Tough day at the range
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Tough day at the range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 03:59 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 869 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 191

Default Tough day at the range

Wife's newly repaired XDs is having fail to feed issues... and if I hear limp wrist one more time, I'm going to scream I can duplicate the issue on the bench.

I'm just starting to do my own reloads, and have not had time to do the range justice.

So, I gather up some ammo, wife's XDm (I'm carrying mine, didn't feel like unloading carry ammo), her XDs, a bunch of my new reloaded ammo, some purchased self defense ammo, and some older commercially reloaded ammo, and go pick up my Father in Law.

Plans for a good afternoon...

My favorite range is SLAMMED with CPL classes all hitting the range at the same time. I'm a regular, so they try to fit me in, amongst all the students.

So, I set my father in law up to shoot first. Send the target out to 21' and watch him even struggle to get his shield loaded. It was crazy watching him with his finger on the trigger, mostly pointed down range, while struggling to pull the slide. Finally gets it, shoots of one round, barely hits the target and then cycles the slide ejecting a good round. I watch this a couple of times and wonder what the heck he's doing... never did get a good answer out of him. Several times I had to intervene to correct either safety issues or help clear his firearm. This is going to require additional follow-up.

My wife's XDM which eats ammo like a fat kid eating cake at a birthday party, is suddenly failing to fire with commercial reload ammo that has never ever failed me before... WTF, the XDs is my problem child, not the XDM.

I feed the XDs commercial reload into my "repaired" magazine, and first round, fails to feed... this is turning into one of those days Luckily, it was the only round that failed to feed on the repaired mag, and I did duplicate the issue on the non repaired mag, so I'm on the right track. Also ran one mag of my reload through, no prob, and ran two mag of self defense ammo, no prob.

Let FIL have another go at it, knowing I can not take my eyes off of him. When he had the firearm point almost straight up, finger in the trigger guard, yanking on the slide... I got the firearm loaded for him let him empty it into the target and suggested our time was almost done and I needed to finish my testing. He wanted to load his firearm and carry it, I kept it unloaded and put it into my carry case.

So then on to my experiment, 5 rnds each, commercial reload, SD, and my reloads run through the XDM. My reloads were the least accurate and the most likely to be low/left, indicative of trigger issue, but the SD ammo was the most accurate. Guess I have some more work to do And one of my reload ammo failed to fire, but recycled into the gun it fired 2nd time through???!!!

Nobody got hurt, my ammo still goes bang, I'll clean a couple of firearms tomorrow.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-09-2014, 01:29 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Geeze. Sorry you had a rough time. Is your FIL a little older? It doesn't really matter, just curious.

I suggest sitting down with him with an unloaded gun, with ammo nowhere nearby, and showing him how to easily manipulate his firearm. At the same time a refresher on safety should be in order.

Good luck with getting your firearms fixed. Or maybe it was the ammo? Either way, good luck.

Always have clean socks.

Old 03-09-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7090 Times on 4267 Posts
Likes Given: 8598

I certainly understand the frustration of an elderly parent/in law. I love my Father but it gets more and more difficult to deal with him. It's hell watching him get old. He says inappropriate things out loud thinking he's being funny. He doesn't always understand instructions from his doctors. He answers questions the way he thinks the person asking WANTS him to answer. It's crazy frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
if I hear limp wrist one more time, I'm going to scream
limp wrist

Old 03-09-2014, 03:08 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Been a couple of tough years, two years ago and the hell my mom put us through. Last year it was FIL and MIL. He still hasn't fully recovered and likely never will.

Wife took her mom to the mall yesterday, and at 2:00 discovers she hadn't eaten at all as she starts to have a dizzy spell... She quickly got some food into her. We went out to dinner and I literally pulled the van over the handicap ramp, as she struggles to get into the van. She worked herself into a full fledged panic attack over not being able to get into the van, all in about 90 seconds. It was one of the craziest things I've ever seen, it spiraled that fast. Had my wife move her away from the van, backed up 10 feet and she was able to get in. Because of the way I originally put the van, it gained her about a 3" advantage.

Back to the FIL and shooting. I have all but one of his firearms in my safe. I think we will need to make some additional range trips and relearn firearm safety and even operation of that one pistol. But, I can't go with my own agenda, he needs to be monitored.

Like with my mom, it's tough watching them in the diminishing twilight.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:44 PM   #5
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

I am mentally exhausted after dealing with my Dad through a doctor visit.

He's like an 84 year old toddler. I love him and it is hard to cope with him getting so frail.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:02 PM   #6

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 38

My 83 year old father needed back surgery a couple of years back and thankfully recorded the doctor visits and sent the recordings to me. It let me know what the doc REALLY said and there were a couple of times when he got the instructions wrong, so we were able to convince his hard head through evidence.

I highly recommend the technique.

Good luck with your FIL, partdeux. I hope that's not thread hijacking!

Old 03-09-2014, 07:55 PM   #7
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

I accompany my Dad to every one of his doctor appointments.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:00 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

We, and especially my wife, got really wore out over his health issues. I believe the stress is one of the contributors to my own health issue... but I digress.

We need to deal with the situation, but for now taking the ostrich approach.

He really enjoys going out and shooting, and I will continue to take him, but it will no longer involve my shooting, but full time monitoring.