Went to the range today

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Went to the range today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 11:15 PM   #1
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7824 Times on 4697 Posts
Likes Given: 9855

Default Went to the range today

Here's where I went.

I brought my Henry rifle, my Mark II and my Sig P238.

Here's the first target. About 150 rounds out of my Mark II.

The strays were from me putting the target as far out as possible and using the scope. I didn't do so well.

Here's the Mark II.

I am ashamed of my second target. This was shot with the Sig P23. About 60 rounds. I did so poorly. I am posting this to see if anyone can offer any suggestions as to where I am going wrong. I KNOW it's not the gun.

My Sig P238

The last target I shot with my Henry lever. About 60 rounds. That is one SWEET rifle. With subsonics in it, it was very quiet. In fact, the first few rounds I thought it wasn't shooting until I saw the holes in the target. I love this rifle. It's awesome. It's a youth model and it fits me very well. I had the most fun shooting the rifle today.

My Henry.....

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-28-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

If anyone has any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong with my Sig, please give me some guidance.

Oh, yeah, I was able to get a bunch of ammo, too. A little something for every caliber I own. .380 auto, .32 auto, .38 special, .357 magnum, .22 bulk and some .22 subsonic. I'm a happy woman today.

People Like This 
Old 10-28-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22000 Times on 12404 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

what distance are you shooting at with the Sig P238?

the 380 auto is lower powered round compared to others and is designed for up close and personal. add to that, that most 380 pistols are smaller with a very short sight radius, which makes accurate shooting with them, even difficult for experianced shooters.

shooting my 380 at about 15 yards, my targets don't look much better than yours!

Old 10-28-2013, 11:48 PM   #4
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 896 Times on 412 Posts
Likes Given: 419

One of the reasons you're shooting low is anticipating when it going to go off and jerking the trigger at the last moment remember "squeeze" it should surprise you!
The other reason is you need to focus on the front sight and the rear will take care of its self (with a little practice) honest.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

People Like This 
Old 10-29-2013, 12:54 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
what distance are you shooting at with the Sig P238?

the 380 auto is lower powered round compared to others and is designed for up close and personal. add to that, that most 380 pistols are smaller with a very short sight radius, which makes accurate shooting with them, even difficult for experianced shooters.

shooting my 380 at about 15 yards, my targets don't look much better than yours!
The target was out about 7 yards. Maybe 8 yards.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:52 AM   #6
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2400 Times on 1454 Posts
Likes Given: 2518

I think Pasquanel is right. Some of your shots are right where they belong. I bet they were your early shots. Once the recoil of that little pistol started hitting you, you started to anticipate. Small pistols are hard to shoot accurately. Axxe also has a good point about the sight radius. I'd say you actually did pretty well.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

People Like This 
Old 11-04-2013, 05:03 AM   #7

Liked 2407 Times on 1409 Posts
Likes Given: 540

All of the rounds that are hitting low are usually from recoil anticipation. You will tighten your grip which will drive the muzzle down a bit or you will actually tense up and try to compensate for the recoil before it happens. Have someone else load your mag and let them slip a dummy round in at random. You'll see what I'm talking about when the gun goes click and you have it nose diving.

Follow trough is pretty important. You have to let the gun do what it is going to do. The .380 may not seem punishing but it can be a bit snappy in those subcompact pistols.

The other possibility is the color of the frame is distracting you and taking you off target

Old 11-04-2013, 05:28 AM   #8

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Shooting low is often a result of improper follow through. It is the same with shotgun, rifle or handgun. After the guns fires and the trigger pressure drops you must hold your sights on the target. The trigger break and relax causes the muzzle to tip down. Because most new handguns have "Litigation" triggers they tend to be too heavy. The trigger break drops you shoot low.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:23 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3728 Times on 2285 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

I'm certainly not an expert when it comes to these things, but I agree with everything said.

Especially the part about the color of your gun being distracting. :P

Always have clean socks.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
The other possibility is the color of the frame is distracting you and taking you off target
Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
I'm certainly not an expert when it comes to these things, but I agree with everything said.

Especially the part about the color of your gun being distracting. :P
Well, I think that gun is beautiful. If the bright stainless steel of my revolver, the beautiful pink camo of my rifle and the awesome pink Valquertson grips on my Mark II don't distract me, then I think the rusty red color of this handgun isn't distracting me. Admit it, you all are just jealous.

In all seriousness, I think it's the snap of the pistol and very probably the anticipation that is getting me off target.

People Like This