Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > From TCP to LCP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2010, 04:00 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 7

Default TCP problem

The EXACT same thing happened the first time I shot my Taurus TCP!! The pin came out a little and the retaining clip made the frame bulge. I put it back, but now the gun will not shoot more than a clip without FTE. No stovepipe, but leaves the old shell in and tries to ram another on it's back end. I guess I will send it back, but will never trust it. I am looking at buying a S&W .380 Body Guard when the come out if the reviews are good. Maybe I should stick to a tried and true Ruger LCP... any words of wisdom?

Old 05-16-2010, 05:06 PM   #12
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

Just got the Mrs. an LCP, I think you got yourself a good little pocket pistol you will be happy with.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:08 PM   #13

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlBob518 View Post
Maybe I should stick to a tried and true Ruger LCP... any words of wisdom?
Think you already said 'em

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 05-16-2010, 11:23 PM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Stick to Ruger. I can't understand why people still insist on gambling with their $$$ when you could just spend it on a sure deal from the start.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:52 AM   #15

Liked 38 Times on 14 Posts

Default TCP for me

I looked at the Kaltec and the Ruger LCP and the Taurus TCP. The Ruger costs more for the stainless slide and you do not get an extra mag 28$ value and the holster is worth 15$ so Taurus gave me an extra 43$ out of the gate, plus a SS slide. I took it to the range today and ran 100 rounds of reloads. If anything will give me trouble it is a reload. I loaded them with 95 gr. FJM and JHPs. It ran every one with no FTF or FTE. I also ran 100 rounds of reloaded 9mm through my Beretta FS92 and had 3 FTEs. and 1 FTF.
I thought the gun [TCP] would bark much more than it did. It was small in the hand but that’s the nature of the beast. It was very accurate at 10 yards and the sights were about point of aim. The sights are not something this gun was designed for and for a carry gun it’s hard to beat. The Holster is designed to look like a phone or PDA case. It does not have a place for the extra mag.
As far as all the hoopla over the supposed metal support on the slide hold back, Ruger does not even have a hold back so if it fails and I see no reason that it will you are back at the point of what a Ruger offers, nothing lost.
The take down was easy and you do need a knife or a finger nail to pull the pin. Not a problem, my nail is about 1/8th inch long and worked fine. There is no second strike and this is a bit disappointing, but with good ammo it should not be a big problem.
I like the looks of the Ruger but it did not fit in my hand. Maybe small handed women and men will like it but I have medium hands and it was a bit to small and slim to hold properly. The Taurus fit my hand much better.
I have had several Taurus pistols and I wish I had sold my Beretta FS92 and kept my Taurus PT92 instead. I love the safety on the Taurus much better than the Berretta, and the extra couple of hundred bucks would have been nice also. I have nothing against the Ruger but after all the pluses that Taurus gave me it was a no brainer.
If its problems you want the LCP has had a load of recalls. Ruger may have gotten it fixed but they sure had a load of trouble out of the gate. I think the Taurus trashing is selective memory loss.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by edteach View Post
I looked at the Kaltec and the Ruger LCP and the Taurus TCP. The Ruger costs more for the stainless slide and you do not get an extra mag 28$ value and the holster is worth 15$ so Taurus gave me an extra 43$ out of the gate, plus a SS slide. I took it to the range today and ran 100 rounds of reloads. If anything will give me trouble it is a reload. I loaded them with 95 gr. FJM and JHPs. It ran every one with no FTF or FTE. I also ran 100 rounds of reloaded 9mm through my Beretta FS92 and had 3 FTEs. and 1 FTF.
I thought the gun [TCP] would bark much more than it did. It was small in the hand but that’s the nature of the beast. It was very accurate at 10 yards and the sights were about point of aim. The sights are not something this gun was designed for and for a carry gun it’s hard to beat. The Holster is designed to look like a phone or PDA case. It does not have a place for the extra mag.
As far as all the hoopla over the supposed metal support on the slide hold back, Ruger does not even have a hold back so if it fails and I see no reason that it will you are back at the point of what a Ruger offers, nothing lost.
The take down was easy and you do need a knife or a finger nail to pull the pin. Not a problem, my nail is about 1/8th inch long and worked fine. There is no second strike and this is a bit disappointing, but with good ammo it should not be a big problem.
You rolled the dice with a TCP and won, good for you! I rolled the dice twice, a TCP and a Judge.... lost both times big time. I think that is what people are saying, it's almost looks seems like how your Taurus works depends on who shows up at the factory the day your gun is made. A large local gunshop stopped selling Taurus when it got to sending back 1 out of 3 sold. I'm not Taurus bashing, just telling of my experiences.

-Bob

Old 07-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #17

Default Taurus

I did the same. Before I bought I asked three gun shops where I was shopping to buy. I asked if they had any returns on the TCP or would they recommend the Ruger over the TCP. Every one said they had never returned a TCP and they sell more TCPs because of the SS and mag and holster plus price point than the LCPs.

I even brought up that there were some on line that did not like the TCP and was told that if you put any guns name in followed by sucks you will get a bunch of hits as there is always someone that does not like something. And I did, Google RUGER LCP sucks and I got over 2 thousand hits. Same with the TCP and Ruger had the recall so I don't think that its Taurus having any more problems than Ruger, its more personal opinion.

I knew long ago that there are many people that like Ruger just because it is an American name in the industry and Taurus is Brazilian even thought its made in the USA. I have had over 700 guns in my life and I can't remember ever having one that was just a POS. I have a Davis derringer 38special and yes its zink and the bbl. release had been twisted of by some idiot that over stressed it, I bought it for 40$ called Davis they sent me a new on free and I put it on and it works great today. I had a Beretta Tomcat that the tip up bbl springs snapped on the first day out with a brand new gun and Beretta fixed it.

I had a problem with a Ruger where the finish just turned color and I had to send it back and Ruger wanted to charge me saying I let it sit in light acid like tomato juice or lemon juice. I had to get on my high horse telling them to keep the damn thing and they finally relented. I have now three Ruger’s all great guns a red hawk SS, old mark 11 SS and a SS 45 Vaquero and I purchased the last one after I had a colt cowboy on law away and it had a glitch in the cylinder turning mechanism and the Ruger was 250 less and functioned flawlessly.

I can't remember ever having a gun that some tweaking would not fix. I did have a Taurus pt145 early model where some people claimed that the frame would crack, I called Taurus and they said that they had tested the guns of all the runs and that there was not a problem and that it was people using plus p loads or hand loads with to much pressure. I sold my Taurus and it was as good of shape as the day I bought it.

I had a Ruger P97 were every time you shot it after about three to five shots the slide stop would work its way out and the gun would jam. I called Ruger and after I had sold the gun just because I did not like it they called me back and said that there was not a problem with any of their guns and they would still send me a new guide rod and slide stop. I have it for sale for anyone who owns a p97 its ss guide rod and slide stop and spring. I knew the gun could be fixed I just sold it because I never liked it, I bought it to help a friend who needed money. I will take my colt 1911 any day of the week and twice on Sunday over any 45.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:57 PM   #18

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Ruger has had exactly ONE recall on the LCPs. Please get your facts straight if you're presenting them as facts instead of opinion.

Quote:
If its problems you want the LCP has had a load of recalls. Ruger may have gotten it fixed but they sure had a load of trouble out of the gate. I think the Taurus trashing is selective memory loss.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 07-22-2010, 03:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Ruger has had exactly ONE recall on the LCPs. Please get your facts straight if you're presenting them as facts instead of opinion.
I do have my facts straight you took my facts wrong. I did not say it had many different recalls. I was saying that the recall was not limited to a small amount of guns from a small run that it was across the board. A recall is a recall and Ruger has had its share of problems. I would be tomorrows rent that if you took the TCP and put Ruger on it and the LCP and put Taurus on it, the same people would say that the LCP with a Taurus name is garbage. Its brand loyalty, I used to be like that with Chevy, nothing Japan could build would ever stand up, until my Chevy's started to be in the shop more than out and the Toyota buyers had 150k with their cars never seeing the inside of the shop.

My Chevy Silverado has had more trouble than I could shake a stick at. My Toyota has been in the shop once since I bought it and that was for the recall that I never had a problem with in the first place. It’s got 80k on it and not a bolt turned. My Chevy had several recalls and when I sold it the transmission was slipping and the air conditioner pump was sizing up and wheel bearings were going out all at 50k. And I did not use it for work. My brother in construction has a Toyota pickup with 156k on it and it has had one universal joint and one key ignition put into it, and he works it every day, or he did up till a year ago when the economy went to hell.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:16 PM   #20

Quote:
I did the same. Before I bought I asked three gun shops where I was shopping to buy. I asked if they had any returns on the TCP or would they recommend the Ruger over the TCP. Every one said they had never returned a TCP and they sell more TCPs because of the SS and mag and holster plus price point than the LCPs.
I agree with you that the TCP has a better grip (for me) and a much shorter trigger pull. I also picked the TCP over the LCP. But after that cleaning pin came out all on it's own, I was shooting at least 2 FTE every clip. Fix a target pistol, sure, but a survival gun, dump it. My Taurus Judge shot great for 50 rounds, then the cylindar started locking up. Sent it back, and have shot 20 rounds through it, seems OK, but I don't want to push it after waiting 7 weeks to have it fixed out of the box. I don't think anyone on this forum trashes guns, but rather expresses experiences so others may not have to relive them.

-Bob

Newest Threads