Video: Youngest working with new guns - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Video: Youngest working with new guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 04:41 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thank you both for the input. I appreciate it greatly.
Im sure I do have to "man up" to this, its just difficult because he is my first child and im still new to the game, that protective side of me has some difficulty opening up a bit still.
Ive had to learn about firearms on my own and, I really had no idea how to even begin teaching him except for the fact that guns do kill and they are not toys. Luckily the one way I did not have to worry abut him learning was the "Stallone & co" way with tv. we are always active outdoors with camping, hiking and such. He doesn't watch tv often but somewhere along the line he learned to use the "ratings" and I always see him checking to see if the program is PG, G,PG13 and so on. He refuses to watch anything not in his rating. Lol. Hes a bright kid but sometimes loses focus easily and that is what makes me nervous. I guess that is my fear with this. I guess I dont want to see him improperly handling something and myself "freak out" and scare him. I also dont really have anyone locally that can give me the guidance to teach him. Your information has been helpful and i will take it all into thought but I will also do some more research and planning before taking that step.

I do like the idea of having him clean the rifle as a start, letting him get a feel I guess you can say. Should I remove the bolt just a precaution or allow him to see the rifle in its entirety?

Once again..thanks for the input.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:46 AM   #12

Liked 78 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Well, as Dad, you're the one that will best know this, but decide if it is time to give the young man a gun of his own.
Just make sure you don't hide them, (that doesn't, obviously, mean don't lock them up), but rather than teaching them as something that is to be feared, they are tools, and something that is to be respected and not played with.
I wish you and your son great luck and many great times! Please keep us informed of his journey into the world if firearms.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:53 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ben I will gladly keep everyone updated. FMJ I apologize for hijacking your thread. I just figured this would be the place where all of the other fathers and yourself would have great advice to help me out.

Its funny that for thousands of years father Have taught their sons to use many forms of weapons for survival and recreation alike. Yet somehow when its my turn, I grow a vagina. Lol

Old 10-03-2011, 04:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanNinja View Post
Thank you both for the input. I appreciate it greatly.
Im sure I do have to "man up" to this, its just difficult because he is my first child and im still new to the game, that protective side of me has some difficulty opening up a bit still.
Ive had to learn about firearms on my own and, I really had no idea how to even begin teaching him except for the fact that guns do kill and they are not toys. Luckily the one way I did not have to worry abut him learning was the "Stallone & co" way with tv. we are always active outdoors with camping, hiking and such. He doesn't watch tv often but somewhere along the line he learned to use the "ratings" and I always see him checking to see if the program is PG, G,PG13 and so on. He refuses to watch anything not in his rating. Lol. Hes a bright kid but sometimes loses focus easily and that is what makes me nervous. I guess that is my fear with this. I guess I dont want to see him improperly handling something and myself "freak out" and scare him. I also dont really have anyone locally that can give me the guidance to teach him. Your information has been helpful and i will take it all into thought but I will also do some more research and planning before taking that step.

I do like the idea of having him clean the rifle as a start, letting him get a feel I guess you can say. Should I remove the bolt just a precaution or allow him to see the rifle in its entirety?

Once again..thanks for the input.
If you want him to learn to respect it, do not transfer your fears to him. He's smart, you said so yourself. Never freak. Stay close, but not so close as to smother him.
And let him clean the gun with the bolt. Teach him how to handle it as if it were whole, and always instill the 'always loaded' mind in him.
Plus, that will help you relax more, with him operating with an unloaded weapon.
Just relax. You've learned how to handle a firearm. Hell, if you're nervous, sign him up for a local 'introduction class', and go with him, and make it bonding time for dad and son.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:04 PM   #15
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Ben I will gladly keep everyone updated. FMJ I apologize for hijacking your thread. I just figured this would be the place where all of the other fathers and yourself would have great advice to help me out
LOL! i dont think it s hijack at all. I also think that if you want/need help this IS the place to ask.

Kids are sponges man. They soak up stuff too easily at times. Go to the local gun shop, or print off from the internet the 10 commandments of firearms safety and drill them into his head. Find a few good clips from youtube showing the exploding water mellon and such. You guys go camping? PERFECT time to do some range work...thats when my eldest son got most of his training. We would go camping, canoe and shoot.

But again, just do it. Dont be a vag, an over protective girly man. You live in America, where guns are a part of life. Eventually he is going to encounter firearms, with or without you around. Teach him, prepare him how to act appropriately when he does come in contact. Teach him to open a bolt, pump action, lever action, cylinder, slide, drop the magazine etc and to check the chamber visually. Its something i have drilled into my kids and the other kids i have worked with. "NO gun is safe until YOU have PERSONALLY checked the chamber to make sure it is empty and even then no gun is safe unless that action is OPEN." it goes with with "Treat every gun as if it were loaded."

Its not difficult....just get started and feel your way thru. Its a learning process for both of you. If you need help, we're here for you. I take teaching our next generation very seriously. If we dont, who will? A bleeding heart, mamby pamby, pants wetting liberal?? Them treaching "when you see a gun go hide, find some else to save you?" Thats an even more scarey thought than ANY scenario i can think of happening on the range!

Take your time. Make it fun for BOTH of you. You'll both learn together and make memories that he will carry for a lifetime and be telling his kids when your gone. When you're old and gray (like me) you'll look back on the pics and "remember when". I wished i had more pics and video of the times i took the eldest and his buiddies....but we were even more dirt poor back then.

As far as locking up your guns....well essentially thats your call. But I personally dont lock my guns away from my kids. I lock them in the safe away from those that would break into the house and steal. (many will take issue with this last part) All my kids have been trained to the safe use of the guns and I have loaded guns in certain places through out the house. Should a goblin decide to break in while i am not here they will have a rude awakening awaiting them. The wife shoots better than i do...and EVERYONE in this house shoots the 1911 and well! There is going to be serious dessension in the ranks over that gun when i die! As far as other kids coming into the house, well we dont have a lot of other kids running in and out...and those that do have been to the range and thru my safety course.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 10-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #16

You have two comments I'd like to address, if you don't mind (and I agree with your post.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
Its not difficult....just get started and feel your way thru. Its a learning process for both of you. If you need help, we're here for you. I take teaching our next generation very seriously. If we dont, who will? A bleeding heart, mamby pamby, pants wetting liberal?? Them treaching "when you see a gun go hide, find some else to save you?" Thats an even more scarey thought than ANY scenario i can think of happening on the range!
Worse case scenario is Junior grows up to BE one of those pants wetting sissy boys who see a gun and call 911 because they think they're all evil and only made to kill people.
Ignorance is a deadly weapon. Combat it with knowledge, and your son will not grow up to support the Brady Bill and their ilk, but will fight for his rights, and his son's rights, to own firearms.
Otherwise, we face the opportunity to have our family heirloom weapons melted down to make medals for knobslobbering retards who confuse cosmetics "OMG An AZZAULT WEEPOON!!!" and a real threat "What's that gentleman doing with that old Tommy gun?"

Quote:

As far as locking up your guns....well essentially thats your call. But I personally dont lock my guns away from my kids. I lock them in the safe away from those that would break into the house and steal. (many will take issue with this last part) All my kids have been trained to the safe use of the guns and I have loaded guns in certain places through out the house. Should a goblin decide to break in while i am not here they will have a rude awakening awaiting them. The wife shoots better than i do...and EVERYONE in this house shoots the 1911 and well! There is going to be serious dessension in the ranks over that gun when i die! As far as other kids coming into the house, well we dont have a lot of other kids running in and out...and those that do have been to the range and thru my safety course.
My guns have never been in a cage while I'm home. Kids were raised, much like yours, to the point they didn't pay any attention to them, and they were pretty adamant that no one else messed with them.
I really added that more to help UrbanNinja feel a little more comfortable. When he relaxes and realizes his son isn't going to treat them like a squirt gun, he may actually relax some more.
He's got an opportunity of a lifetime. I am envious of the chance to start that journey yet again, but at my age I am NOT interested in any more children.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:15 PM   #17
fmj

Quote:
You have two comments I'd like to address, if you don't mind (and I agree with your post.)
HELL NO i dont mind! I certainly dont have the market cornered here. Any and all opinions are welcome. Hell, i might even learn something i can use.

Quote:
Ignorance is a deadly weapon. Combat it with knowledge,
Ignorance is the deadliest of weapons and the ONLY cure is knowledge!!

Quote:
My guns have never been in a cage while I'm home. Kids were raised, much like yours, to the point they didn't pay any attention to them, and they were pretty adamant that no one else messed with them.
"Desensitization"...Kids are curious critters, if you hide them, they become curious and feel the need to explore. curiosity killed the cat so to speak. Leave them out and allow them time to become used to and use them you take away that curiosity.

Quote:
I am envious of the chance to start that journey yet again, but at my age I am NOT interested in any more children.
AMEN to that!! I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!! I am ready for G-Babies and the whole "Spoil 'em rotten and send them home" thing. Plus, the added bonus of the joy of watching my G-babies drive my kids as nuts as they drove me and enjoying the "parents revenge" thing.

Last edited by fmj; 10-03-2011 at 01:21 PM.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:19 PM   #18

Quote:
HELL NO i dont mind! I certainly dont have the market cornered here. Any and all opinions are welcome. Hell, i might even learn something i can use.

Ignorance is the deadliest of weapons and the ONLY cure is knowledge!!

AMEN to that!! I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!! I am ready for G-Babies and the whole "Spoil 'em rotten and send them home" thing. Plus, the added bonus of the joy of watching my G-babies drive my kids as nuts as they drove me and enjoying the "parents revenge" thing.
I've already crossed the grandpa bridge. Sadly, my oldest made damn sure he burned every bridge with his exes, thus, we don't get to see our grandkids.
YET. We are constantly offering to take them. (She is adamantly anti-gun. Causes us problems.)

Old 10-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #19
fmj

Quote:
YET. We are constantly offering to take them. (She is adamantly anti-gun. Causes us problems.)
AHHH a new challenge worthy of your talents!! One of my greatest joys is the breaking down of and teaching the anti-gunners.

The hardest part is getting thru all the BS dogma that has been drilled into them. i.e. "Only thing guns are good for is killing" etc. Be patient, deal with and be prepared for the screaming and crying. Its part of the learning curve. When you kick the basis, the pedestal, of ones entire existence out from under them with basic irrefutable fact it is to be expected.

I have no less then 6 success stories (broken anti gun liberals) to my credit! Its difficult, but can be done. The facts and figures are on our side. With time and proper application of common sense and proper thought process this can be achieved.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #20

Quote:
AHHH a new challenge worthy of your talents!! One of my greatest joys is the breaking down of and teaching the anti-gunners.

The hardest part is getting thru all the BS dogma that has been drilled into them. i.e. "Only thing guns are good for is killing" etc. Be patient, deal with and be prepared for the screaming and crying. Its part of the learning curve. When you kick the basis, the pedestal, of ones entire existence out from under them with basic irrefutable fact it is to be expected.

I have no less then 6 success stories (broken anti gun liberals) to my credit! Its difficult, but can be done. The facts and figures are on our side. With time and proper application of common sense and proper thought process this can be achieved.
I am quite comfortable dealing with the Anti-gunner crowd. She, however, is absolutely immune to common sense. It's almost a super power.
I did make the mistake of telling her once if they ever made ignorance a misdemeanor she was going to get a life sentence.