Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Range Report > Taurus PT92-AF

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2010, 12:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Taurus PT92-AF

I picked up a used PT92 at the Indy 1500 gun show last weekend so I've been itching to get down the range to try it out, and this afternoon I did.

Like I said it was used, and just came with the one magazine, no box or manual but I got it for a good deal and after today's range trip I'm more than happy with my purchase. I'd shot a friends Beretta 92FS before and loved the feel of the gun but even used they were a bit rich for me right now but having fired both I don't feel as if I scrimped and went for a lesser weapon. I put nearly 150 rounds through it this afternoon with zero problems of any kind, need to grab a few different brands of ammo just to try other options and get some more practice in. A couple more magazines and a mag loader wouldn't go amiss either

I love just how easy the Taurus is to strip to cleaning which is my next job, a good clean and oil job.

I was shooting a little way back from the 15ft line and my best 5 shot group was 1 1/2". The rest were anywhere from 2 1/2 to 4" so I know I need to get more range time in but this will be my home defense weapon as well as range piece so I want to know it inside and out and feel 100% comfortable with it. As it stands now though any of the shots I fired today would have hit a bad guy where it counts so I know I'm off to a good start.

I've read alot of good and bad things about the Taurus but so far I'm a very happy PT92 owner!

• Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once.
- Admiral Hornblower

• The purpose of war is not to die for your country. The purpose of war is to ensure that the other guy dies for his country.
- General Patton

• When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend.
- US Marine Corps

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-12-2010, 03:13 AM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

looks like a clean piece. whats the mag capacity?

we're Americans and we pray for peace, and if we can't have peace we find and destroy the people who screwed up the damn peace. So we can have some peace. - Christopher Titus

Old 06-12-2010, 05:18 AM   #3

I'm glad to hear about your experience. Ive been looking at this hand gun and have heard some good stuff about the Taurus model.

Marlin 882SS
Century C-93

Old 06-12-2010, 07:26 PM   #4

The mag capacity is 17 but I was stopping at 15, it's still tight and a struggle to get the last couple in as it is.

- Admiral Hornblower

• The purpose of war is not to die for your country. The purpose of war is to ensure that the other guy dies for his country.
- General Patton

- US Marine Corps

Old 06-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #5

Nice looking piece. Around here I see used Taurus PT92's for sale regularly at local shops and they are always priced within $50 of a used Beretta 92. Folks seem to really like the gun.

How do you like the Sellier & Bellot ammo? I've got four boxes of .45 Auto FMJ I got cheap and was wondering how it runs. Seems like most of the ammo I pickup lately is so dirty I hate to shoot it.

Last edited by Deadman1; 06-12-2010 at 08:00 PM.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:02 PM   #6

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Congrats on your new pistol. I like those S&B rounds a lot too. they are a little hot and usually really accurate. Hard to beat the price on them too.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-12-2010, 11:21 PM   #7

I found the S&B rounds nice and smooth, recoil was nothing but then again I was expecting much from a 9mm. They were all clean and fed fine.

The other rounds I was shooting was some hand loaded 115gr that I also picked up at the show. I don't know what the specs were etc but they shot fine but the S&B's seemed a bit more accurate, to me inexperienced hands anyway

- Admiral Hornblower

- General Patton

- US Marine Corps

Old 06-12-2010, 11:38 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

When did Taurus start frame mounting the safety?? I like that MUCH better than the Beretta's slide mounted one.

Good looking piece. Sounds like you are happy and if those groups are an indication, you can shoot her well too.

Congrats on the new addition.

JD

Old 06-13-2010, 12:14 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wheelspin, those Taurus PT 92`s are supposed to be very good guns.
When Beretta won the Brazilian Army contract for suppliying them with Beretta's 92's, one condition was that they would be made in Brazil by Beretta, so after this was done Beretta sold their machinery to Taurus,so they say they are very similar in quality to the original Beretta 92`s but a at a lower price.

Last edited by kcolg; 06-13-2010 at 01:16 AM.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:23 AM   #10

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
When did Taurus start frame mounting the safety?? I like that MUCH better than the Beretta's slide mounted one.

Good looking piece. Sounds like you are happy and if those groups are an indication, you can shoot her well too.

Congrats on the new addition.

JD
Might have been as early as 1997. I believe that the current PT92 also has a 3 position safety with a decocker that is independent of the safe setting, unlike the 92FS that decocks and safes the weapon simultaneously.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington