Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Range Report (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/)
-   -   Testing .40 cals - M&P and Glock 22 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/testing-40-cals-m-p-glock-22-a-59996/)

TacticalSenior 03-11-2012 10:44 PM

Testing .40 cals - M&P and Glock 22

4 Attachment(s)
I got out to Reeds Indoor Range today and rented a couple of .40 cals. I have my mind made up on the Beretta PX4 Storm for my 9mm purchase. So it was time to start the research for my .40 cal purchase. I started off with the M&P and Glock 22. I shot 50 rounds through each. I liked both. I would be happy to own both and may one day but I have to start with one. CZ, SIG, XD and Heckler & Koch at a minimum will be included in my research.

In the Isosceles stance the M&P sites seemed to work better for me. In the Weaver stance the Glock sites worked better for me. I am probably not being fair to either gun as I have recently started shooting again after 25 years. I have noticed having fired the Glock 17, 19, 34 and now the 22 I have not found the trick with the magazine release. I can't figure out the right way to depress the release button so the mag comes out. The M&P no problem, press the button and out drops the mag each time. I will sort it out soon because I really like the Glocks.

The best part of my range trip was after I went through 100 rounds of .40 cal I pulled out my 22/45. What a gas! For a moment I had to ask myself if any rounds were leaving the barrel because there was so little muzzle climb compared to the .40's.

The mission for my purchases is home defense and recreational shooting. I would love to carry but I live in California and need to stay in California for a while.

JTJ 03-12-2012 12:19 AM

I was more interested in the M&P. Did you change the back strap to fit or just run with what was on it? Our local FNRA is raffling one and I will be selling tickets at a gun show at the end of the month.

TacticalSenior 03-12-2012 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 737144)
Did you change the back strap to fit or just run with what was on it?

Just ran with it as it was a rental. I didn't think about how it fit my hand being a full size frame. I should pay more attention to the fit. Good luck with the raffel.

JTJ 03-12-2012 03:17 AM

The new Glock Gen 4's have changeable back straps too.

Ledbetter84 03-12-2012 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalSenior
I would love to carry but I live in California and need to stay in California for a while.

Sorry about having to stay in commiefornia. I'm looking at the g22 as well, but I'm an XD guy. I just need one for the academy.

USMC-03 03-12-2012 06:33 AM

I have Glocks and M&P's...they are both great pistols. I like the grip system on the M&P better but the grip angle on the Glock. I shoot them equally and carry my M&P .45 on duty and usually a Glock 19 or M&P .40c off duty.

Ledbetter84 03-13-2012 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USMC-03
I have Glocks and M&P's...they are both great pistols. I like the grip system on the M&P better but the grip angle on the Glock. I shoot them equally and carry my M&P .45 on duty and usually a Glock 19 or M&P .40c off duty.

Most agency's here issue a glock 22. I've never shot the m&p but I've always been a S&W guy... Next purchase?

USMC-03 03-13-2012 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ledbetter84

Most agency's here issue a glock 22. I've never shot the m&p but I've always been a S&W guy... Next purchase?

If you like the feel then it then it would make an outstanding purchase. They're great guns.