What Brand Of Box Store Garage Door Opener Works Best For A Shooting Range?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > What Brand Of Box Store Garage Door Opener Works Best For A Shooting Range?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 962 Times on 632 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Default What Brand Of Box Store Garage Door Opener Works Best For A Shooting Range?

I want to put in a couple shooting lanes in my NRA classroom. Air Soft, 7 yards.

What garage door openers work for lengths of 21 feet or so, that would work for target retrieval?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-03-2014, 11:47 AM   #2

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts

Call sears they carry genie and craftsman. Screw drive and chain drive. They will tel you what horse power you would need

Old 03-14-2014, 08:32 PM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

A garage door opener of 20 foot or more would definitely be at least half horse. For retrieving targets any horse power would work the trick is to find the proper length for your application. You might want to check with your local overhead door repair man they take in alot of old openers and you may be able to find extra rails to extend your length.

Sent from my XT1060 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Last edited by gunpys; 04-02-2014 at 12:01 PM.
BWM243 Likes This 
Old 04-01-2014, 02:16 AM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

A standard garage door opener would not work the limits would time out before 21' could be reached. The most travel you can get out of a residential garage door operator is 12'. Plus anything that is made after 2001 has to have a safety system that only allows for so many seconds of run. You would have to use a commercial operator and a heavy duty one at that to facilitate the 21' of reach. Just adding rail will and chain will not work. Pm me of you have any other questions.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Old 04-02-2014, 02:22 AM   #5

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Gads, for 20 whatever feet, why not use a pulley type Clothesline and do it by hand?
Going further, any Motor with a small pulley will work fwd and reverse by tilting the motor against the upper or lower line. Keep it simple.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:24 AM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1990 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 593

Dont you have quite a few target retrievers/students in your class?

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."