Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Range Report (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/)
-   -   why does my local range? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/why-does-my-local-range-96587/)

flyinHawaiian 09-05-2013 04:24 AM

why does my local range?

Quick question, is it normal for my local range to swipe my drivers license? I've never had this done before at other ranges. I'm in California so who knows what kind of crazy %*#& they're up to. Just curious if anyone knows about this. Do they have the authority to run my I. D. ?

sbeezy 09-05-2013 04:39 AM

My range scans it and has it in their system. Whether or not they have that authority is a good question, but I do know that I can't shoot there unless I consent to it. I'm assuming they have to do it to make sure there aren't any felons in possession of firearms using their range.

QueenGlamis 09-05-2013 04:42 AM

ooooh Komiefornia -- probably tracking what evil weapons you dare to own. shoot or rent there. j/k, that does sound crazy. Here in the free state of AZ, they just clip your ID to the lane you are assigned to, and ooooh and ahhhh if you bring a pretty awesome weapon to the range.

Tackleberry1 09-05-2013 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenGlamis (Post 1358855)
ooooh Komiefornia -- probably tracking what evil weapons you dare to own. shoot or rent there. j/k, that does sound crazy. Here in the free state of AZ, they just clip your ID to the lane you are assigned to, and ooooh and ahhhh if you bring a pretty awesome weapon to the range.

Wow... AZ sounds about as Commie as Commifornia.

I've never been asked to show ID in Washington State or Oregon to use a range.

Tack

sbeezy 09-05-2013 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tackleberry1

Wow... AZ sounds about as Commie as Commifornia.

I've never been asked to show ID in Washington State or Oregon to use a range.

Tack

What part of Washington? There's only one range Near me and the next closest range is at least two hours away. And even still the liberal cry babies tries to get the only range in town shut down! I think they added the I.d thing after they opened back up but I'm not sure. Maybe as a way to bow to the people who wanted them gone.

flyinHawaiian 09-05-2013 05:05 AM

Sooooo, if they're checking for felons then they're running my dl correct? Just seemed weird because no other range that I've been to has done this. They keep track of enough without tracking WHEN and WHERE I'm shooting! Gotta move.

JW357 09-05-2013 05:40 AM

Hasn't happened to me, been living in Kalifornia for about a year and a half.

Of course, I have an Ohio driver's license. But they never swiped my wife's DL either, and her's is from here.

SeaCapt 09-05-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenGlamis

I live in Az and I've never had them clip my ID to the shooing lane. Was that an indoor range? They used to make me sign a waiver before I got a membership.. Love Az..

utf59 09-05-2013 09:00 PM

There are two ranges near me that do that. One takes your driver's license and a phone number if you're renting the use of a plate rack. There's a padlock on the racks, and having your license and phone number helps them make sure they get the key back.

Another range takes your DL if you aren't a member. If you are a member, they just hold your member ID. In their case, if you use their range, you pay as you leave. So they attach a sales ticket to your ID with a list of stuff you will have to pay for (ammunition, targets, etc.). That way, if you want more ammo, they can add it to your bill, and you just pay once.

Neither of these places runs a check on your ID.

orangello 09-05-2013 09:24 PM

I bought some swishers the other day at a convenience store I don't normally frequent, and they swiped the ID to verify my age. I didn't like it, and I told them so. They assured me that their system did not record the information.

Perhaps the range uses the swipe to record your name & info as a record of who was on the range, for use in the event of a shooting or damage to the facilities, like an automated sign-in sheet with no allowance for aliases. I seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriously doubt they are running it through NCIS as if they were doing a 4473 for a firearms sale.