You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report >

why buy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2016, 01:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default why buy

A younger neighbor purchased a Savage bolt in .338 Lapula. Why? He shot one and thought it was a blast. For a gun nut, it seems like a good answer. His cousin, a nice kid, showed up with a .458 Win. Magnum. Why? It seems he has a dream of hunting brown bears and can see himself "nose to nose" in the alders. All well and good to have a dream, but to decide that much of the picture in advance may lead to disappointment. If he chooses to go with an outfitter who cruises the coastlines, he may be wishing for something a little flatter shooting.
Several local men decided they were going to elk hunt in Colorado. Collectively, they decided they needed .338 Win. Magnums. When they arrived in Colorado, they were very surprised to find themselves hunting in open country with some sage brush canyons. Several, who returned the following year were carrying .300 Win. Magnums. Most of us find purchasing a rifle scope combination is costly and more so if it doesn't "fit" what we are attempting.

Last edited by headhunter; 09-09-2016 at 01:39 PM. Reason: the auto correct "bit me!"
dango Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-09-2016, 02:02 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 14073 Times on 7175 Posts
Likes Given: 13407

It usually only takes one trip out here for most pholks to discover that a .30-06, .308, or .270, with a fixed 4X or a 1.5-6 scope is all they'll ever need.

We can always spot the "flatlanders" because of their 4-14, or even worse 5-25 "wannabe sniper" scopes and Remchester Belchfire magnums.

GOD BLESS PRESIDENT TRUMP
People Like This 
Old 09-09-2016, 02:38 PM   #3
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 10491 Times on 5163 Posts
Likes Given: 40056

A lot of people think I'm nuts for the 45/70 I'd chose ! Yeah the ammo ain't cheap and yeah , not much distance , like lobbing a VW projectile but taking into consideration how thick the brush and forest is around here , that's the one I still choose . I'm not hunting anywhere else but locally so I did put thought into it before I bought it . I'm getting older now and don't feel much like tracking blood trails all day plus , quick kill , more humane ?

Shot placement is the most important true but 325 gr. at 2050 fps etc. , odds be a short day after the shot !
People Like This 
Old 09-09-2016, 03:27 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12515 Times on 6557 Posts
Likes Given: 26458

And what's with these guys driving corvettes? You don't need that much engine!
People Like This 
Old 09-09-2016, 03:55 PM   #5
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 10491 Times on 5163 Posts
Likes Given: 40056

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
Why you think Corvettes have optional luggage racks ? Moose hunting , sheeeez yaul Alabamians don't get it ....? .

Yo Mac Koolness , you take it easy , need people like you up and at it !
Buy me a Vette , l'll get the luggage rack and will DO the hunt thang ...?
People Like This 
Old 09-09-2016, 03:59 PM   #6
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 15858 Times on 6591 Posts
Likes Given: 2581

If the only place you can drive the Corvette is in downtown Chicago, it still may have been a poor choice.

Have a friend that shoots .338 Lapua. Also shoots a Barrett 50 and a .408 Cheytac. At around 1200 meters. If you wanted to HUNT with those- here in VA with rolling hills, lotsa vegetation, and 150 yards is a long shot- maybe not such a great choice.

Last time I was hunting in Wyoming, it was antelope. A .243 with a 4x scope. Did everything I needed, and did not leaves marks on my marvelous body.
People Like This 
Old 09-09-2016, 04:05 PM   #7

Liked 38 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
A really good friend purchased a Viper ACR. In the past he has done really well racing both off-road and road course. It is his "thing". Along with its 600 hP engine the "wing" is fully functional and things like tunnels to cool the front brakes are standard. He bought it and will appreciate it fully and has signed up for the driving school In AZ again.
The point of the original paragraph is "if you're doing it for the love of the gun - great!" But, if you're doing it for the hunt, then you need to consider many aspects. There was once an elderly gentleman who recommended the .338 as the smallest caliber that should be used on elk. That type of thinking, where the caliber is the only thing considered, probably isn't the best way to go. I hope I haven't offended you- my brother loves fast motor cycles, fortunately, neither of us has kissed a cow. Not my "thing"!

People Like This