key back.

Another range takes your DL if you aren't a member. If you are a member, they just hold your member ID. In their case, if you use their range, you pay as you leave. So they attach a sales ticket to your ID with a list of stuff you will have to pay for (ammunition, targets, etc.). That way, if you want more ammo, they can add it to your bill, and you just pay once.

Neither of these places runs a check on your ID.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 09-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I bought some swishers the other day at a convenience store I don't normally frequent, and they swiped the ID to verify my age. I didn't like it, and I told them so. They assured me that their system did not record the information.

Perhaps the range uses the swipe to record your name & info as a record of who was on the range, for use in the event of a shooting or damage to the facilities, like an automated sign-in sheet with no allowance for aliases. I seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriously doubt they are running it through NCIS as if they were doing a 4473 for a firearms sale.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

SRK97 Likes This