Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Range Report (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/)
-   -   Teaching the wife to shoot. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/teaching-wife-shoot-106945/)

Airborne1 05-12-2014 12:13 PM

Teaching the wife to shoot.

2 Attachment(s)
Saturday The wife and I went up the hill to a place where I could give her some instruction on safety and shooting my Makarov. I wanted to see if she would be better suited for an auto or revolver. She was ok with the recoil but she could not jack one into the chamber, so I guess I will get her a revolver.
The first picture is her best of 3 targets. She hit 8 times out of about 12 rounds.
The second pic is my 20 rounds, 19 good hits, and one on the top right edge. The one on the edge made me make an adjustment to my sights.

The shooting distance was 20 foot to the target.

KG7IL 05-12-2014 03:32 PM

She may need some time at a guns shop that have a variety of different models. One may be right for her.

I double checked and yep.... Makarov is straight blowback.
These springs are quite heavy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The PM is a medium-size, straight-blowback-action, frame-fixed-barrel handgun.
In blowback designs, the only force holding the slide closed is that of the recoil spring;

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makarov_9mm_pistol

JimRau 05-12-2014 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airborne1 (Post 1574384)
Saturday The wife and I went up the hill to a place where I could give her some instruction on safety and shooting my Makarov. I wanted to see if she would be better suited for an auto or revolver. She was ok with the recoil but she could not jack one into the chamber, so I guess I will get her a revolver.
The first picture is her best of 3 targets. She hit 8 times out of about 12 rounds.
The second pic is my 20 rounds, 19 good hits, and one on the top right edge. The one on the edge made me make an adjustment to my sights.

What distance/range where this targets placed from her?
Just from a simplicity of operation and safety stand point the revolver is usually the best for a beginners who want to use it for SD.

TekGreg 05-12-2014 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airborne1 (Post 1574384)

The biggest mistake I've seen in this type of training is big, muscular guys (maybe you, Airborne? :D ) that can rack a slide with their teeth trying to show inexperienced, smaller people how to do it. This short video on YouTube shows the proper way those of smaller stature or smaller muscle development should rack a slide. It's much more efficient than forcing

JTJ 05-12-2014 06:03 PM

My problem was my wife did not like to load magazines. As long as I was stuffing the rounds into the mags she was quite happy with an semi auto and never had a problem racking the slide even on my 1911's. She never had much problem with the recoil either.

TekGreg 05-12-2014 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 1574530)
My problem was my wife did not like to load magazines. As long as I was stuffing the rounds into the mags she was quite happy with an semi auto and never had a problem racking the slide even on my 1911's. She never had much problem with the recoil either.

I would give her an Butler Creek UpLula and teach her how to use it. In fact, I did give one to my wife so that mine quit disappearing. One for centerfire handles every pistol magazine I own and now the wife and I will load up magazines after shooting while sitting on the couch watching TV.

JTJ 05-12-2014 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TekGreg (Post 1574549)
I would give her an Butler Creek UpLula and teach her how to use it. In fact, I did give one to my wife so that mine quit disappearing. One for centerfire handles every pistol magazine I own and now the wife and I will load up magazines after shooting while sitting on the couch watching TV.

That was a long time ago when she was learning. She loads her own now. At the time though she was shooting a lot of 38 spl through an S&W 19 rather than load mags.

Airborne1 05-12-2014 09:39 PM

I added the distance to target, and I didn't realize the Mak was a blowback gun, it is a little hard to cock, but I don't think it is too bad. Seems simple enough to me, and no I am not some muscular guy. I am stronger than I look, but that's about it. I will take her to the gun shop and have her try jacking a new gun or two.

TekGreg 05-13-2014 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airborne1 (Post 1574637)
I added the distance to target, and I didn't realize the Mak was a blowback gun, it is a little hard to cock, but I don't think it is too bad. Seems simple enough to me, and no I am not some muscular guy. I am stronger than I look, but that's about it. I will take her to the gun shop and have her try jacking a new gun or two.

Good idea to try some used or rental guns, as those springs will loosen up with use. Hate to pass on a good gun because it was stiff new. ;)

Shoobee 05-13-2014 01:43 AM

You teach your wifey to shoot and the most likely person she will ever shoot is you.

:D