Are u a good shot? Show ur targets & videos. - Page 33
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Are u a good shot? Show ur targets & videos.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2013, 02:20 AM   #321
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2044 Times on 1242 Posts
Likes Given: 2220

Been working on the harder shooting conditions, like weak hand only. Getting better, not great, but better. All targets at 10 yards.

First is weak hand only, slow fire at 10 yards. IDPA only allows 7 yards for weak hand only, but local range requires targets to be at 10 yards. Except for one jerked round, all pretty good, mostly combat accurate.

Second is 2 hands from weak side. Two bad shots for 1st two rounds, but the rest were pretty good. Need to work on that. I shoot this way for the left side of the barricade at IDPA Classifier (20 yard shots!)

Third is normal, fired about 1 per second. A couple low, but not bad for me.

Fourth is slow fire. I'd love to be able to get tighter groups, but this is actual improvement for me.

Let's not talk about those white stickers on the last photo. Strong hand only SUCKED this week!

img_20130528_152325_495-1-.jpg   img_20130528_152729_475-1-.jpg   img_20130528_153035_037-1-.jpg   img_20130528_153458_315-1-.jpg  

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-31-2013, 04:31 AM   #322

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

who says that when you need to fire, you will have all day in which to do it, hmm? show me what you can do from realistic ccw carry, 1.5 second on the electronic shooting timer. you are most unlikely to have the gun in hand when it's needed, and most unlikely to have it unless you ccw it, too. Sometimes, you have less than 1/2 second before luck is the main determinant of the outcome, not your "skill". slowfire precision is kid stuff, anyone can learn to do it in a very few hours and a few hundred rds of ammo, if they are taught properly.

A highly trained man, in 1.5 second, can draw from ccw and hit the chest at 25 yds. Or, at 5 yds, draw and hit the chest 3x, or draw and hit 2 separate men, once each. That is the sort of skill with a handgun that might matter, guys. Slowfire groups will not.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:43 AM   #323
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttsl View Post
who says that when you need to fire, you will have all day in which to do it, hmm? show me what you can do from realistic ccw carry, 1.5 second on the electronic shooting timer. you are most unlikely to have the gun in hand when it's needed, and most unlikely to have it unless you ccw it, too. Sometimes, you have less than 1/2 second before luck is the main determinant of the outcome, not your "skill". slowfire precision is kid stuff, anyone can learn to do it in a very few hours and a few hundred rds of ammo, if they are taught properly.

A highly trained man, in 1.5 second, can draw from ccw and hit the chest at 25 yds. Or, at 5 yds, draw and hit the chest 3x, or draw and hit 2 separate men, once each. That is the sort of skill with a handgun that might matter, guys. Slowfire groups will not.
partner lighten up! people just want to post pictures of their targets and show off a little. you seem to be taking this thread too serious.

take a deep breath and a Valium! you'll feel better!
Old 05-31-2013, 04:59 AM   #324
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1089 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post

partner lighten up! people just want to post pictures of their targets and show off a little. you seem to be taking this thread too serious.

take a deep breath and a Valium! you'll feel better!
Amen. How many people Glock leg themselves each year trying to speed shoot from a holster? The numbers are alarming.

You have an 8 times larger chance having a confrontation with Barney Fife over a burned out taillight than coming face to face with a burglar. Better to practice ten and two on the wheel with your windows down, as that is most likely the skills needed to get along in today's society.

It is good to practice, with all priority going to safety first, safety always. Have fun, and through good management of threat awareness, hopefully you will never need to pull a gun on anyone.

Last edited by AR10; 05-31-2013 at 05:03 AM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-31-2013, 11:26 AM   #325

Quote:

All true. But you have to start some where. Not allowed to draw fire or rapid fire at the range I go to. Becoming "a highly trained man" requires training. Some of that involves the basics, like trigger press, sight picture, etc.

I also shoot IDPA (CDP & ESP Marksman, slowest category.) The advice I've been given there is to concentrate mostly on accuracy. The speed will come along on its own.

At present my typical time to first hit is 2.5 to 3.0 sec. Got a lot of learning to do. That's why I come here, to learn.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-31-2013, 06:59 PM   #326

I was superfast on the draw, as a kid, before I ever had any live ammo. Dryfire suffices, and today, Airsoft makes it easy. I've held men at gunpoint 4x in my life, wished desperately that I had a gun several more times, ran off some dogs with one several times, and once, had to shoot one. Other times, had I not been 6 ft and 180 lbs of very fit man, I''d have needed a gun.

At age 14, i was first told of the old west test of draw speed. I had a single action Hawes CO2 SA "revolver". and a "cowboy" type rig, tied down. I put the coin on the back of my hand, as described, held it out at waist height, dropped the coin as i drew, thumbcocked and "clicked" the BB gun. the coin was still about knee high when I did so. That was in 1966. :-) My 24 year old brother, who had told me of this test, said "Jesus'. 35 years ago, I had worked on this until I could drop the coin, pull a 1911, cocked and locked, from an Iwb rig, worn in front of the hip, disengage the safety, and get to a good Weaver before the coin hit the deck. In a couple more years, I had worked on the draw until I could drop the coin with my weak hand, use that same hand to "clear" the shirttail, draw the lw Commander from the IWB rig, and drysnap it before the coin hit the deck. Not always, but usually. This test is about .55 second, and does not include reaction time, nor of course, hitting anything.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:03 PM   #327

speed does not come on its own, but trying to force it much, too early, can defnitely cause you serious problems! had I had live ammo as a kid, I'd probably have shot my leg several times. the realistic answer to ccw speed of draw is to use a front pants pocket holster, and any time you think you might just possibly be at risk, get your hand on that gun butt. That littlle tip right there will shave about 1 full second off of your ccw draw. :-) Take a hard look at the Diamondback DB9. at 5.5"x4" and 11 ozs, it's far more pocketable than an airweight .38 snub ever was, hits harder, and holds 40% more rds.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:05 PM   #328

as to the slowfire stuff. Consider this. If you have all DAY in which to fire, why not just walk up and stick the muzzle in his ear? Saves ammo and puts him out of his misery much more surely.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:13 PM   #329
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

the reincarnation of Shoobee!

Old 05-31-2013, 11:27 PM   #330

Quote:
as to the slowfire stuff. Consider this. If you have all DAY in which to fire, why not just walk up and stick the muzzle in his ear? Saves ammo and puts him out of his misery much more surely.
Never said the slow fire stuff was intended to simulate a self defense scenario. Slow fire can help diagnose problems with fundamentals like not pulling the trigger straight back or losing the sight picture at the moment the trigger breaks.

I'm a fairly new shooter and still working on the fundamentals. I'm glad that you are able to draw from cc in less than 1.5 sec. Someday I may be trained enough to break 2 sec and I'll be pretty proud of that achievement.

Until then, the one thing I won't be doing is telling people that what they are doing is useless and inadequate.

Balota

People Like This