Took the M&P 9 Pro Series to the range
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Took the M&P 9 Pro Series to the range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2013, 01:28 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Default Took the M&P 9 Pro Series to the range

It has been over a week since I got this S&W M&P 9 Pro Series with 5" barrel and yesterday was the first time I got to try it out. This is only my second striker fired hand gun, the other being a Glock 19. Not faulting the Glock at all but this pistol is better in looks, grip, and trigger (IMO). The grip is as comfortable as that of a CZ 75 which I think is one of the best feeling in the hand pistols out there. I put the large grip adapter on the M&P for today's trial and I like it over the other choices. The trigger is creep free and breaks clean and crisp. Shooting steel with this M&P is great fun and I had little trouble hitting the plates at 50', 25,37 & 50 yards off hand. I tried it on paper at 50' and got 8 out of 10 in the black off hand. A little more time with this new pistol and I hope to have them all in the black, ha. I am not yet a total fan of the polymer striker fired pistols but this is a very nice one and easy to shoot. I will give it a 9 out of 10 for a rating and that may improve as I do more shooting with it.

The "Old Guys" figured they better take advantage of the break in the weather and get ourselves to the range before the snow starts falling. It did get up to 54 yesterday afternoon and the sun even came out for a while.

Jack had a days vacation and brought his S&W M&P 9 Pro Series with 4 1/2" barrel. He shoots it well. He also had his M&P Shield 9mm and his Ruger LCR in .22lr, which is a fun little revolver.

Jim had his trusty Winchester Wildcat .22lr. I am constantly impressed with the quality and accuracy of this economically priced rifle. When Jim is on, that rifle will make dime sized groups at 50 yards with CCI Std. Vel. ammo. He also had his S&W 22A .22lr on which he installed an AIM red dot. As soon as he had it zeroed he was hitting the 8" steel plate at 100 yards. That ain't to shabby for an old man and a gun and sight that cost less than $250.00.

Bob had his S&W 6946 9mm. It is a police trade-in with a little cosmetic wear but he can hit the steel plate at 50 yards both rested and off hand. He had his Beretta Neos with a Simmons red dot and he too was hitting the steel plate at 100 yards. Jack tried it also and he too was hitting the 100 yard steel.

We are becoming addicted to shooting those steel plates. Just something about hearing them ring when hit.

I had that new M&P and also one of my very favorite plinkers, a Ruger MK III Target with a Burris Fastfire II red dot.

As always you just can't beat a day at the range with good friends and I am blessed to have such friends.

dscf0001.jpg   dscf0002.jpg   dscf0005.jpg   dscf0010.jpg   dscf0011.jpg  

dscf0014.jpg   dscf0015.jpg   dscf0017.jpg   dscf0022.jpg   dscf0024.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-23-2013, 02:23 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Sounds like a good time. Thanks for sharing.

Always have clean socks.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1404 Times on 710 Posts
Likes Given: 1027

Good report & pics

Old 12-03-2013, 04:48 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

So you like the Smith and Wesson Pro pretty well then? I have been looking at it and the Springfield XDm 9mm competition. I'd love to try idpa in the future.

"... I simply cannot stand by and watch a right guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States come under attack from those who either can't understand it, don't like the sound of it, or find themselves too philosophically squeamish to see why it remains the first among equals: Because it is the right we turn to when all else fails. That's why the Second Amendment is America's first freedom. ..."
Charlton Heston
Speech to National Press club
September, 1997

Old 12-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 1309 Times on 887 Posts
Likes Given: 166

Very nice, thanks for sharing

Old 12-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Yes kem, I do like the Pro Series. I had shot the 4.5" barreled version and liked it a lot but for my use of the gun which is strictly range use I preferred the longer barrel for increased sight radius. I also prefer the fiber optic front sight over the night sights the shorter barrel pistol has. But those are just personal preferences and nothing negative about the other options. One other item in the decision to get the Smith is that it is American made where many of the competing pistols are not.

I did own a Glock 19 and have to say that was the easiest to shoot well pistol I ever picked up. I have not shot any of the Springfield XDs but see a larger following. I also prefer the grip on the Smith to that on the Glock. There is a lot of discussion about the triggers on the various striker fired guns and many have installed the Apex trigger parts on their Smiths. I don't know about the non pro series guns but at this time I find no complaints with the stock trigger on this new pro pistol. What I need now is more range time but I am a fair weather shooter so will have to wait on better weather. Old guys like to just sit by the fire when it is cold and nasty outside, ha.

Last edited by Chief51; 12-03-2013 at 08:30 PM.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2024 Times on 1199 Posts
Likes Given: 990

My observation mirror yours. I was forced to use glocks for the last 10 years and when I got my M&P it was so much better than the glocks in every aspect. I wish I would have been allowed to carry the M&P instead of the 'cheap' golck!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 12-04-2013, 03:55 AM   #8

Liked 136 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 146

I have 3 competition models...the M&P is my favorite, mostly because of the stock trigger. The Glock and S&W are .40 cal while the XDM is 9mm. Glock and XDM I regard as toss-ups but the Smith is much better for me...glad you like yours!

photo.jpg  

Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind.
-Thomas Jefferson to James Smith, 1822.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
I have 3 competition models...the M&P is my favorite, mostly because of the stock trigger. The Glock and S&W are .40 cal while the XDM is 9mm. Glock and XDM I regard as toss-ups but the Smith is much better for me...glad you like yours!
Nice looking group of pistols there! I haven't shot any of the above but just from holding them in my hand the XDm feels the best. I would love to get a chance to shoot them but I may have to just decide on shear ergonomics. From feel I like the XDm, then the Smith. I really didn't like the Glock at all but I've never really cared for them.
"... I simply cannot stand by and watch a right guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States come under attack from those who either can't understand it, don't like the sound of it, or find themselves too philosophically squeamish to see why it remains the first among equals: Because it is the right we turn to when all else fails. That's why the Second Amendment is America's first freedom. ..."
Charlton Heston
Speech to National Press club
September, 1997