Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Range Report (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/)
-   -   From TCP to LCP (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/tcp-lcp-25620/)

TheOldMan 04-04-2010 11:03 AM

From TCP to LCP

3 Attachment(s)
Took the wife and daughter with me to the range yesterday to shoot a few guns that I'd bought but had not gotten around to shooting. One of these was my Taurus TCP .380. I brought some Magtech ammo to practice with.

Chambered a round and fired. Now everyone knows how long the trigger pull is on these little pocket pistols so I was prepared for it. What I was not prepared for was what happened next.. After the first round fired, the slide stayed locked open. No stove pipe or jammed round, the slide simply stayed open as if the magazine had run empty. I sent the slide forward which chambered the next round and fired again... same thing again, HOWEVER, this time I noticed that the pin that's used to disassemble the pistol was protruding outward.. !?!. Not too awfully concerned at that except that the frame was bulged out as well:eek:

TheOldMan 04-04-2010 11:23 AM

Part 2 of day at the range

After I saw this, I had my wife take a few photo's and I unloaded the pistol and set it aside.. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement... I was also angry.. I'd always stood by Taurus and thought their weapons to be top notch products. I never expected this.. We finished our shooting for the morning and packed up to head home. Stopped and ate some BBQ on the way back then headed straight to the shop where I'd purchesed this pistol.

Now this shop and I go way back but I never expected what happened next. After walking in and showing the pistol to one of the fella's at the counter, it was determined that a piece had come loose in the frame around the disassembly pin and that's what had caused the bulge in the frame. They were able to put the part back in place but they knew I'd already lost confidence in this pistol and was not going to be happy taking another TCP home with me.

Even though this was now a "used" gun, the owner made good by offering to trade me out for a different pistol... I am now the proud owner of a Ruger LCP which was the pistol I'd originally passed on for the TCP. The only reason I'd chosen the TCP was for it's lock open after the last shot's fired feature.

We'll see how this one runs and I'll post a range report soon..

stalkingbear 04-04-2010 07:19 PM

I'm sure you'll be happy with your LCP-I'm tickled with mine and carry it everywhere. Sorry about your luck with Taurus. It sadly seems to be a trend of Taurus's hit or miss on quality control.

Gojubrian 04-04-2010 07:57 PM

Wow! Didn't expect that. After all I've read on taurus in the last year I won't be buying one anytime soon, if ever! Good thing no one was hurt.

TheOldMan 04-05-2010 08:47 AM

It is unfortunate but I've been seeing more and more where Taurus is falling short on quality control. I've owned several of Taurus's guns over the years and still have a Tracker in .17 HMR. The PT92 I had ran flawlessly. I guess this model got pushed out to the public a little too fast .. I'd even been promoting their 1911 to my friends up until I heard about safety latches breaking off :(

Blackwaterkatz 04-05-2010 12:49 PM

I suppose I've just been lucky, but I recently sold a Taurus pt140 as well as a 941ss/4 that have been extremely reliable for me. I had had both of them for a number of years, though. Maybe quality was better back when I bought them. The only issue I had was tight extraction of fired rounds with the revolver and a side plate screw that got lost. Both guns were at least as accurate as I am, and I don't recall ever having a malfunction with either one.

Gojubrian 04-06-2010 04:36 AM

All gun manufacturers have their hiccups, but the sheer number of taurus owners I have learned about whose pistol failed them in some way is staggering and beyond forgivable imo.

I had a taurus pt111 9mm pro for a couple of years. It only had 500rds through it, but it functioned fine. I'm not saying 100% of what taurus puts out is garbage. I'm saying it's not worth the risk. The public should not be the quality control for any gun makers.

diggsbakes 04-06-2010 05:04 AM

Seems like another steer clear form Taurus and get a Ruger scenario. . . Nothing wrong with that!

TheOldMan 04-06-2010 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diggsbakes (Post 265049)
Seems like another steer clear form Taurus and get a Ruger scenario. . . Nothing wrong with that!

Unfortunate but I'm going to steer clear of Taurus from now on. that day in the store I was hearing more folks talking about how bad Taurus seems to have gotten. I've also read that most of the warrantee returns from gun stores are for Taurus firearms.

UnderFire 04-06-2010 09:31 PM

Glad to hear that everything worked out for the best. It's always good to hear about gun stores taking good care of their customers. That's why my small local gun store gets 90 percent of my business. Years ago I bought a Taurus for the wife (she picked it out) it was plagued with problems, even after warranty repairs were done. The owner of my local gun store let us exchange it(with a little cash) for the S+W .38spl.she still has now. Enjoy that LCP!!