The utf59/canebrake re-match
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > The utf59/canebrake re-match

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 02:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default The utf59/canebrake re-match

NOTE: To all you members that have been putting off coming down to Ft. Lauderdale and going shooting with me because my favorite range’s AC has been less-than-sterling, it’s been fixed! Only took Eileen three years but its cool again! This makes summer shooting indoors in South Florida tolerable. Now if she can just get that roof leak fixed.

And for you doubters out there, I have a witness. utf59 made his way down to reff a week’s worth of Taekwondo matches and I managed to snag him for one evening of paper-punching.

We had a blast and I’ll let him divulge the arsenal he brought with him.

You know ‘ole canebrake dusted off some firepower and went shooting with a bag full of fun.

1. Smith M19 .357 Rem Mag
  2. New Model Blackhawk .30 Carbine
  3. Mauser 1914 .32 ACP
  4. GSG 1911 .22lr
  5. Star Model B in 9 mike mike
  6. Remington R1 .45 ACP
  7. Colt Commander Lightweight Model .45 ACP

1. utf59 caught me shooting the Smith M19 on his phonecam;

2. And the Ruger; (It doesn't like Eastern Block steel case ammo!)

3. The Mauser 1914 was dad's WWII bring-back that I don't shoot often enough. It's quite the pocket pistol.

4. This was the second time utf59 shot the GSG 1911-22. I had made some changes to the gun. I removed the magazine safety which brings the gun closer the the 1911 pattern. The one weak spot of the GSG is its cast guide rod. I replaced it with a machined steel rod from CWA and can say it's worth every penny of the $22 price tag.

CW Accessories

5. The Star Model B is just a fun gun to shoot. 9mm makes it a cheap range lizard. Fun and inexpensive, what's not to like? The Star's only down-side is parts availability.

6. I really enjoy my Remington R1 GI. I replaced the short trigger with a long version. Much better for me! I think it could use a canebrake trigger job in the near future.

7. My EDC, a Commander Lightweight Model. This is my favorite Colt!

More shooting fun:

Holes, holes and more holes.

utf59 and I have become good friends and are planning our next meet n shoot.

If any of you mooks get down this far south, PM me so you can testify to the efficacy of Revere Range's AC unit!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-16-2012, 02:56 AM   #2
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7638 Times on 4590 Posts
Likes Given: 9532

*sigh*

Great shooting. I am so completely envious. I am dying to get down there and shoot with Cane and prove myself. But I demand excellent air conditioning.

I have never heard of a Star Model B in 9 mike mike. Very nice display of guns there.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:04 AM   #3

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 490

Excellent post Cane...looks like lots of good ole Southern fun.

Question on the CW guide rod. Did you also replace the barrel bushing and guide rod cap. That is supposed to eliminate the allen screw from the barrel/slide assembly and address the sloppy barrel fit. Interested in your thoughts since I am contemplating a similar mod to my Sig 1911-22 which is essentially the GSG.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-16-2012, 03:25 AM   #4

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Excellent post Cane...looks like lots of good ole Southern fun.

Question on the CW guide rod. Did you also replace the barrel bushing and guide rod cap. That is supposed to eliminate the allen screw from the barrel/slide assembly and address the sloppy barrel fit. Interested in your thoughts since I am contemplating a similar mod to my Sig 1911-22 which is essentially the GSG.
I thought about it but my GSG is shooting dead-on. I have a Colt Umarex Gold Cup on order so I'm holding off putting more money into the GSG while it's running well.

Let us know if you get the bushing/plug kit. At $50 I think I can deal with the barrel screw. My thinking may change if the GSG starts to wear.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I'll post a complete reply when I can post some pictures. Because a range report without pictures is fiction.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs