Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Thanksgiving Weekend at the Range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Default Thanksgiving Weekend at the Range

Some of you may recollect that I work weekends as a Range Officer at a large outdoor range in the DFW area. We have four shotgun venues, rifle, pistol and 3D archery ranges as well as a large retail operation. This past weekend was insanely busy.

Did my normal assignment running two hand trap ranges. For the most part it was fairly normal except for the crowds. At times we had a 2 hour waiting line.

I always have the same safety talk and check for appropriate ammo before shooters begin busting clays.

There were a few instances of bat **** craziness though...

A family was shooting and a 12 year old picked up his older brothers O/U and shot the first barrel at a clay. Then he shot the second barrel a foot in front of his left foot. I saw it from about 50' away. After he, I and his family had a come to Jesus meeting, I laid back to my OP. 20 or so minutes later, same young future democrat shot a clay and started jumping up and down sweeping his shotgun in my direction. Well, they were the first I kicked off the range that day.

Later, another family was shooting using one of our rented O/U's. The father was an overbearing, obnoxious sort of a foreign persuasion. When the second barrel quit firing, I went over a sprayed the firing pins with some Rem Oil and it shot OK for a few rounds and the had the same problem. The older son (20ish) was holding the gun with one spent round, one live. I was reaching for the shotgun to clear the shells when the old man grabbed the gun literally yelling that it was a POS and he was getting another. Took me a few steps to catch him to unload it before he went into the store (still yelling). I informed him nicely but firmly that he was being unsafe. A while later with another of our rentals, the father hit a clay with the first shot and while bragging of his keen ability to his sons and wife, swept the gun pointing it at them, the people on the next machine and me. Probably 10 seconds later or less, I was holding the gun in one hand while holding back a screaming mad idiot with the other. They were the second group kicked off.

Had two instances of people trying to jump the waiting lines. One was almost a fist fight before I got them separated. That jumper went home without shooting. The second line jumper feigned he didn't speak English when I moved him to the back end of the line. Yeah right.

The range fee on our hand traps is that you buy our proprietary clays. $25 and any number of shooters can shoot. 135 clays and range fee inclusive. Well, you can buy Champion or Remington clays at Walmart or Academy for quite a bit less. Caught two more democrats having put cheaper clays in our cartons so the wouldn't have to pay. Two more sent home.

Lots of first time shooters. Many being taught by poorly taught family members. Spent a lot of time with both.

The Range Officers on the other venues had similar craziness this weekend. Wasn't a full moon.

Great job except for the dickheads.

Back out there next weekend for sure.

Texas Damnit
2nd Place Medalist - SE Asia War Games (1971-72)

AleksiR Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #2

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Wow !! keep your head down.

NEVER FORGET

Old 11-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #3

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Whats with the politics...how on earth is that even necessary/relevant in your rant? Stick to your day job, leave the GOP lobbyist hat at home eh? Let's not think the red team is much better than the blue team in terms of 2A....

Anyways, thats quite a scary task you have there when it gets busy. Law of averages comes into play and sounds like you get more idiots with large numbers. Yikes.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #4

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

With all that going on I'm surprised nothing more serious happened.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215
Whats with the politics...how on earth is that even necessary/relevant in your rant? Stick to your day job, leave the GOP lobbyist hat at home eh? Let's not think the red team is much better than the blue team in terms of 2A....

Anyways, thats quite a scary task you have there when it gets busy. Law of averages comes into play and sounds like you get more idiots with large numbers. Yikes.
There's also a 1st Amendment partner...

Texas Damnit

orangello Likes This 
Old 11-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #6

Liked 310 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 536

Yeah, and in exercising my 1st Ammendment right, I will have to say that I agree with Stainless. There are many Democrats who are safe and enthusiastic gun owners. Ignorance leads to prejudice and no group should ever be condemned due to the actions of a few.
cottontop

Last edited by cottontop; 11-26-2012 at 10:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 11-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #7
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5642 Times on 3318 Posts
Likes Given: 4751

I've only been to a real range for a few childhood competitions, but i don't think i would sweep my own family with a shotgun, ouch.

It sounds as if the place was plenty busy, but wouldn't an animatronic turkey target be a laugh on Thanksgiving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmerfudge View Post
There's also a 1st Amendment partner...
Indeed there is! Let's all remember the "opinions vs armpits" comparison in reference to the OP's relatively venomless remark.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 11-26-2012, 10:42 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop
Yeah, and in exercising my 1st Ammendment right, I will have to say that I agree with Stainless. There are many Democrats who are safe and enthusiastic gun owners. Ignorance leads to prejudice and no group should ever be condemned due to that actions of a few.
cottontop
Well you sure put me in my place. I'm going to take my Libertarian butt out to the woodshed for a good trashing. BTW, I dislike most Republicans and Democrats equally. Ignorant perhaps, prejudice probably not. Well maybe a little against Yankees and Air Force pilots. HAHA

Texas Damnit

Old 11-26-2012, 10:52 PM   #9

Liked 310 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 536

Default range

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmerfudge View Post
Well you sure put me in my place. I'm going to take my Libertarian butt out to the woodshed for a good trashing. BTW, I dislike most Republicans and Democrats equally. Ignorant perhaps, prejudice probably not. Well maybe a little against Yankees and Air Force pilots. HAHA

Have to agree. I don't care much for Yankees either. I prefer the Detroit Tigers, but now I am a hard core Tampa Bay Rays fan.
cottontop

Old 11-26-2012, 10:54 PM   #10

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I don't generally care for yankees. I married one. She put sugar in my cornbread. Hell with that. Some are okay I reckon, as long as they ain't making my cornbread.

Don't care all that much for hardcore democrats or republicans either. If you have your persuasion, fine, but neither party will ever produce a savior, and to think that either will is just freaking stupid. Blindly following ANYTHING is equally freaking stupid.

My yankee ex drove us several hundred miles out of the way once. We were supposed to be in Knoxville, buy when I woke up, we were in Tuscaloosa. She was following the car in front of us. Yeah... We didn't even know them. Just a random person.

She is stupid.