Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Took the twins out for some testing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2010, 09:37 PM   #1
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 998 Times on 571 Posts
Likes Given: 459

Default Took the twins out for some testing.

I went to the range today to meet a friend and do some bullet/primer testing.

I have been having some copper fouling issues with my new 25/06,no problem except I have to clean the crap out of the barrel every few shots which is becoming a PIA.I spend more time cleaning than shooting.I have handlapped the barrel some,and it is finally starting to take shape.

I also recently purchased it's twin in 308,and the barrel on it is no where near as rough as the 25/06.I guess Savage needs to get a new reamer for the 25/06 caliber,the one they used in my barrel is in need of some help.

I shot the 25/06 first,I have a couple loads that I have gotten excellent results with. I also started shooting 1 rd and clean the barrel for the first 5 rds,then shoot a group of 5. It has helped the barrel breakin process with this gun. I don't try to group the cleaning shots as you can see,but the groups are really coming together after a couple hundred rounds down the pipe.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-27-2010, 09:52 PM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

This one freaked me out when I shot it,the 4th and 5th shot went through the top left bullet hole and the bottom one.Looking through the scope I couldn't tell,and I knew I was right on target with the crosshairs.

I also thought I'd see what kind of difference I would get shooting the exact same load with different primers. I probably should've cleaned the barrel between each set,but I'm really getting tired of cleaning this damn gun.
There was some major differences in the primers,and also in the POI of the bullets.The top row is a 100gr BTSP,the bottom a 100gr Ballistic tip.

I really didn't try too hard on the 308.All the time I spent cleaning and shooting the 25/06 kinda wore me out,so I just shot 10rd groups and didn't spend much time between shots.
I do know I have a new hunting round with the Hornady 165gr SST's,These babies shoot great out of this gun.

All in all,it was a great day at the range. My buddy Ryan and I had plenty of fun shooting,talking,and watching other shooters there.

THB

Old 05-27-2010, 10:05 PM   #3

Liked 47 Times on 28 Posts

Great shootin' CAR. Great report! See ya soon probably.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:14 PM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks Lon. The more I look through these Sightron SIII scopes the more I think they are the cats meow! These things are great,and the rifles aren't too shabby either.

Yeah,we'll have to get together in the near future,but I'll probably be going to the deer lease on my next weekend off. I have to get my new feeder setup,and probably have to brush hog the pasture for the owner,since I hunt for free there. THB

Old 05-27-2010, 10:18 PM   #5

Liked 47 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
I have to get my new feeder setup,and probably have to brush hog the pasture for the owner,since I hunt for free there. THB
Gee, wish I could help, but I think I'm busy that weekend.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:20 PM   #6
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Gee, wish I could help, but I think I'm busy that weekend.
You always know who your friends are.They are always busy when you need their help. HA HA HA!

Old 05-28-2010, 04:56 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Good shooting and a couple of nice rifles Tx.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-05-2010, 01:12 AM   #8

very nice!