Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Range Report (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/)
-   -   Took my CCW course today (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/took-my-ccw-course-today-32936/)

buckhuntr 10-12-2010 02:55 AM

Took my CCW course today

2 Attachment(s)
I finally did it - took the Oklahoma CCW course today. :) But damnation, that was a long 'un! I arrived at the gate to Zink Ranch at about 7:15 this AM (wife thinks I'm nuts to voluntarily get up so early on a day off) to meet the instructor and the other 'student', and at about 7:45 we got started at the Red Castle Gun Club range inside the ranch. After the obligatory coverage of the Oklahoma Self Defense Act, and a more than thorough rundown of gun safety and operation (geared towards newby shooters, it seemed), we finally got to the firing line in at about 2:45 or 3:00 PM. That's when the fun started. I had my Para-Ordnance P10.45 and a new box of Monarch 230-gr FMJ .45 ACP.

We started out shooting 30 rounds at 3 yards, then moved to 5 yards for the final 20 rounds. I think I did ok for only having shot sparingly with a handgun since my wrist surgery over 3 years ago. I'll admit to being leery for a long time about whether a large-bore handgun would overly stress the wrist (it has 13 screws and a metal plate from where it was put back together after a fracture), but it's my non-dominant hand and I had no issues whatsoever today.
The last 20 rounds or so today, I was basically aiming at the hole just under the X where the paper used to be. :D I had a few flyers, but pretty much knew as soon as I shot that they were off. The Monarch ammo is the Sports Academy house brand, according to the sales clerk yesterday, and at $18.99/50, was the best value to be had there, even if it is made in Serbia. I had no FTF's or FTE's, and I think it all hit the paper, so I'm pleased with it. The only hitch in the session was when the extender floorplate of the magazine slipped off as I was inserting the mag, and the spring and 5 rounds dropped onto the bench. :eek::o

Now all I have to do is get the paperwork filled out for the permit.

RugerShootinGal 10-12-2010 03:02 AM

Hey Buck that is great!!! I am happy for you.:D

dunerunner 10-12-2010 03:44 AM

Congrats!! Exercise your rights or loose them!

collegekid20 10-12-2010 04:25 AM

congratulations.

Neophyte1 10-12-2010 09:15 AM

Good Shooting

buckhuntr: Sir, congratulations:) good shooting too:)

spittinfire 10-12-2010 11:19 AM

Glad to hear you knocked that out! That looks like one dead BG. I remember when I took it, I couldn't wait for the day to end.

NGIB 10-12-2010 07:13 PM

Glad we have no testing/training requirement here in GA - I'd probably flunk.

Congrats on joining the club of those responsible for our own defense...

masterPsmith 10-13-2010 03:07 PM

Congrats, glad your wrist held together..

Jim...........

Jo da Plumbr 10-13-2010 03:30 PM

Carry safe sir.

Gojubrian 10-13-2010 04:43 PM

Congratulations! It's all worth it. Carry everyday. I feel naked without mine now.