Took a new shooter to the range today :)

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Took a new shooter to the range today :)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 05:12 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default Took a new shooter to the range today :)

One of my friends has expressed interest in going to the range with me for some time now...but she has also been really nervous about it. She is from NYC and like me, didn't have any experience with guns growing up. Today I took her to the range for her first time.

Before we went to the range I went over safety with her, explained how the ammo and gun work, and showed her how to hold the gun properly and operate it correctly, etc.

We took my new 10/22 because it is my easiest gun to shoot and doesn't have the recoil that some of my handguns do. She was still a bit nervous (she didn't really know what to expect at the range and expressed some apprehension at whether others at the range would be acting responsibly and safely.)

She ended up having a blast! She handled the rifle safely the whole time and her fears were allayed when she saw the others shooters also handling their firearms safely. I had her load one round first, then a couple, then however many she felt like. We kept the target between 7-10 yds. I figured we weren't trying to impress anyone with distance, but rather have her focus on operating the rifle safely and building confidence. She ended up with a center of mass grouping and a head grouping, only one shot on the side of the target paper.

Most importantly, she was safe and is looking forward to going back again!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-31-2012, 05:15 AM   #2

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Sounds like a successful outing. Chalk one up for shadamai

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 01-31-2012, 06:04 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Very cool! There is nothing like a .22 to get things started comfortably.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:38 AM   #4

Way to go! Sounds like a great first experience. Great job.

"When you've done all you can do & it's still broken..hold your head up, turn around, & walk away."

Old 02-04-2012, 03:01 AM   #5

To share a similar story, a neighbor across the street from me had seen me out in my garage cleaning my guns and reloading ammo. We have spoken several times and even had a beer together during yard work. A couple days ago he asked if he could bring some guns that his uncle gave him over so I could show how to clean them. The next day he brought over two beautiful guns, a 9mm Smith & Wesson model 39 and a 4’’ barrel Colt Python 357 Magnum. What great guns to have been giving, and the condition of both guns were near mint!

After going over some gun safety, we disassembled the guns and clean them although they were already very clean. He mentioned that he needed to find a place to shoot and have someone show him how. I offered to take him out to the range and share what little knowledge I had with him.

The range outing was a big success and I am convinced that we now have a new gun enthusiast to add to our list.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:34 AM   #6

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

That must have been a great feeling. Good on you Shadamai!!

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 02-04-2012, 03:46 AM   #7

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I am glad your neighbor liked the shooting experience. First time shooters start feeling the itch after a few rounds. I took my 60-year-old neighbor to the range to shoot my new Phoenix HP22. I just about had to pry her fingers off of it to get it back. She shot 50 rounds and loved the little gun, so much more than the CF .380 she shot a week ago.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:49 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

image-1990597126.jpg

My 60 year old friend shooting for the first time a couple of weeks ago! He's going for his ccw tomorrow!

Notice the flash and bullet going down range. One in a million photo!

Last edited by losack; 02-04-2012 at 05:36 AM.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:22 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcmsse9 View Post
To share a similar story, a neighbor across the street from me had seen me out in my garage cleaning my guns and reloading ammo. We have spoken several times and even had a beer together during yard work. A couple days ago he asked if he could bring some guns that his uncle gave him over so I could show how to clean them. The next day he brought over two beautiful guns, a 9mm Smith & Wesson model 39 and a 4’’ barrel Colt Python 357 Magnum. What great guns to have been giving, and the condition of both guns were near mint!

After going over some gun safety, we disassembled the guns and clean them although they were already very clean. He mentioned that he needed to find a place to shoot and have someone show him how. I offered to take him out to the range and share what little knowledge I had with him.

The range outing was a big success and I am convinced that we now have a new gun enthusiast to add to our list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger-6 View Post
I am glad your neighbor liked the shooting experience. First time shooters start feeling the itch after a few rounds. I took my 60-year-old neighbor to the range to shoot my new Phoenix HP22. I just about had to pry her fingers off of it to get it back. She shot 50 rounds and loved the little gun, so much more than the CF .380 she shot a week ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by losack View Post
Attachment 38651

My 60 year old friend shooting for the first time a couple of weeks ago! He's going for his ccw tomorrow!

Notice the flash and bullet going down range. One in a million photo!
It's definitely a good feeling introducing someone to shooting for the first time. It sounds like y'all's friends really enjoyed their experiences, too.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:41 AM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8843 Times on 5118 Posts
Likes Given: 11566

My 81-year old mother asked me yesterday to bring her to the range. I'm going to have to do it soon. She has never fired a gun in her life and for quite a long time she was horrified that I am one of "Those People". Over time though I guess she has seen something good in it, the way we have trained our sons to be responsible and built a strong trust with them. It shows I guess and she is interested.