Went to the range today.......

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Went to the range today.......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 05:38 AM   #1
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7195 Times on 4330 Posts
Likes Given: 8774

Default Went to the range today.......

I met my daughter's boyfriend for the first time today.....at the gun range. LOL He enjoys shooting but doesn't own a gun of his own. He goes to the range and rents them. So I offered to let him shoot my guns.

We went to GAT Guns in Dundee, Illinois. I had never been there but it was a very good place to go shooting. Indoor range and HUGE gun store. After we shot, we shopped. I picked up a Lead Away cloth, a silicone cloth and some patches and a jag for the .22 pistol. I looked at an LCR and a Ruger SR1911. He looked at a Bushmaster and a Bullpup. I saw lots of guns you guys talk about but I've never seen, like a Vaquero, a Single Six, guns with extremely long barrels (making my 6" revolver look small), a Ruger Alaskan in .44 (that I soooo wanted along with the LCR and LCP). They had miles and miles of rifles on the walls and dozens of display cases packed with handguns. Here's the link. Gat Guns

We shot for an hour and put about 150 rounds of .38 sp, 100 rounds of .357 magnum through my revolver and about 200 rounds through the .22 pistol. He wasn't a bad shot......but I was better. Though he did improve a lot by the end of the hour. We had a lot of fun.

Then I went home and cleaned my guns. I used the Lead Away cloth on my revolver and it took me a loooong time but I finally got all the carbon rings off the cylinder. She's looking beeauuutiful!! And then I rubbed them with the silicone cloth, sniffed them, loaded them and put them back in the safe next to my bed. *sigh* I think I'm in love.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-07-2012, 07:39 AM   #2

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

I love good day of shooting. A few weeks ago I went to a friends house with my ruger 357mag, 870, sks, and a marlin 22mag bolt action. When I got there he came out with 22 pistol, a old 38 short colt revolver, a 45-70 trapdoor gun, and a lever action marlin 30-30. We got about 10 mins of shooting in and his neighbor came over with a 270, a 9 mm pistol, and a 380 pistol. After 3 hours of swapping guns around and shooting every empty can and old box he had we ran outa ammo. I dont think I've ever had more fun. The only thing that sucked was the 6 inches of snow on the ground. On a side note I dont recommend playing with guns when it's below freezing out. I had to clean the condensation off my guns twice. It really freaked me out.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1158 View Post
a 45-70 trapdoor gun
What the heck is THAT?

Old 02-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #4

It was kinda strange. Not sure if it's from ww1 or ww2 but it's a single shot rifle that has a trapdoor thing on top that you had to open to put in a round. It shot a 45-70govt I just didn't know what else to call it

Old 02-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #5

If you google springfield trapdoor gun you'll get more pics. Hes in to antique guns and such. This was his "newest" toy. He got it at a auction in the fall.

forumrunner_20120207_045010.jpg

Old 02-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Sweet! I'm glad you had fun and i am also glad you outshot her BF.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #7

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

So your daughter's BF lived to tell the tale...was wondering how that might work out... Did you pepper him with spent brass?

That Ruger Alaskan is pretty sweet, I know how you feel, and the lead cloth does wonders on stainless huh!

Nothin' like some quality trigger time, sounds like a good day!! Thanks for sharing...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 02-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Sounds like you guys had a blast! It's always fun to shop for gun stuff, even if it's just cleaning supplies

Old 02-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksiR View Post
Sounds like you guys had a blast! It's always fun to shop for gun stuff, even if it's just cleaning supplies
Yes, it was. There's so much I don't know and to see all the different items makes helps me to learn a few things.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #10

Liked 4824 Times on 2337 Posts
Likes Given: 1503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1158 View Post
It was kinda strange. Not sure if it's from ww1 or ww2 but it's a single shot rifle that has a trapdoor thing on top that you had to open to put in a round. It shot a 45-70govt I just didn't know what else to call it
Much earlier then WWI. The trap door was the first widely used breech loading long arm. The US Military converted civil war muzzled loaders at the Springfield factory to use the new breech loading mechanism in conjunction with the .45/70 Government cartridge.

It was a quantum leap forward in firepower and contributed to a change in Infantry tactics. The carnage of the Civil war was unprecedented due to two main factors. First, both sides were still using Napolionic tactics...IE...columns of opposing forces standing 50 to 75 yards apart and firing volleys into each other and second, the widespread use if the expanding mini ball, the first conical bullet. This round was made smaller than the rifles bore so it could be loaded just az quickly as a smooth bore musket but the bullet had a hollow base so the hot expanding gasses would expand the bullets width forcing it into the rifleing and imparting spin for greater accuracy.

Hit ratios and casualties jumped alarmingly and spelled the end of Napolionic warfare. The trap door was the solution to this problem. It's extremely difficult to load a 4' + muzzle loader unless your standing but a breach loader can be loaded and fired repeatedly from the prone position.

The Trapdoor however was soon eclipsed by repeating long arms such as the Henry Lever Action and subsequently the Springfield 1903 Bolt action, "which is more or less of copy of the famous German Mauser. The Trapdoor was the shortest serving US Infantry long arm because its technology was so quickly overtaken by repeaters. The most historically example of this would be the Battle of Little Big Horn where Custers 7th Cavalry was wiped out to the last man by a confederation of Sioux Indian tribes armed with Henry/Winchester lever actions.

Tack