Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Whoa-Ho-HO! FINALLY Fired My Mossy 500 Tactical (on a range)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2009, 11:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Whoa-Ho-HO! FINALLY Fired My Mossy 500 Tactical (on a range)

It's probably a rare indoor public range that allows shotguns, so I HAD to initiate my beloved 12g Mossy 500 tactical, purchased early last June, while I was in the area of this range (Dominion, Richmond VA) today.
- I had never fired a shotgun before in my life (47 yrs old), can't shoot on my 1/4-acre "property" (the communist HOA and County won't allow it)
- They would ONLY let you fire ammo purchased there, so I limited myself to 10 rounds of #4 buck, since 00 was expensive and I use #4 for HD anyway.
- Didn't do a lot of methodical testing re spread/distance, but...

WOW!

- There was a decent amount of kick, but more "linear" (no torque) than my XD-45, so it wasn't bad at all to me!
- I LOVED the feel and sound! Tho it was maybe louder than my XD, it was a more cannon-like, "WHOOSH-ier" sound.
- Firing with just the pistol grip (& not using the stock) wasn't hard at all (for me, bracing for the kick, admittedly), accuracy suffered v. little
- Fired rapidly SO easily that I imagine firing the Mossy 935 Autoloader or the Benelli M4 must be orgasmic (I am thinking THAT would be detrimental to accuracy!)

CONCLUSION: So I am a shotgun guy for sure! I am simply going to have to move me and whole family to somewhere that I can shoot this thing on my property - public ranges suck. Range fee of $8 plus the $11-something for the 10 shells, plus a cheap target totaled $20 for about 3 minutes of sheer joy.

Sheez, I am STILL giddy 6 hours later!!

- Mossberg 500 12G Tactical: Adjustable stock + pistol grip
- Springfield XD-45ACP, 4" Service Model

Still don't know nuthin', but I'm a-learnin!

Last edited by Succinct; 08-14-2009 at 11:32 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-14-2009, 11:25 PM   #2

The shotgun guys get another one!
Congrats. I love my mossberg.

I never go to a range, but cant shoot my shotgun on my property.

Enjoy it! I sure will.

S.S.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:36 PM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Gee, did you like it?

Shotguns are friggin awesome, in my book. What length shell did you purchase and fire?

Got target pics?

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-15-2009, 02:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Gee, did you like it?

Shotguns are friggin awesome, in my book. What length shell did you purchase and fire?

Got target pics?
Just 2-3/4" length shell. These were see-thru though, which was handy for teaching my girls about how they're made internally (my girls were with me again). Not target pics, and wouldn't share them if I had them b/c the holes were everywhere as I tried different things. Interestingly, most holes were a little up and to the left.

Would love to shoot about 100 rounds, about 10 at each 10-foot distance to see what i'd get. Maybe some other day...

Old 08-15-2009, 05:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Succinct View Post
I use #4 for HD anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Succinct View Post
which was handy for teaching my girls about how they're made internally (my girls were with me again).
You might have already heard this from another source, I just thought it might be worth mentioning. I live in an apartment, so my neighbors are separated from me by a sheet-rock wall. Also, when I was still living at home on and off during college, there were several areas that I definitely didn't want to have unintended penetration.

For the reasons listed above I use bird shot in my "HD" shotgun. It may not be as effective as 00 or #4, but it doesn't penetrate drywall like those big pellets will. I just don't trust myself to always aim just right while half asleep and trying to figure out what the heck is going on. I don't know your particular home configuration, and I am not presuming to tell you how to defend your family. Just thought I would chime in on the merits of #7 1/2. If the first volley doesn't send them packing, it will at the very least slow 'em down enough for me to rack and fire again.

"I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he excites among his opponents." - Winston Churchill

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton

Last edited by Caliche; 08-15-2009 at 05:55 AM.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:51 AM   #6

I say, of course this is being my opinion, if you do choose to use birdshot for HD, I'd say get the biggest birdshot possible. Instead of 7.5 or 8 shot..try a #4 birdshot or even #6. My point is basically..if you wont use the bigger pellets, at least choose the bigger pellets of birdshot. It might just be worth your while. But, that is just my humble opinion. Not telling you how to defend your home, just some friendly advice you can look into.

S.S.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun Shooter View Post
I say, of course this is being my opinion, if you do choose to use birdshot for HD, I'd say get the biggest birdshot possible. Instead of 7.5 or 8 shot..try a #4 birdshot or even #6. My point is basically..if you wont use the bigger pellets, at least choose the bigger pellets of birdshot. It might just be worth your while. But, that is just my humble opinion. Not telling you how to defend your home, just some friendly advice you can look into.

S.S.
Thanks for the advice, and I'll test that the next chance I get. I built a mock section of wall and did a few test runs involving bird shot, watermelons, and that mock sheetrock wall for 7.5 and 8. I will revisit that test with the bigger bird shot when I can. My first concern is stopping the attacker and ensuring the safety of innocents. I have no way of knowing whether or not someone's bed is backed up against the wall next to my door. For the time being, I will stick with what I have tested and feel confident with.

"I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he excites among his opponents." - Winston Churchill

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton

Old 08-15-2009, 06:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliche View Post
Thanks for the advice, and I'll test that the next chance I get. I built a mock section of wall and did a few test runs involving bird shot, watermelons, and that mock sheetrock wall for 7.5 and 8. I will revisit that test with the bigger bird shot when I can. My first concern is stopping the attacker and ensuring the safety of innocents. I have no way of knowing whether or not someone's bed is backed up against the wall next to my door. For the time being, I will stick with what I have tested and feel confident with.
Oh of course. If if you have 7.5 and you practice with it, no reason why you shouldn't use it. Its 2:30am, so I just thought I'd toss some options around, see if it helped at all.

S.S.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:31 PM   #9

I may already have #4 bird at home. The package says "#4" and "shot" and "2-3/4" and that's about it. It's a pack of 25, not 5 or 10, so maybe that means it's bird not buck. How does one tell? If it IS bird, I may switch to buck anyway - I have 'some' distance to my neighbors' homes & i am not in an apartment.

Old 08-15-2009, 03:41 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You have bird shot. I have never seen buckshot in boxes of 25, and buck will say " 00 Buck". Bird shot just has the number.

You might want to re-think firing 100 rounds in one day, unless you want to be sore! I shot skeet two days ago and my shoulder is still black and blue after about 40 rounds! I was only wearing a T-shirt, so it was my own damn fault! Think about getting a skeet vest for target shooting...They help.