TWo FTFers go shooting together...........
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > TWo FTFers go shooting together...........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2011, 04:28 PM   #1
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7791 Times on 4678 Posts
Likes Given: 9789

Default TWo FTFers go shooting together...........

I drove up to Wisconsin yesterday to go shooting with JonM. He gave me a heck of a deal on a Mark II and he was going to show me how to take it down to clean it and I wanted to check out the outdoor range he shoots at. It was a very pleasant, scenic 1.5 hour drive. It was thunderstorming here when I left and I contacted Jon and he said he was going anyway so I figured if he could shoot in the rain, I could, too. By the time I got to the range it was sunny.............and HOT!!!!

This is JonM.

Let me say a public thank you to JonM. He sold me a perfect Mark II for a very low price. I didn't know it at first but my PM inbox filled with messages urging me to take Jon up on the deal he was offering me. I was resigned to the fact I would have to buy a Mark III because of lack of availability of Mark IIs, but Jon made my wish come true. And it's even stainless steel, which is what I prefer,

My public thank you even continues because Jon told me when I get to the range to find him before checking in at the clubhouse. I thought it was because I needed to be with a member but it turns out the range is a public range (no membership needed) and Jon wanted to pay for my day's worth of shooting. Let me say Jon is a very kind man and I'm feeling pretty spoiled right about now.

Here is a link to the Sports Center. I loved the place, all outdoor ranges, steel targets, paper targets, several different distances (up to 300 yds) and very friendly and helpful Range Masters at each range. I think I will be making the drive up there pretty regularly. This is exactly what I've been looking for and haven't been able to find near me.

McMiller Sports Center Official Website

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-24-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Where's the shooting part of the report? How did you do with the Mark II?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-24-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Okay, we started at the .22 range and chose a distance of 25 yds. I pulled out my new, as yet unnamed, baby (my Mark II) and put about 400 rounds through her. I got to shoot Jon's Mark III that had a suppressor. I got to shoot the pink rifle ( I forget what it was, Jon will have to fill in the details I forgot). I got a kick out of hearing the 'plink' and watching the metal targets spin. But I do see that I have a lot of practice. I didn't hear plinking or see spinning as often as I'd like. But let me tell you, I DO love my new Mark II. She is a sweet gun to shoot.

Please excuse the pictures as I forgot my camera and all pictures posted here are from my cell phone. This is the .22 range.

I am learning every time I go shooting but the one thing I was surprised about was a rifle sounds different when it shoots than a pistol does. I didn't know that. I asked Jon why "that gun" sounds different than our guns and his simple reply was "Because it's a rifle". Please remember I knew nothing about guns until about a year and a half ago. I'm like a toddler when it comes to gun knowledge.

Here's the pink .22, Jon let me shoot it but every rifle I've ever shot does not fit me. I am pretty short and the stocks are all too long for me to get close enough to the scope to have any chance at any sort of accuracy. But let me say, this is a BEAUTIFUL rifle.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 07-25-2011 at 03:45 AM.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:40 PM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Soounds like a great time WOC! Have fun with that MK II!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Then we moved on to the range where you can shoot .38 and .357. Time to get Maggie, my GP100 out of the range bag and let her have a little fun. Jon set a target up at 15 yards and we went to town on it.

Jon shooting Maggie. He liked her.

Then I got to shoot his beautiful Colt Python. The finish on that gun was like nothing I had ever seen before and it was very flashy, indeed. I prefer stainless steel guns but this Python's finish is a kind of bluing I wouldn't mind having. Jon will have to fill in this detail.

Here's our target there. My 'gopher' is on the right, Jon's was on the left. I thought I did better than I did until I looked at the target. Not as good as I thought. I'm off to the left a lot. I shot both .38's and .357 magnums.

I also got to shoot Jon's Bersa Thunder. It was a very nice gun to shoot, indeed.

Let me mention here Jon came to the range with a LOT of guns.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:46 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Cool beans.

There are youth model shotguns and rifles that have shorter stocks. You can also cut a stock down in length. Don't let the length of a stock discourage you. "LOP" (length of pull) is the distance to the trigger from the end of the stock. (where it fits into your shoulder to the trigger) A long gun can be adjusted or accommodated for you as well. I shortened the stock on my Eddystone. Nothing to it.

When you're ready for a long gun, let us know and we'll help you out.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

By now we were sweating bullets (pun intended) and we went in to the clubhouse so Jon could show me how to take down my Mark II and we needed to cool off and get some water and Gatorade into us. Jon let me buy his Gatorade. Hardly any sort of payment for all he's done for me.

So we sat at a table and we took the Mark II apart and put it back together a couple times. I still need some practice but I am confident I could do it. Maybe just not very quickly. I find it amazing I could take a gun apart and put it back together and there are no spare parts and it will still shoot. That's a joke!!!

Then we went back out to the 300 yd. range. By this time I was kind of tired. We had been shooting for about 4.5 hours and I was content to sit back and watch. As always, I learned a lot just watching at the 300 yd. range.

Here's Jon's AR-15 he was shooting at the 200 yd. mark. He was sighting it in. He was also shooting this thing with no scope. I was impressed.

Here's Jon in action.

Here's the target after Jon finally brought it in. There's a range master in a golf cart that drives these guys out to get their targets.

Again, I was quite impressed with Jon's shooting.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:54 PM   #8

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

sounds like you had fun and I am glad you enjoyed it.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:56 PM   #9

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Looks like a good time was had by all!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-24-2011, 04:58 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Here's the things I learned at the 300 yard range. There is a lot of thinking, aiming, planning, looking through the spotting scopes at targets. The gun fire was much less than at the other ranges where everyone is shooting. It was really pretty quiet at the 300 yard range. One guy had his own spotting scope and a 'contraption' Jon explained was a device that tells the shooter how fast his bullet is going out of his gun. The guy shot through these 'wires' and it displays the speed of the bullet. I tried to Google to get a picture of it but I don't really know what it was called. I bet most of you know what I mean, anyway.

The guy with all these aids to help him be very accurate said he shot an elk last year and he'd love to get another this year. I told him I knew someone who shot an elk (our very own StalkingBear) and I got to enjoy the elk burgers and they were delicious. I wished him luck.

I also learned Jon knows just about everyone at the range and they all know him. Jon goes to the range every Saturday and stays until they close. All day long I heard "Hi, Jon" "Hey, Jon, come look at this", etc. I got a lot of condolences for living in Illinois and every one welcomed me warmly. Before I headed out from home, I called the range twice trying to get my GPS to accept their address. There was a lady who helped me twice. When I got to the range I told her I was the woman from Illinois who kept calling. She told me she was glad I made it up and gave me a brief run down of where the bathroom is and other pertinent info on where to cool off and what they had to offer in the way of food and drink. She was very welcoming and friendly.

It was a wonderful day and I look forward to driving up there again some Saturday and spending the day shooting and learning from Jon.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 07-24-2011 at 05:17 PM.